Checking a handgun in airplane luggage

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have seen some people write that checking a handgun in luggage is a good way to ensure that the suitcase isn't lost, as there is apparently extra tracking if the bag is flagged.

I'm traveling to California, and was wondering if there is any issue with checking a pistol, locked in a case, in my luggage, and declaring it to the airline. The FAQ I read regarding California said that there is no prohibition on transporting an unloaded firearm in a locked case if you have a license in your home state.

I have seen some people write that checking a handgun in luggage is a good way to ensure that the suitcase isn't lost, as there is apparently extra tracking if the bag is flagged.

This is the first I have heard of this. I travel with my handgun, and I have never seen or noticed any "extra" tagging of my luggage. I only fill out the little firearm card and put it in my luggage with the locked handgun case. Then the TSA will sometimes want to see the firearm, then you relock the case. Sometimes not.

Although, on my last trip out of PVD, my bag just went from the ticket counter straight to the TSA x-ray machine like all the other bags. No one wanted to look at it, and told me the filled out card was all I needed to do. I watched as my bag went through the x-ray machine. The guy watching the screen as my bag went through never even changed his expression on his face. He just put the little TSA sticker on it and it went through.
(Did he even see the handgun? who knows, and I didn't bother asking him.)

On another trip, when I had a separate double rifle case as luggage, I admit that I did get the case hand delivered to me when I arrived at baggage claim. So maybe this was "special" treatment?? The case is completely plain looking and most people think it is an electric piano case. [grin]

Just my experience.

The FAQ I read regarding California said that there is no prohibition on transporting an unloaded firearm in a locked case if you have a license in your home state.

Since licenses are not required to posses and transport unconcealed handguns in California, they do not care if you do or do not have a license from your home state.

The overwhelming majority of the rest of the country has no licenses of any kind to purchase or own any kind of firearms. Just to carry one concealed.

You can even go to California with an "unlicensed assault weapon" if it is yours legally elsewhere and you go to California for an organized competition. Lots of Highpower shooters from Arizona and Nevada go to the Creedmoor Cup in San Diego every year with guns that Californians can't touch.

Since licenses are not required to posses and transport unconcealed handguns in California, they do not care if you do or do not have a license from your home state.

The overwhelming majority of the rest of the country has no licenses of any kind to purchase or own any kind of firearms. Just to carry one concealed.

You can even go to California with an "unlicensed assault weapon" if it is yours legally elsewhere and you go to California for an organized competition. Lots of Highpower shooters from Arizona and Nevada go to the Creedmoor Cup in San Diego every year with guns that Californians can't touch.
There is NO exemption for the > 10 round magazine that accompanies the so-called assault weapon, as the magazine ban exists in a separate section of law that does not contain a competitors exemption. The only legal way for a civilian to possess a > 10 round magazine in CA is to have *pesonally* possessed the specific magazine, in CA, prior to the Caliban. (with possible special exemptions for dealers and manfacturers, but not general civilians)

Back
Top Bottom