Cheap .223 Ammo (Wolf?)

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Does anyone know of a good source of the really cheap .223 stuff in MA?

Wolf is pretty cheap. I shoot it quite a bit in my SAR-1, though it isn't in 223. I have fired it in most of the calibers that I own. I think it works just fine.

Adam

I've shot probably 2K of Wolf .223 in my AR15s and a buddy's guns in WA state. It works great in std mil-chambered ARs. It does NOT work well in tight, target-chambered guns!

I've bought all mine at Four Seasons when they had case lot sales and it was plentiful. I'm set for the next "Y2K event"! [devil]

Just watch for whatever sales show up anywhere in the area. If you have a buddy in a free state, that could open up other opportunities, but shipping is usually a deal killer even if you shove the AG out of the way.

BTW, I do not find it dirty in my ARs, but I clean them every time I shoot them so I don't allow any buildup of crud.

LenS said:
It works great in std mil-chambered ARs. It does NOT work well in tight, target-chambered guns!

I think that is the key when deciding on shooting Wolf.

LenS said:
BTW, I do not find it dirty in my ARs, but I clean them every time I shoot them so I don't allow any buildup of crud.

I clean mine after using them as well, I have noticed it leaves more "junk" behind then other ammos (Olympic, Winchester, S&B). I find it to be very similar to that other Russian ammo with the cowboy on the cover. Could just be me.

The first lot I had shot well in my ARs, carbines & match gun. The more recent batch, last spring, only shoots well out of the carbine. We had a family day at the range last summer & it jammed two of the match rifles we had there for people to try. Both mine and another members.

CD

Although I own some S&B and some gold-plated .223 (or at least it should be for what I paid AG Guns for it) that I've never fired, the only other ammo that my ARs have seen is PMC.

I don't find Wolf any dirtier than PMC.

When I asked Tweak about Wolf in his ARs (I shot them twice in WA, but Tweak did the cleaning), he told me that there was no buildup or excess crud from Wolf vs. whatever else he usually uses.

Right now, 62 gr Wolf is hard to get. 55 gr is available a few places.

It's OK stuff, but doesn't like tight chambers, and leaves more residue, especially pelled off lacquer. I found it to be about the same amount of fouling as everything else.

Back
Top Bottom