Carrying while hunting is illegal, right?

Here's another scenario. An average joe is out for a trail walk as he does every weekend and it happens to be during deer season. He's not a hunter and has never hunted in his life but has his concealed license. Since it's deer season, he wears orange just for safety while out on a walk. IF he were to run into a warden and IF the warden were to find out that the walker is carrying, would the walker be charged or fined for breaking any game laws even though he has never hunted and walks the same trails every weekend? Just because he is wearing orange, it doesn't mean he's hunting.
Really pushing it. I doubt it.

I walk the trails and local woods all year long with my hunting dog off leash (but in voice control) ....on Sundays even.....in a WMA......with a CC. Never had an issue.

Not sure about "carrying" during bird season, or rabbit/squirrel, since people do handgun hunting I would think this is OK. I am guessing it is also OK during coyote season, but definitely not deer season in Massachusetts.

Do you have any instances or evidence that you can point to where someone was charged with a crime for "hunting" such as setting up trail cams or tree stands out of season?

It's also not uncommon during evening hunts to harvest an animal right at the buzzer. Is field dressing and dragging the animal out after hours considered "hunting"? I don't know that it is. I've certainly never heard of anyone getting jammed up because of it. If so it would take evening hunts completely off the table. Dear activity happens right at the buzzer. There would be rare to harvest an animal in the evening and get it out of the woods before dark.

What about getting to your tree stand before shooting light? Just about every hunter does this. I've witnessed crowds of hunters do this right in front of EPO officers. Particularly in places like the Freetown State Forest. They drive by and EPO station on their way into the woods. Nobody's ever been jammed up for it....
My understanding is your not "hunting" until the gun is loaded or the arrow is notched. I mean how else would you get to the 150'/500' set back without "hunting". None of that other stuff above poster mentioned is "hunting" in the way we are using the word. Shotgun should be unloaded when dragging a deer after hours.

Concealed is concealed whether on the streets, in the woods, in your home, or in any other place no matter what you are doing. That’s the bottom line. Who cares about cmr or mgl’s vague speak?

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, or if this is a dupe, but I wonder how the recent Bruen decision might effect this law. Obviously it's still on the books as of now, but does anyone know of any historical tradition of restricting the carrying of arms for self defense while lawfully hunting?

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, or if this is a dupe, but I wonder how the recent Bruen decision might effect this law. Obviously it's still on the books as of now, but does anyone know of any historical tradition of restricting the carrying of arms for self defense while lawfully hunting?

View: https://youtu.be/wu7UxMn65xo

As you are listed as a MA resident, this video should be helpful. GOAL just recently put this out. At the 7:14 time mark John Green addresses this issue. says GOAL has brought up the issue with the MA EPA and are still awaiting hearing back from them. But Bruen should have taken care of this. the entire video was a good watch helping clarify the new Bruen ruling as it effects MA laws.

Most of the time.....this is only related to personal safety during bowhunting....if you have a shotgun/rifle in your hands....its better than a handgun in most cases.

Concealed is concealed.

Most wardens hang out in parking lots on WMA's. Don't bowhunt on WMA's and you probably won't see one.

Private/ Non WMA land is better to bowhunt in most cases anyway.

Back
Top Bottom