Cannot Obtain Readable Fingerprints For LTC - Any Recommendations

You are entitled to your opinion, but you know nothing about fingerprinting and the fact that many people due to age, occupation or just they way their prints were formed in the womb (there is no genetic component to fingerprints) simply don't have good quality prints to begin with.

And you made your educated deduction that I know nothing about fingerprinting based on what...I made no mention of some of the variables you made mention of.... I simple stated in the case of the OP and many other post that it was apparent a retard took there prints or tried to. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
And you made your educated deduction that I know nothing about fingerprinting based on what...I made no mention of some of the variables you made mention of.... I simple stated in the case of the OP and many other post that it was apparent a retard took there prints or tried to. [rolleyes]

Well first of all most all prints are forwarded to the Ident Section in Sudbury where a trained technician and the AFIS computer makes the determination, not the local PD. I only did this from 1999 to 2005. Yeah I know it's easier to cop bash.

Nice avatar BTW.

sounds like the cops never got their fingerprinting merit badge when they were kids! ;) http://www.meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Fingerprinting (easy now - back in the day you had to do 'em acceptable to FBI standards)

The Fingerprinting Merit Badge Pamphlet is an excellent basic reference and FBI standards are still the gold standard, problem is that many people simply do not print well. Using an electronic platen it should actually be easier to print potentially bad prints than the ink system. Still there is little one can do if the person has shallow ridges, for example. A fingerprint taker can only work with the fingers they have. Bad prints are bad prints...period.

"for reference, I was so nervous because she tried to get me to take her 17 year old daughter to the prom. I knew it was a tarp."

Her prom dress?

The Fingerprinting Merit Badge Pamphlet is an excellent basic reference and FBI standards are still the gold standard, problem is that many people simply do not print well. Using an electronic platen it should actually be easier to print potentially bad prints than the ink system. Still there is little one can do if the person has shallow ridges, for example. A fingerprint taker can only work with the fingers they have. Bad prints are bad prints...period.

Have you ever heard of a person being denied due to the inability of getting legible prints?

Each time I take a new set I have to wait 1to 2 months before receiving the call stating I have to redo them.

Thx

Well first of all most all prints are forwarded to the Ident Section in Sudbury where a trained technician and the AFIS computer makes the determination, not the local PD. I only did this from 1999 to 2005. Yeah I know it's easier to cop bash.

Nice avatar BTW.

Your babbling! Try reading and actually comprehending. No we're did I mention Police. As many police departments higher civilians to do many tasked finger prints included. Of course many people find it easier to blame something or somone when they are incompetent to do a job sufficeiantly. Reading a pamphlet does not make an expert or anyone near it. Given your 6 years you may be qualified. Many are not. Opinions will vary.

Your babbling! Try reading and actually comprehending. No we're did I mention Police. As many police departments higher civilians to do many tasked finger prints included. Of course many people find it easier to blame something or somone when they are incompetent to do a job sufficeiantly. Reading a pamphlet does not make an expert or anyone near it. Given your 6 years you may be qualified. Many are not. Opinions will vary.
Well I never said reading a pamphlet was going to make one an expert. I said that it was a good basic reference for someone wanting basic information about the subject. In my case I had both formal training and on the job training and had to pass several examinations to be fully qualified, plus meet standards established by the International Assn for Identification. Your posts towards me are fraught with anger. Precisely what are your qualifications since you appear to present yourself as some kind of expert? I have little time to waste with posers and self styled experts. You are entitled to your opinions no matter how informed or Ill informed they may be. How anyone in Mass processing fingerprints for a LTC would not be qualified is beyond me. Every set is submitted to Sudbury to the Ident Section. The people there do this as a full time job and have a strict standard of quality control procedures. They are all highly trained and must certified before they can process prints. Before you get snotty and bring up someone like Annie Dookhan and sloppy crime lab work, I'll point out that she was not part of the MSP lab system. Since I do not engage in flame wars, I will bow to your superior expertise in all areas pertaining to criminalistics since you are obviously a SME without peer. In the meantime I'll stand by my training and experience and for what it's worth, if you received a LTC in Mass during that time period, chances are I processed your prints. It's a shame we cannot have a reasonable discussion around here without someone getting rancorous. The MSP and only the MSP is responsible for determining whether prints are rejected or not. If a local PD rejects your prints after taking them, it is because they know our standards and what will pass and what will not. Yes some people who take prints don't do a good job, esp with ink, but overall the issues about poor fingerprint quality hover around the quality of the prints themselves.

Last edited:
I have a cousin who works in a quasi health job, and needs to sanitize her hands all day long with each new patient. In a few years, the sanitizer took off her fingerprints.

A good percentage of the population has fingerprints that are not readable. FOr the OP, assuming you are young (fingerprints fade as we get older) and do not have a job that wears down you fingers, the best bet is, as previously mentioned, to use a good moisturizer for a day or so before going in. A few years ago I was installing systems up in Canada. The cold up there made scanning finger prints nearly impossible. Had to put a bottle of lotion by every scanner we put in.

Recently when I went for a DHS clearance it took the TSA almost an hour to get a good print scan. They used a system with a moving platen that was just total junk IMHO. I am regularly finger printed and that was the only time I ever had to have it done more that once.

Keep trying. Also, many PDs will do it for about a $25 fee, check around and see who might do a digital one for you. A lot of PDs have their digital scanner break so do not be surprised if you show up and the PD that told you a week ago that they did digital scans pulls out an ink pad.

Well I never said reading a pamphlet was going to make one an expert. I said that it was a good basic reference for someone wanting basic information about the subject. In my case I had both formal training and on the job training and had to pass several examinations to be fully qualified, plus meet standards established by the International Assn for Identification. Your posts towards me are fraught with anger. Precisely what are your qualifications since you appear to present yourself as some kind of expert? I have little time to waste with posers and self styled experts. You are entitled to your opinions no matter how informed or Ill informed they may be. How anyone in Mass processing fingerprints for a LTC would not be qualified is beyond me. Every set is submitted to Sudbury to the Ident Section. The people there do this as a full time job and have a strict standard of quality control procedures. They are all highly trained and must certified before they can process prints. Before you get snotty and bring up someone like Annie Dookhan and sloppy crime lab work, I'll point out that she was not part of the MSP lab system. Since I do not engage in flame wars, I will bow to your superior expertise in all areas pertaining to criminalistics since you are obviously a SME without peer. In the meantime I'll stand by my training and experience and for what it's worth, if you received a LTC in Mass during that time period, chances are I processed your prints. It's a shame we cannot have a reasonable discussion around here without someone getting rancorous. The MSP and only the MSP is responsible for determining whether prints are rejected or not. If a local PD rejects your prints after taking them, it is because they know our standards and what will pass and what will not. Yes some people who take prints don't do a good job, esp with ink, but overall the issues about poor fingerprint quality hover around the quality of the prints themselves.

Oh Boy.....[rolleyes] Some how you are feeling persecuted! This was never about you it still is not about you...... Take it easy on yourself. Other than your continued babble I'm sure you personally know what your talking about.....again no one ever directed any conversation about your ability or lack of....as for your speculation on my experience and your need to voice your superiority..... No worries not one to really care what people think.....[dance] Opinions will vary!

Oh Boy.....[rolleyes] Some how you are feeling persecuted! This was never about you it still is not about you...... Take it easy on yourself. Other than your continued babble I'm sure you personally know what your talking about.....again no one ever directed any conversation about your ability or lack of....as for your speculation on my experience and your need to voice your superiority..... No worries not one to really care what people think.....[dance] Opinions will vary!

Dude shut up already.

I have to ask, when renewing your LTC in MA, do you need to be printed again? Is it only for first timers? What are the requirements for getting them done? Do they HAVE to be done at a police department? Because I have an inkless machine and do prints for background investigations ALL THE TIME, and as long as there isn't an issue with me doing them........

I was not printed again

I just love when they take my right trigger finger print. Alot of help that is I am left handed.

MSP has scanners (no ink) to do prints, check if local PD's have these machines and see if that could be used. Talk to your local PD, they should know who has these machines. Worth a try.

I agree with the print machines. My pd used plain water when they couldn't get a good read. You would be amazed at how well it works.

I always had trouble with fingerprints and with the scanners. I figure it's from fingerpicking guitar. If they can't do the prints with ink try putting your fingers on glass and having them lift the prints with tape.

Yeah, just don't forget your pin number! Probably good, I could never get the darned fingerprint thing to work ever.

Maybe the state could put a micro-chip in you for positive identification. Works for puppies.

The new LTC I just got on renewal doesn't even have the fingerprint printed on the back. They didn't take a new set of prints on renewal, but did take a new picture.

Back
Top Bottom