Carbine vs Mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel.

So I found a great deal on a Spikes barrel to finish my build. It's a Spikes 16" M4 Carbine length and I got it brand new sealed in the plastic for 100 bucks. I've had a Spikes complete lower for a while now and various upper parts. So once I found this barrel I got excited and bought the rest of the stuff I needed and finished up my project. I took it to the range and it shot amazing! My question to you all out there is what is all the hype with the mid-lengths? I understand the whole sight radius thing with ARs that have fix front sight posts but i have a low profile gas block and a 15" rail so that's not an issue.

I find mid lengths are much smoother shooters than the carbine length gas systems. All of my AR builds are middies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ugh I just wanna be an operator so looks like i gotta tear out that carbine length barrel and gas tube.

So I found a great deal on a Spikes barrel to finish my build. It's a Spikes 16" M4 Carbine length and I got it brand new sealed in the plastic for 100 bucks. I've had a Spikes complete lower for a while now and various upper parts. So once I found this barrel I got excited and bought the rest of the stuff I needed and finished up my project. I took it to the range and it shot amazing! My question to you all out there is what is all the hype with the mid-lengths? I understand the whole sight radius thing with ARs that have fix front sight posts but i have a low profile gas block and a 15" rail so that's not an issue.

Mid length is just better.....
You could get a adjustable gas block and maybe a heavier BCG.... or just enjoy the gun.

My Colt 6920 with a Lantac Dragon has more recoil than i expected, im betting it's because of the carbine gas system.

My Colt 6920 with a Lantac Dragon has more recoil than i expected, im betting it's because of the carbine gas system.

6920 on the light side weighs what just under 7lbs? M855 out of a M4 might be about 4# of energy if that?
The Dragon break is supposed to reduce rearward energy, how much ? Even if it's just 30% that's what 3lbs coming back at you at 3mph or something like that.
So yes placing it up against any part of your body you should be ok. If it's allowed to free travel into you it's going to hurt...
I'm not a huge fan of brakes I've grown to like my target crowns. Although my friend recently put a M4-72 on his carbine build. Although I don't like the "loudness" or "shock wave" from it it was a noticeable reduction in muzzle flip shooting from the rest vs the old "military style" brake.

I'm still amazed that AR shooters have not played with the pitch of the butt pad to reduce muzzle climb.?

Back
Top Bottom