Centurion 5.56 Advisory...

Well, my second range trip with my Anvil Arms/NES M4 was an absolute hoot today! This pup runs like a top - with one exception and I've narrowed it down to an ammunition-related issue that I thought I'd share.

While the wait went on, (and on) for my NES AR, I started buying ammunition in 200-round batches. I would sit here and watch television - dreaming about the arrival of my M4 and loading mags. Each time I received a new batch of ammo, I loaded it into mags and marked the base plate with my daughters white Crayola, (she still hasn't noticed it's gone). On Monday, my first mag was Privi Partisan 5.56 - the M4 ate it up - what a joy this rifle is! Centurion "Military Contract" 5.56 was my second mag and I may as well have been running a bolt action rifle. The rifle would fire and eject the spent case, but there was not enough inertia to strip another round from the magazine. This occurred in two mags, (I switched round out to eliminate the possibility of a bad mag). The first was 26 of 30 and the second was 16 of 23.

Today using 60 rounds of classically underpowered Remington UMC I picked up at Dicks on the way to the range, I retested the Centurion against Speer Lawman .223, (Lake City), Privi Partisan and the UMC. The UMC ran flawlessly, as did the Privi and Speer. The Centurion, (loaded into a Colt mag), failed again in most of the first 6 pulls of the trigger. I finally dropped the mag, stripped the rounds, refilled with UMC and did a full mag dump - no problems.

Initially, I thought that because my rifle was new and the buffer and spring are heavy, that it was my rifle. It's clear now, that the ammo does not possess enough zippedy-do-da to cycle the bolt - at least not in an M4. This ammunition may indeed function in a rifle equipped with a lighter bolt, softer buffer, spring and a longer gas system, but I'd advise against it - even for training, in the M4.

This ammunition is marketed as "Military Contract", but word has it, that it's manufactured in Mexico. They also sell remanufactured ammunition, (this was not remanufactured) and thank God that I did not buy any of that, or even more of this - it was a good deal and obviously too good to be true, or at least reliable...My advice is to steer clear of Centurion - at least if you have an M4 which has different dynamics, tolerances and needs than a standard tubed AR-15....

Meanwhile....I LOVE this rifle! It's a friggin laser beam! Woot!

I don't know the deal with the stuff they sell to the general public.

But Centurion is just another name for Aguila stuff. They make US Gov't Contract Ammo in Mexico. I know that it uses quality powder Made in the USA.

However if it is probably like the Federal Lake City M193 you can buy as a civilian. The Federal Lake City M193 that is sold to us civvies is out of spec ammo. Usually the waterproofnes from what I am told. They test a sample of a batch and if it doesn't pass the muster they sell it to us. I would guess the Cneturion stuff didn't pass the sped on muzzle velocity during quality control.

I do believe the centurion is loaded to .223 pressures, not 5.56. I have read peoples reviews with chrono results at about 2740fps out of a 16" barrel. The author also shot some wolf 55gr at about 2770fps for comparison.

Full pressure 5.56 Nato should be at about 3150fps from a 16" barrel.

It definitely seems a little seedey to sell it as 5.56 and not be as such.

Oh well,
Steve

Thanks for the heads up on this... glad to hear your AR is treating you right otherwise.

Wolf .223/5.56 suffers from the same issues. Niether the Centurian or Wolf will cycle in my DCM. A stovepipe every time. For "cheaper" ammo I picked up some PMC M193 that shoots and runs as well as LC. If you can find some old (1980's) Barnuel Soviet era stuff it works great for plinking. The steel cases are softer than wolf, and w/ a stainless extractor it runs great. I still have a few cases that I bought before Slick Willy took office. Seems like we are in the same place again. I payed $85.00 per 1100 back then and that was steep! I am so happy I've always been an ammo whore. jp

Wolf .223/5.56 suffers from the same issues. Niether the Centurian or Wolf will cycle in my DCM. A stovepipe every time. For "cheaper" ammo I picked up some PMC M193 that shoots and runs as well as LC. If you can find some old (1980's) Barnuel Soviet era stuff it works great for plinking. The steel cases are softer than wolf, and w/ a stainless extractor it runs great. I still have a few cases that I bought before Slick Willy took office. Seems like we are in the same place again. I payed $85.00 per 1100 back then and that was steep! I am so happy I've always been an ammo whore. jp

God, remember when??? I bought Federal 5.56 at $4.00 per 20 round box in 1986 and I thought I was being ripped off....

I found the Centurion to be scary weak. Will be interested to see if it runs in a full sized lighter rifle with the lighter bolt and longer gas system. I found it odd that Remington UMC which is touted as being underpowered, ran like a top through my M4 - this was a clear indicator that Centurion is poo-poo....

God, remember when??? I bought Federal 5.56 at $4.00 per 20 round box in 1986 and I thought I was being ripped off....

I found the Centurion to be scary weak. Will be interested to see if it runs in a full sized lighter rifle with the lighter bolt and longer gas system. I found it odd that Remington UMC which is touted as being underpowered, ran like a top through my M4 - this was a clear indicator that Centurion is poo-poo....

I have LC battle packs w/ $19.00 price tags [rolleyes], how long have I had those. I found 2 in my basement last year. If I ever run "out" I'll really have to search the basement. My wife found 3 boxes of Coyote duster ammo that has to be 10 years old on top of of my pantry cabinets. It's like Christmas. [smile]

MassMark:

Following is a link to a review of this ammunition from AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=217&t=158383

The bottom line was that the ammunition is in spec for .223 but not for M193. You may have received a weak lot, plus during the current buying frenzy, the "bottom of the barrel" may be shipped to meet demand.

Most comments on the review are more positive than your experience, though quality could be spotty from some of the feedback.

MassMark:

The bottom line was that the ammunition is in spec for .223 but not for M193. You may have received a weak lot, plus during the current buying frenzy, the "bottom of the barrel" may be shipped to meet demand.

Most comments on the review are more positive than your experience, though quality could be spotty from some of the feedback.

Arf? Most of the info is clouded and here say. Arf.com is ok, as ussual I am the nasty guy. Same name. 1/2 those guys are wanna be's. jpattersonnh

Edit: .223 ammo will run a 5.56, but crap is crap!!

Last edited:
MassMark:

I bought this stuff in August. Centurion was offering both "remanufactured" and "military contract". The stuff may well run okay in an AR-15 with a full gas system, but this lot anyway has not run at all. Once I tested it against the UMC, it was clear that this batch anyway was crapola. Perhaps I'll bring it to a shoot and see if it runs in a full sized AR, or I'll strip it for components and reload it one day...I can't imagine our troops are using this stuff - must be for the Mexican military....[thinking]

Now I am glad I didn't decide to buy this stuff from a website I frequent. They had the re-manufactured ammo and it seemed really cheap. They don't seem to have it any more though. They sold out of a ton of brands they had and are back-ordered a week or two.

Now I am glad I didn't decide to buy this stuff from a website I frequent. They had the re-manufactured ammo and it seemed really cheap. They don't seem to have it any more though. They sold out of a ton of brands they had and are back-ordered a week or two.

We must shop in the same circles...[wink] I ordered more Privi and it's not that it's not in stock, it's that they are so flooded with Obamamania that it will take that long to get to my order...[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom