Can you identify this centerfire cartridge? ***answer revealed***

Monadnock

NES Member
same_brass.jpg

I know what it is ...basically. I got a little background story to go along with it. I also know that it will fire and cycle in a RRA A4 Varmint AR15. I have certainly never seen one in-the-wild though. I was going to place this in the "Ammunition" thread, but it's really not a "serious" question, so I figured General Discussion would cover it.

As you can see, the cartridge below it is a 5.56 x 45 cartridge that many of you have seen. So, it's fairly obvious that the brass is very similar. So similar in fact, that the same 5.56/.223 brass is used for the cartridge.

I will tell you that it is more than 25 years old.

When I think that enough folks have taken a shot at it, I'll tell you what's stamped on the brass.

Last edited:
It's not the .17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger (no joke) because that's a 22-250 necked down to .17

All I can think of is maybe a .17 Wolfe (.17/223) or a 5mm Forker (5mmm/223).

I know what it is in the back of my mind. There is a guy at my range who shoots it. He buys my IMI .223 brass from me because he says it's the best brass to neck down for it. He shoots a lot of wildcat calibers.
I believe it's somewhere in the .14 caliber range. He told me he has had it over 4000 fps, but the bullet disintergrates at that speed. I'm still going with a .14 something.

Last edited:
Maybe a 20 Practical, seems a bit large though. Possibly the old 70's .19 Calhoon Hornet

I thought that at first, but the OP says it's been around for 25 years, and I thought the 20 Practical was a lot newer then that.

It looks too big to be a .17 caliber, and it seems smaller than a .22 caliber, so I'm guessing that it has to be about a .20 cal.

The suspense is killing me! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom