CCW in MA State Office Buildings

I posted a thread about CCW in the NH Statehouse. Now I'll explain why it caught my eye. I work in one of the state buildings, here in Boston. The building is managed by the Bureau of State Office Buildings - BSB for short. The BSB has a no weapons policy, but for awhile was allowing me and a fellow employee to check our weapons at the State Police desk in the lobby of the building. The director of security for the BSB objected, stating that storage was provided for vising LEO's, only. He also noted that some visitors, unaware of the no weapons policy, were also allowed to store their weapon.

The end result? The building no longer affords weapons storage to building employees with a LTC. Our choice? From the BSB's perspective, we should "leave 'em at home." This strikes me as a denial of my constitutional right to bear arms.

I've been keeping Jim Wallace (GOAL) appraised of developments, but I know he is very busy with legilative issues. It's not clear what our options are at this point. I only see three: don't carry (not acceptable), initiate a court challege to the implementation of the policy ($$$), or carry anyway and don't tell. Being law-abiding by nature, I feel a little squeamish about carrying anyway. On the other hand, the weapons policy is just that - a policy, and not backed by existing state law. If discovered, I know I could be asked to leave the building, but there could be additional consequences, too.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks. (sorry for the long post)

Is this what you were told by one individual, or is it in writing somewhere? Is there a detector?

Bring in a form for them to sign stating that they will be held personally responsible for your safety at all times while in the building and see what they say. Good luck.

Cyote33, Thanks for the reply. The BSB policy is posted on their website. We also met face-to-face with the BSB Superintendent, BSB Director of Security, and the Lt. from the state police in charge of the detail in the building. There are metal detectors that visitors pass through. Employees with ID cards enter on the other side of the building lobby, through turnstyles without metal detectors. I know through an internal source, that the BSB consulted with an attorney (specialty in real estate) who's opinion was the the state has no legal obligation to provide weapon storage for employees. I believe this is the basis for the BSB's decision.

The NRA is working this issue, on a National Level. I know, most of you knew that. I'm in the same situation here to a certain extent.

Anyways, the fall out, if this gets addressed in SCOTUS or Congress may change things considerably.

Whatever the dimensions of the 2d Amendment, they do not include a constitutional right to employment while armed in a state office building. Forget Option 2.

RKG, that applies to Federal Facilities as well. State facilities up here re no problem, though I don't recommend carrying in the State House (it'd be considered rude). Funny thing is, we have Full Autos in the building I work in, but we can't have a gun in our cars, though I've done it in the past.

Almost like "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Remember, if you are properly licensed to possess a handgun, you may unload it and leave it locked in the trunk of your vehicle, locked in a case, or locked in some other secure container.

Many people I know often leave their unloaded guns secured in a vault in the trunk of their cars, or unloaded and secured in a lockbox in their pickup or SUV.

RKG Thank you. Viewed another way: The 2d Amendment (and MA constitution) does guarantee the right to bear arms (independent of employment), unless specifically prohibited by law. There is no law prohibiting legal carry in the building where I work - only a BSB policy (It's not a courthouse, just agency offices).

Cross-X, Good point. I currently take the commuter rail to avoid the high cost of parking (etc.) in Boston. At our face-to-face meeting, the BSB suggested that a parking space might be made available in the building's parking garage, but I was hoping to avoid driving to Boston each day.
Thanks, again for the replys.

If I were you, I would work this from another angle. See if you can figure out who is pulling the strings behind the scenes and work with them.

The BSB policy is either relatively new or it was well hidden previously. I worked in the McCormack building for years, and used to spend a lot of my time across the street at the state house. Of course I was carrying every single day. I never asked whether it was allowed, and nobody ever said anything. My guess would be that since 9/11 they've simply decided to follow the standard procedure of making sure that all potential victims are disarmed.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom