Can you identify his weapon?

icyclefar

NES Member
From today's Herald - Secret Service Agent on the grounds of the White House

Can anyone tell what he's armed with?

Almost looks like a P90 to me, and whats up with all that gear on the dog?

SSAgent.jpg

It's a P90.

The last time I was in DC... I stopped by to see the White House and I saw a Secret Service Agent with a P90. It actually surprised me to see it... since I figured they all carried the HK MP5 in one form or another (PDW)... which is why I remember.

Definitely a P90. You can tell by the curved portion in front in front of his finger.

Sneeking out after Agent Fido left a present on the oval office floor! [smile] Good Boy!

Seriously it looks like the dog is playing in the snow but may have a muzzle on.

Definitely a P90. Interesting weapon choice. I would think he'd want something with more stopping power, especially at some intermediate range seeing as how he's obviously guarding the White House.

I'm pretty sure the Secret Service has a very wide variety of weapons carried on a daily basis. The P90 may lack stopping power, but it does its job of penetrating body armor, and with its 50 round magazine, should be useful for suppression in close quarters.

Definitely a P90. Interesting weapon choice. I would think he'd want something with more stopping power, especially at some intermediate range seeing as how he's obviously guarding the White House.

On full auto with the 3 50rd mags he has on him and recoil that is equivalent to a fart he should be able to dish out some stopping power. Other than that he seems to have a solid .45 on his drop leg holster.

I don't understand. I thought the whole idea of the P90 was to have a more powerful cartridge than a pistol round

I'm obviously no expert. That being said from what I know the P90 fires a cartridge similar in stopping power to a 22. The real "glamour" of the cartridge comes in the fact that it penetrates body armor.

Not saying it's a bad, or wrong choice of weapon. I get the idea that if you sling enough rounds at a target it should stop but when protecting high value targets in that setting wouldn't something like a UMP in 45acp be a better choice? Hell how about an 11" AR with a .50 Beowulf upper?

Last edited:
I'm obviously no expert. That being said from what I know the P90 fires a cartridge similar in stopping power to a 22. The real "glamour" of the cartridge comes in the fact that it penetrates body armor.

Not saying it's a bad, or wrong choice of weapon. I get the idea that if you sling enough rounds at a target it should stop but when protecting high value targets in that setting wouldn't something like a UMP in 45acp be a better choice? Hell how about an 11" AR with a .50 Beowulf upper?

Cartridge choice is about what you are trying to stop and under what circumstances. If you are concerned with BGs jumping the fence who then have to traverse 200+ ft of open lawn to get up to a building that can be locked down in seconds and which is bullet proof, stopping power is not as important. The BG can stay on his feet for some time and still not be a true threat to the people inside the building. In this case, the armor piercing capabilities and the form factor of the firearm may make up for any diminished capabilities in "stopping power". He is probably one of the armed agents surrounding the white house that are rumored to be on the lawn in behind blinds so a bullpup is a useful tool. I have been the white house a few times, and been in the west wing each of those times (thats not the public tour, but the press briefing room and the press secretaries office) and never seen the blinds so I have no idea if agents in blinds is myth or real.

Cartridge choice is about what you are trying to stop and under what circumstances. If you are concerned with BGs jumping the fence who then have to traverse 200+ ft of open lawn to get up to a building that can be locked down in seconds and which is bullet proof, stopping power is not as important. The BG can stay on his feet for some time and still not be a true threat to the people inside the building. In this case, the armor piercing capabilities and the form factor of the firearm may make up for any diminished capabilities in "stopping power". He is probably one of the armed agents surrounding the white house that are rumored to be on the lawn in behind blinds so a bullpup is a useful tool. I have been the white house a few times, and been in the west wing each of those times (thats not the public tour, but the press briefing room and the press secretaries office) and never seen the blinds so I have no idea if agents in blinds is myth or real.

Don't forget multiple snipers on the roof covering all possible approaches.
Short range weapons such as the P90 make sense. If a threat penetrates the "umbrella" of sniper fire, I am sure the P90 would more than suffice.

I am not sure of the numbers, but I seriously doubt it would be a one on one encounter.

Don't forget multiple snipers on the roof covering all possible approaches.
Short range weapons such as the P90 make sense. If a threat penetrates the "umbrella" of sniper fire, I am sure the P90 would more than suffice.

I am not sure of the numbers, but I seriously doubt it would be a one on one encounter.

Absolutely - he's a cog in a wheel and likely not carrying FMJ from a gun shop. [wink]

Have you not been reading the news? Our biggest threat resides WITHIN the White House.
Move over France, here comes bleeding heart America, land of a once proud and powerful country.

Have you not been reading the news? Our biggest threat resides WITHIN the White House.
Move over France, here comes bleeding heart America, land of a once proud and powerful country.

Relax, we can afford the several trillions in new debt. All we have to do is whatever the Chinese ask of us.

Back
Top Bottom