Chicago Passes New Handgun Restrictions

Well, looks like Chicago decided to say 'f*ck you' to the Supreme Court by passing their new handgun restrictions. I was planning on moving out there to be with my gf, but this new turn of events has me sticking here in NE for a while longer.

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38061266/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Quick outline of new Chicago restrictions:

Only allowed to register 1 handgun per month

Residents prohibited from having more than one handgun in operating order at a time

Gun ranges in Chicago are no longer open to public, LEO use only

Gun stores are prohibited from Chicago

Residents can no longer exit house with handgun (not even in garage or porch/yard

WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO????? (or more precisely, what has Chicago come to?)[frown]

Further evidence that these people are arrogant fools who care only about themselves and their own agendas. They have no clue how to run a government or how to keep the streets safe.

Keep in mind, that since the City Officials are "sworn law enforcement officers" none of these restrictions apply to any of them.

The scary part is that law is an improvement over the way things were until just this past week.

So, let's note that there aren't really any gun shops in Chicago today. I see that rule as the #1 test balloon in this new city ordinance. If they can ban them in Chicago, then they can ban them in Cook County (where most of the gun shops "near" Chicago are today, if by "near" one means "45 minutes to 2 hours drive"). And if they can ban them in Cook, they can ban them in IL.

And the progression does not end there. Gura said it right in his comments on the new Chicago law: (paraphrasing:) As the 2nd describes a constitutionally-defined right, banning the shops where one has access to the content of the right is akin to banning bookstores.

The scary part is that law is an improvement over the way things were until just this past week.
>Snip<

Sad, but true. What Chicago is saying is "You have the right, but we're going to do everything possible to insure that you can only exercise that right in the narrowest, most restrictive way possible."

GOAL is correct: this isn't about guns so much as it's about civil rights.

BTW: Daley is a bigger a$$hat than I thought. [angry]

Will this allow lawyers to test this in court? This may potentially be good-if these get shot down, as they may when brought against the recent SJC ruling, and are struck down-this may bode well for us in the long run.
Or, maybe Daley will get shot by a criminal, and have a change of heart.

It looks like they fixed the part where you have to teleport your gun into your home and then can't take it out of the city to go to the range.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or possess a handgun, except when in the person’s home.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

[bunch of exceptions related to security guards, LEOs, etc., but also:]

(17) a person while engaged in the lawful transportation of a firearm.

but aside from everything that's already been discussed on NES, here's the biggest WTF in the new ordinance:

8-20-060 Possession of a laser sight accessory, firearm silencer or muffler. (a) It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess, display for sale, sell or otherwise transfer any laser sight accessory, or a firearm silencer or muffler.

They ban laser sights. WHY?!?! [banghead]

And you just know there's going to be case law where some judge decides that a red dot sight is a laser sight.

The same reason they ban telescoping stocks here in CT, because they're retards who have never used a firearm. The part I love about CTs stock law is that there's no minimum stock length. I can buy any length butt stock I want, but it can't adjust to other lengths. How does that make any sense? It doesn't, because they're MOONBATS.

NO LASER SIGHTS ALLOWED IN CHICAGO!! You guys here just don't get it! Don't you realize that you could hurt a bad guy's eyes if you inadvertently shined your laser into them before you blow his head off. Come on! Let's be humane about self protection.

Mayor Richard Daley moved quickly to get a new ordinance in place and has indicated that he expects legal challenges to the new restrictions.

I hope they take his ordinances and shove it up his bung sideways.

So they require training to get a license but disallow practice since the gun can't be taken out of the house. Makes sense.

Keep in mind, that since the City Officials are "sworn law enforcement officers" none of these restrictions apply to any of them.

Interestingly, coroners and coroners assistants can also carry in Illinois because of this peculiar exemption, despite not having any kind of weapons training.

Check out the below link for an explanation of how a D.C. resident can buy a gun now that Heller passed.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-DC-handgun-registration-process?daysprune=-1

[shocked]

So they require training to get a license but disallow practice since the gun can't be taken out of the house. Makes sense.

Sounds like Boston's Moon Island range test.

The criminal would never get by Daley's armed bodyguards, who's salaries and weapons are paid by the taxpayers Daly wants to deny their right to defend themselves.

Oleg Volk made a great graphic about that.

So let me get this straight. Simply stated, they have begrudgingly allowed for the right to keep arms but are denying the right to bear arms. [angry]

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. Simply stated, they have begrudgingly allowed for the right to keep arms but are going to keep doing anything and everything they can get away with in denying the right the bear arms. [angry]
Fixed. [smile][wink] Not to mention that, since they had a chance at ginning up some new rules, adding a few lines to assuage things that made them nervous -- things they saw in Hollywood blockbusters.

If there are any doubts that this is a fight over rights, where one side has utter contempt for the right and those who might benefit from its exercise, Chicago's doing a great job of dispelling them.

And you just know there's going to be case law where some judge decides that a red dot sight is a laser sight.

NO LASER SIGHTS ALLOWED IN CHICAGO!! You guys here just don't get it! Don't you realize that you could hurt a bad guy's eyes if you inadvertently shined your laser into them before you blow his head off. Come on! Let's be humane about self protection.

Chicago has banned laser sights since the late 90's, so nothing new about that.

How these new regulations would look if they were applied to the 1st amendment instead of the second--

You have the freedom to any religion you would like,, provided you do so in your own home. In 'own home' means NO holy book reading, singing. listening to recorded holy music, displaying of holy symbols, on your porch, yard or garage. Said holy book, symbols or music can not leave your domicile. Unless being transported to an approved church, etc... Churches mosques, synagogues and other holy buildings are not allowed within city limits. Any violations of these laws will result in a fine or imprisonment.

How long would the public stand for reg's like these?? Maybe they would accept these?? I don't know? There are sure many sheep out there these days[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom