Can anyone explain what happened to this gun?

Looks like an inclusion or defect in the steel's grain. Hard to say more without the actual part and a metallurgical lab.

I've seen that before. It's caused by firing a shot with the compensator loose or misaligned. The first shot through throws crap into the barrel, the next bullet sheds its jacket, the third blows out the barrel. My guess is the trigger was "hard to pull" because the frame got bent.

The compensator on X-frame Smiths sometimes loosen up after a few shots when they're new. They also feature reverse threads. It's not unusual for people to think they're tight when they're not.

Is there something else to this story that I'm missing? 'Cause why wouldn't S&W replace this gun for the customer? I read his posts and went to his site but it still seems really odd that Smith wouldn't take care of this.

That whole gun needs replacing, not just the barrel.

I'm pretty sure he's not giving all the facts out, just trying to blame the manufacturer. He probably should have a talk with Hornady about it.

Something seems fishy to me. Did anyone else find it strange that neither he nor his son noticed that the barrel was busted until after putting the gun down; they didn't know which shot had caused the barrel to burst??? Poor powers of observation? Is the story everything it's reported to be? Hard to tell.

Is there something else to this story that I'm missing? 'Cause why wouldn't S&W replace this gun for the customer? I read his posts and went to his site but it still seems really odd that Smith wouldn't take care of this.

To answer your question, they replace for defects in workmanship and materials not for operator or ammo caused malfunctions.

S&W is extremely lenient with their policies but this looks like a case of exactly what EC described and that is not a defect in the product.

Kind of like asking Ford to take your truck back after you hit a tree [wink]

I've seen that before. It's caused by firing a shot with the compensator loose or misaligned. The first shot through throws crap into the barrel, the next bullet sheds its jacket, the third blows out the barrel. My guess is the trigger was "hard to pull" because the frame got bent.

The compensator on X-frame Smiths sometimes loosen up after a few shots when they're new. They also feature reverse threads. It's not unusual for people to think they're tight when they're not.

+1 [wink]

I agree!

Good answer EddieCoyle, thanks for the in sight in the X-Frame and "removable compensator"!

+1 on RGS and S&W.

S&W haven't solved all my problems but they've always been professional to deal with.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Smith has always done really well by me. Not that I've ever tried to have them repair a 12/20 burst or anything(for the record I've never done that, just using it as an example [smile]) but I feel like we're really only getting one side of the story on this one. And, it's a long story. Has anyone looked at the site he's put together on this? Looooooong.
Clearly a dissatisfied customer.

+1 on not noticing the barrel blew until the gun was laying on its side. The report had to be dramatically different. I'd say at least noticeably different to make you take a look at it. No, now that I think about it how do you miss a KB like that? Anyway.....
....Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day. Enjoy the leftovers.

I had the opposite reaction from 20 year old S&W when the barrel blew off my 38 snubby two years ago. Scared the crap out of me. They sent me a brand new Model 10 three weeks later. I am surprised at your problems.

Back
Top Bottom