cetme...

are they legal to own here? are there preban and postban versions? anyone own one and have an opinion? anything i should look for?

also...if anyone is familiar with the dsa sa58 like the one listed on the four seasons websites...can we buy these out of state? i believe they have a muzzlebreak and not a flash hider...found a great deal on one out of state

Last edited:
Two issues ...

Aside from any legal issues, there are two issues with the CETME that
must be kept in mind when considering the platform. First, they were
designed around the 7.62 CETME cartridge. This cartridge was designed
to produce a lower chamber pressure than the 7.62 NATO. Once
Spain moved to NATO standard cartridges, several of their firearms were
either rechambered or the designs modified for 7.62 NATO. The CETME
rifle is one of these. It is perfectly safe to use 7.62 NATO, but it is far
out of spec. to use .308 Winchester ammunition in this rifle. If you
plan on shooting 7.62 NATO only, you should have no problems in the
ammunition department.

Issue two is that Century, the largest, and perhaps only, importer of these
rifles is all over the place in terms of quality. I have heard of fantastic CETMEs
coming out of the warehouse, and I have heard of (and seen) guns that
look like a first-grader built them come from the same place. CETMEs in
particular were often badly built, with feeding and sight problems the most
common. If you see a well built rifle, or one that was sent back enough times
to get the kinks worked out, go for it.

The DSA SA58 is a standard Metric FAL. DSA has a reputation for good
quality but can be pricey. Based on price, the CETME is far cheaper, where
a DSA FAL is more inline with the price of a PTR91 (hk91 clone) or an M1A.

F

AWB applies, other than that, Cetme's are legal to own here.

lenS...do you mean since the sa58 has a muzzlebreak and no bayolug its ok to own? i just wanna check before i tell someone ill take it that theres no way it would be disqualified from being owned in this state

lenS...do you mean since the sa58 has a muzzlebreak and no bayolug its ok to own? i just wanna check before i tell someone ill take it that theres no way it would be disqualified from being owned in this state

As long as it is a muzzlebreak, and it's permanently attached, it's legal in MA.

There's also the little known problem that the BATF had long ago determined that some muzzlebrakes
that could be used as a grenade launcher counted as one of the 5 "evil features".

I have no idea what the current status of that ruling is (as applicable to the MA AWB), or if it's something that has some legal enforcement or standing.

Last edited:
are they legal to own here? are there preban and postban versions? anyone own one and have an opinion? anything i should look for?

also...if anyone is familiar with the dsa sa58 like the one listed on the four seasons websites...can we buy these out of state? i believe they have a muzzlebreak and not a flash hider...found a great deal on one out of state
What you see available are CTMEs built up on "new" post '94 receivers.

ok screw it all...can i just get a ptr 91 if the flashhider is silver soldered on?

some versions come with the compensated barrels but everyone is out of stock and i desperately desire a semi auto .308 that is not an m1a

Police supply has a PTR91, IIRC, and Mc Elhiney's has 1 or more
real HK91s if you have cash to burn (Both in Waltham). Collector's
in Stoneham regularly has .308 battle rifles as well.

Last edited:
firtree...where is police supply?

i was going to get a real hk91 but some of the hk afficianados over on arf.com told me that the ptr91 is every bit as good as the hk and at half the price...figured id save some cash and maybe get a scope for it with the money i save...now after reading a review on the new armalites in .308 i may be swaying that way

I have a PTR 91. It's great! I'm going to get a press on a muzzle brake from igf that looks like h&k's birdcage flash hider.
DSC02354-1.jpg

Last edited:
Police Supply is only about a mile from Mc Elhiney's.
I forgot, they are called "Law Enforcement Supply". Some have had
a few issues with them, but I have had good service in the past.
I work about 3 miles away, so I stop in now and then to see if
they have anything new (Like the 500 rounds of Port .308 I found there
a few months ago).

From the gunshops section:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49

firtree...where is police supply?

i was going to get a real hk91 but some of the hk afficianados over on arf.com told me that the ptr91 is every bit as good as the hk and at half the price...figured id save some cash and maybe get a scope for it with the money i save...now after reading a review on the new armalites in .308 i may be swaying that way

If you have the cash, I'd go for the real HK91. Even with the lifting of the AWB, they will only go up in value.

Back
Top Bottom