CCW in NC with a non-resident NH CCW permit

Just FYI:

I recently contacted the NC AG's office regarding this issue. I recieved a response just 1 business day later. Here is the response:

Dear Mr. X:

Your e-mail to the Attorney General’s Office has been assigned to me for response. In your e-mail, dated October 29, 2006, you ask several questions regarding firearms possession in North Carolina. You state that you have a New Hampshire non-resident concealed handgun permit. You ask whether that permit will allow you to carry a concealed handgun in North Carolina. As you are aware, North Carolina has a concealed handgun reciprocity agreement with New Hampshire. Therefore, as long as your New Hampshire permit is valid, North Carolina will recognize your permit and you can carry a concealed handgun in North Carolina. You must comply with North Carolina laws while carrying a concealed handgun in this state.

You also ask about bringing firearms to North Carolina for informal target shooting. Attached to this e-mail is a publication entitled North Carolina Firearms Laws. Transporting of weapons is addressed on page 16 of that publication.

As a member of the Attorney General’s staff, I cannot provide you with legal advice. Members of the Attorney General’s staff are only authorized to provide legal opinions or advice to public officials. We are not authorized to provide legal opinions or advice to private citizens or organizations. We are permitted to give general legal information or referral suggestions to members of the public. No inference regarding application of the law to particular facts should be drawn from the information provided.

I hope that I have been of some assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Jane Ammons Gilchrist

Assistant Attorney General

The attachment is too big for me to attach, but it can be found on the NC DOJ's web site at: http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

It is a nice explination of the NC gun laws. Would that our AG would provide such a document clarifying the MA laws...

I would be cautious, as I am not sure this advice from the NCAG is correct.

In most of the states that enacted the model act, reciprocity is granted to a person who is a resident of another state and is licensed by his state of residence in a manner that meets the reciprocity rules. As a technical matter, this means that reciprocity can be premised only on a resident home state permit, and not upon a non-resident permit from a state other than one's home state.

If I am right, the fact that the NCAG advised to the contrary is no defense. So I would get out an actual copy of the NC statute and have an attorney take a close look with this question in mind.

I also asked this question of the NC AG. Here is the response I received:

nc_letter.jpg

Back
Top Bottom