Can multiple registrations raise red flags at CHSB?

This probably doesn't have much to do with state laws, but my brother and I filed five FA10 forms each, for the firearms my father left us. Will five forms in one envelope raise any red flags?

I have no idea but I am sure that Scrivener can answer this question. I think he has "connections" at CHSB.

A simple note that stated that you were registering firearms left to you in a will would have explained it. If anyone was curious.

Don't sweat it. They go to the Data Entry department where they are scanned in. Nobody is doing a "count". If they want to do a "run" on an individual they can, but I'll bet it never happens unless one of their buddies needs info for a anti-gun bill (1 gun/month) or some town is investigating someone for a real reason.

Plus dealers put many in an envelope to CHSB daily (unless they are totally computerized), so they are used to seeing stuffed envelopes.

There are NO restrictions on purchases, only sales, so don't worry about it.

I've always included the name and docket number of the estate and a copy of the appointment of the executor/trix with my cover letter to CHSB when fiing the FA-10s.

I've always included the name and docket number of the estate and a copy of the appointment of the executor/trix with my cover letter to CHSB when fiing the FA-10s.

I might do that, too, except that I never bother writing a cover letter. I'm sending in a form in order to comply with the law, not applying for a job. I don't include a cover letter with my tax returns either. If they can't figure out what's in the envelope, then they're probably only working there because they couldn't pass the qualification exam for one of those toll-taker jobs at the Pike. [rolleyes]

Ken

Where would you put the Docket Number? In the License Number blocks? I kind of like that idea but I don't think anyone there is intelligent enough to figure out what it is.

Appointment papers are irrelevant, as is a cover letter since they just put the FA-10 aside in a pile to scan into their database. Their program only reads what's in the little blocks on the form, nothing else is kept in the database. [I discussed putting "LE Sale" on the FA-10s to avoid the hassle that a few well-respected MA Dealers had with the AG a few years ago. Chief Ron Glidden advised me that they just scan it in and anything outside the little boxes is "lost" (ignored).] I'd be willing to bet that they throw out any appointment papers, cover letters, etc. that they get with the forms.

[And I'm being kind and ignoring the spelling errors. [wink] ]

Where would you put the Docket Number? In the License Number blocks? I kind of like that idea but I don't think anyone there is intelligent enough to figure out what it is.

Appointment papers are irrelevant, as is a cover letter since they just put the FA-10 aside in a pile to scan into their database.

The purpose of the cover letter is to make the purpose of a bulk filing obvious, if only to the superior called over by the scanning unit clerk.

It's also a nice CYA move, as is the appointment, since I list the executor/trix as the "seller." Being duly authorized to liquidate the contents of the estate and to distribute bequests, I keep them in the chain of custody, should there be any challenge as to a transfer.

I might do that, too, except that I never bother writing a cover letter. I'm sending in a form in order to comply with the law, not applying for a job.

Apparently you've confused a letter with a resume. [rolleyes]

I might do that, too, except that I never bother writing a cover letter. I'm sending in a form in order to comply with the law, not applying for a job. I don't include a cover letter with my tax returns either. If they can't figure out what's in the envelope, then they're probably only working there because they couldn't pass the qualification exam for one of those toll-taker jobs at the Pike. [rolleyes]

Ken

The purpose of the cover letter is to make the purpose of a bulk filing obvious, if only to the superior called over by the scanning unit clerk.

It's also a nice CYA move, as is the appointment, since I list the executor/trix as the "seller." Being duly authorized to liquidate the contents of the estate and to distribute bequests, I keep them in the chain of custody, should there be any challenge as to a transfer.

Apparently you've confused a letter with a resume. [rolleyes]

YOU brought up the resume.
Being self-employed, I don't need to worry about it. [wink]

I think you need to check your facts again, counselor. See above.

While I always keep an up-to-date resume just in case, I too get to pay self-employment taxes. [wave]

Ken

I think you need to check your facts again, counselor. See above.

I have - did you?

Since you obviously missed it - twice - here it is again:

I'm sending in a form in order to comply with the law, not applying for a job.

So what, pray tell, would your cover letter cover if NOT a resume? [wink]

Last edited:
Mod Hat On!

No, this is where a Mod jumps in and says "ENOUGH"!

Debating what a cover letter is or the value of same between ourselves is pointless!

----------------

To Scrivener, I have a task for you . . .

Since you are friendly with Caroline, would you please ask her what she does with things like your cover letter and appointment papers when they receive them? The results of that query could be of common value here and you have piqued my curiosity. Please report back here what she tells you? Thank you.

I don't think my day would be complete without reading a Scrivener post.

Like a day without sunshine! [wink]

Direct from CHSB:

A cover letter, with or without the appointment, is useful AT THE TIME THE DOCUMENT IS ENTERED, should there be a question.

However, what was recommended is THIS:

Have the executor/trix sign the FA-10 in that capacity AND put the estate name and probate docket number underneath the signature. As the document is scanned, it creates a permanent record of the transfer coming from an estate, which a cover letter does not.

Should the firearm ever be traced back, this will show the authority of the transferee. This makes it clear the transfer was legally done, as opposed to Mom inheriting Dad's guns and just giving them to Junior, who then improperly filed a "registration." [wink]

Last edited:
Scrivener,

First, a BIG THANK YOU! for some very useful info!

You "double-tapped" but the info in both is not identical. Could you please delete the text in the incorrect post and one of Mods will delete it?

Thanks.
Len

If all that is required it should be in the instructions. Inheriting guns is pretty common.

If it was really required to do all that, I'm surprised it's not
published somewhere.

As far as I know theres no requirement in the law to indicate where
it came from, but only that a person who recieves a gun and brings
it into MA registers it within a given period. As long as that objective
is fulfilled, then what is left for the CHSB to complain about?

I've never heard of them going "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH
INQUISITON! " WRT these forms. My belief is that they're happy
that people bother to send them in at all, given that there are an awful
lot of guns in MA which are "legally unregistered", either due to the
move-in clause or the bird-dropping based records destruction incident
from way back when.... In between both of those, it would stand
to reason that a high double digit percentage of guns out there in
private hands aren't even in the database.

-Mike

As far as I know theres no requirement in the law to indicate where it came from, but only that a person who recieves a gun and brings it into MA registers it within a given period. As long as that objective is fulfilled, then what is left for the CHSB to complain about?

First, the fact that there is a "SELLER" block of information on the FA-10 makes it quite obvious that there is indeed a "requirement in the law to indicate where it [the gun] came from."

Second, you assume that the inheritance is from out-of-state. This is another major flaw in your analysis, as the ones I've done were IN-state inheritances.

The instructions part of the form tells you to fill in the buyer info for a registration, it's simple to me, it means a transfer didn't take place.

The instructions part of the form tells you to fill in the buyer info for a registration, it's simple to me, it means a transfer didn't take place.

Really.

And how, pray tell, did the gun come into your possession; a gift of Divine Providence? [rolleyes]

All I can say is read the instructions, for registration it says to fill in the buyer info. For transfer it says to fill in the seller and buyer info.

Savage is absolutely right, that is what the instructions say on the form for "registration".

It also tracks what I was told for how to handle C&R purchases that came from out of state . . . and that is how I've been doing it. NO "seller info".

Really.

And how, pray tell, did the gun come into your possession; a gift of Divine Providence? [rolleyes]

Well, for example, it would be a way to register guns you brought in from out of state after you had already moved in state. Like me...

Of course you already knew that and know more about this states confangled laws than many of the people here.

Well, for example, it would be a way to register guns you brought in from out of state after you had already moved in state. Like me...

WHAT registration? IF you had brought the guns with you, NO FA-10 would have been required!

Sounds as if you did it the hard way.

At any rate, if they were properly your guns prior to the move, there is no transfer and, therefore, the simple registration after you brought them in would be correct. Hard to sell something to yourself.

Last edited:
I hadn't... but that was mainly because I was in school when I first came here and my university's regulations prohibit firearms on campus.

Back
Top Bottom