Christmas present from my wife

Nice.
I've never used a climber and now at my age I think I'd screw it up and hurt myself.

Dude. You’re smarter than me.

I used mine first day of the season without stretching and I pulled the f*** out of my back.

I have an older version of a very similar model to what the OP posted and not only is it a work out, but it’s dangerous as hell if you don’t know what you’re doing or not paying attention. The way up is definitely easier than the way down.

OP, DEFINITELY use a fall arrest harness once you get up there. Mine has ‘slipped’ on my a little once or twice and it’ll definitely make your butthole pucker.

My ‘fix’ for not f***ing up my back next year is going to be hiking around my property with it…setting it up at potential spots I’ll be hunting from, then practicing from those heights (bow and firearm).

Dude. You’re smarter than me.

I used mine first day of the season without stretching and I pulled the f*** out of my back.

I have an older version of a very similar model to what the OP posted and not only is it a work out, but it’s dangerous as hell if you don’t know what you’re doing or not paying attention. The way up is definitely easier than the way down.

OP, DEFINITELY use a fall arrest harness once you get up there. Mine has ‘slipped’ on my a little once or twice and it’ll definitely make your butthole pucker.

My ‘fix’ for not f***ing up my back next year is going to be hiking around my property with it…setting it up at potential spots I’ll be hunting from, then practicing from those heights (bow and firearm).

I've never used a "climbing" stand, only a fixed one. A friend of mine down here lent me one and I was going to go learn how to use it in the back yard. Spoke to a good friend of mine up north who advised me that I absolutely needed a fall harness. The one that was lent to me is a bit, um, "ragged", and doesn't have a fall harness with it. So, I asked my wife to pick me up a fall harness while she was in town yesterday. She came home with the climbing stand, (which includes fall harness).

She says she never knows what to get me for a present - I made that easy for her this time.

Have to assemble it today, and watch some videos, then go try it out. Next door neighbor is familiar with climbing stands, he said he'd spot me when I try it out. Thinking that's not a bad idea.

Beware of the red oaks when wet. I was climbing one with a very similar stand and part way up, the teeth slipped on the hard bark and down I went. Harness kept me from hitting the ground, though I did smash my face on the tree.

Harness and climbing rope with attached prusik knot. It can be a workout until you get used to it. It's kind of like doing squats and crunches at the same time but once you get used to how it works, you can go up pretty quick. Coming back down you have to go a little slower and make sure the cable and teeth are against the tree before putting your weight on the platform. Only about a foot and a half or so at a time. You still want your knees bent while engaging the cable and teeth on the way down and not fully extended. Your shoulders and forearms are doing most of the work. I also have the summit climber like yours. You can get pretty comfortable sitting in that sling seat with armrests. I haven't had it happen but I can see it, make sure the seat and platform are connected with about 3 feet of rope in case your feet slip out while trying to climb. That way you're not looking at the platform on the ground while you're hanging onto the seat halfway up the tree.

I've never used a "climbing" stand, only a fixed one. A friend of mine down here lent me one and I was going to go learn how to use it in the back yard. Spoke to a good friend of mine up north who advised me that I absolutely needed a fall harness. The one that was lent to me is a bit, um, "ragged", and doesn't have a fall harness with it. So, I asked my wife to pick me up a fall harness while she was in town yesterday. She came home with the climbing stand, (which includes fall harness).

She says she never knows what to get me for a present - I made that easy for her this time.

Have to assemble it today, and watch some videos, then go try it out. Next door neighbor is familiar with climbing stands, he said he'd spot me when I try it out. Thinking that's not a bad idea.

I had a Summit Goliath and it was by far the most comfortable I have ever been in the woods. I hunt from the ground now because I have lost most of the feeling in my left leg below the knee and it is two dangerous to be in a tree now for me.

Get a set of stabilizer straps for it. It is no fun standing up in a treestand and having the seat platform of the treestand fall down to the bottom platform.

My only comment is that if its a steel stand, I hope your able to carry it..., have an ATV, or has a very short walk, or private where you can leave it in there. Because that MF gonna be heavy.

I have a summit viper aluminum and I don't like it because its too heavy and bulky to carry far...but it is comfy once up there. I use it where I dont need to walk far or on private where I can leave it at the bottom of tree.

Last edited:
I had a Summit Goliath and it was by far the most comfortable I have ever been in the woods. I hunt from the ground now because I have lost most of the feeling in my left leg below the knee and it is two dangerous to be in a tree now for me.

Get a set of stabilizer straps for it. It is no fun standing up in a treestand and having the seat platform of the treestand fall down to the bottom platform.

Stabilizer straps are a must, just to keep the top from falling and clanking sometimes if you stand up.....is a bonus....but The added safety of not losing your platform is the obvious.....reason you should never hunt without them.

Instead of a crappy safety harness, I would pick up a climbing harness from amazon for like 50 bucks, make sure you get one with linesmans loops. You can do so much more with it, and its way easier and lighter and less bulky to put on than those full body messes. It gives you much better control if you fall as well. Again....most of us talk about falling, but what happens when the stand does slip and your hanging up there on a tether.....that was always my biggest worry..........

If you have a tree you hunt all the time, leave a long line at the top down to the bottom, it will be easier just sliding a prussic or ropeman up as you go up and down, rather than adjusting the whole short tether on the tree. If your really worried about falling and hanging......long line with a madrock safeguard will always guarantee you can repel down out of a bad situation, and you can use the madrock as you would any other prussic or rope adjusting safety device. It just lets you repel, and beleive it or not will make coming down much easier because you can take 100% of your full weight off the bottom platform. Again....you;ll need the climbing harness for this type of stuff, a safety harness that connects in over your head will be useless.

In my fixed stands....I just repel down now and its so much easier than climbing down steps

Last edited:
I had ben told by a good friend that the most common cause of death while deer hunting is falls from a stand.

I just googled "most common cause of death for deer hunter"
Tree stand falls are the No. 1 cause of hunting fatalities,”

Be careful out there folks.

Prior to going aloft, be sure that you can retrieve the foot platform while you're on upper part of the climber, should it slip down on its own. If there's too much slack in whatever you're using as a tether between the upper and lower, you might have a tough time retrieving the lower with your feet. You do not want to side load these things.

Last edited:
I had ben told by a good friend that the most common cause of death while deer hunting is falls from a stand.

I just googled "most common cause of death for deer hunter"
Tree stand falls are the No. 1 cause of hunting fatalities,”

Be careful out there folks.
Typically the #1 area is when transitioning from steps to stand platform. Always have a safety line/harness on when doing that. But really, from the ground to hunting height there really is no excuse not to be tetherd in.

A close #2 would be hanging from a fall for any length of time. That has gotten way better because harnesses have gotten way better. But if you can't repel, your still up shits creek in my opinion especially if your like me and hunt alone.

There are a few of you grey beards around that probably remember the very first safety aids were the old safety "belt". Which was just a one wide nylon strap......... Where when you fell, many people inverted and couldn't right themselves, and would black out and die from being upside down for too long. Or the belt would slide high on the chest and under their arms and they would hang that way pass out. Those belts may have saved a few lives, but they were pretty dangerous by themselves.

A climbing harness/saddle setup and some of these rope gizmos are really the way to go now....take it from this old bowhunter who has gone thru every phase of treestand hunting since the 80's.

Last edited:
Prior to going aloft, be sure that you can retrieve the foot platform while you're on upper part of the climber, should it slip down on its own. If there's too much slack in whatever you're using as a tether between the upper and lower, you might have a tough time retrieving the lower with your feet. You do not want to side load these things.

Thats a bonus with the Stabilizer straps. They not only keep the lower platform from falling down they also keep it level so it is easier to grab with your feet.

@allen-1 I am naturally duck footed so I found it much easier to ditch the green foot hooks and the bungee for you heels and just tucked my feet under the support bars of the lower platform.

The big benefit of climbing this way is you can leave the foot loops and bungie at home dropping the weight a little and clearing off the bottom platform so it is all usable and clear of trip hazards.

Don’t just practice climbing practice setting up and breaking down the treestand as you will likely be doing it in the dark.

Treestands get heavy after a few miles and most upgrade the shoulder straps to better distribute the weight. I set mine up with a Molle system to better distribute the weight and carry most of it on my hips. The Molle system cut the felt weight in half but it makes the setup and breakdown of the stand more complicated.

Either purchase or make a treestand pickup tool. You will drop stuff while you are up there.
Tree Stand Retrieval Tool

Pro Tip. First time using it only go up about 4-6 feet. Set it up just like you were really hunting. Spent some time moving around in it, hang your bow, take the bow off the hook and pull it back, all that until you are real comfortable. Next time 10 feet. And so on. Don’t go up 16+ feet first time out. Also the harnesses’s that typically comes with them are OK at best. Go get yourself a real good one. Of all the gear you own this is the one you don’t want to skimp on. 👇I like this for winter and the muddy breathable lightweight for bow season. Having the experienced neighbor there is an excellent idea. I would not recommend doing it alone your first time. Good luck and be patient. They are all I’ve ever used and have never had a issue but things can go south in a hurry if not careful. Good luck!
6C587AC4-1879-47F5-90D4-1CC8021F94FA.jpeg

Seriously apreciate the responses here - this is all new to me.

I got up at 3:30 yesterday morning and met up with my friend at a designated spot on Ft Stewart. Drove in a bit, then walked in, set up, and waited.

Things I learned:
1) Take off a few layers before climbing the tree with the stand. Worked up a serious sweat, which wasn't fun in 40-some weather after I stopped climbing.
2) Sitting/standing in a tree stand is peaceful. The forest is quiet, with the exception of birds and squirrels. IOW - it's kinda boring.
3) Stand hunting is a lot more about standing, waiting and hoping than it is about shooting.

Going back out next week. Season here is open until Jan 8th.

I'll second what Bob said...having a good backpack system is nice. Especially the waistbelt to take some weight off your shoulders.....litterally.

XOP makes a pretty good system, that might not be as complicated as a Molle system.

I have the backpack straps on most of my XOP stands, the waistbelt is kinda uneeded as they are light. But your definately gonna want a waist belt.

Midway just had XOP straps and belt on sale for like 19 bucks or something which was half price.

I got up at 3:30 yesterday morning and met up with my friend at a designated spot on Ft Stewart. Drove in a bit, then walked in, set up, and waited.

Things I learned:
1) Take off a few layers before climbing the tree with the stand. Worked up a serious sweat, which wasn't fun in 40-some weather after I stopped climbing.
2) Sitting/standing in a tree stand is peaceful. The forest is quiet, with the exception of birds and squirrels. IOW - it's kinda boring.
3) Stand hunting is a lot more about standing, waiting and hoping than it is about shooting.

That's where scouting comes in. If your on a good trail that gets good day use....stand hunting is probably the most productive method.

If your not...or your in a place with low deer concentrations like Central Mass. Its boring as hell. During gun season in areas of low deer per square mile....tracking or still hunting from the ground is a much better option with a firearm.

Pro Tip. First time using it only go up about 4-6 feet. Set it up just like you were really hunting. Spent some time moving around in it, hang your bow, take the bow off the hook and pull it back, all that until you are real comfortable. Next time 10 feet. And so on. Don’t go up 16+ feet first time out. Also the harnesses’s that typically comes with them are OK at best. Go get yourself a real good one. Of all the gear you own this is the one you don’t want to skimp on. 👇I like this for winter and the muddy breathable lightweight for bow season. Having the experienced neighbor there is an excellent idea. I would not recommend doing it alone your first time. Good luck and be patient. They are all I’ve ever used and have never had a issue but things can go south in a hurry if not careful. Good luck!
View attachment 699288
I used to wear something like this, but now I have a saddle......which I got sweet deal on because I found one from someone that didn't like saddle hunting.

That said....if I didn't have a saddle, I would buy a regular climbing harness off of amazon, much lighter, much less money, less restrictive as its only goes around your waist and legs. You can tether in off a single rope to the ground, and repel if you want as well. You can't repel out of this sort of thing should you get in a bad situation. You can only sit there and hang in it.

Things I learned:

Take your layers off before you leave the truck. If you are a little cold at the truck you will be comfortable for the walk in without breaking a sweat. It is critical to not break a sweat. This can only be done with experience.

Sitting in a stand is super comfortable once you get the seat depth right.

Try to set up the top platform and seat so that your thighs are level and your knees are at a right angle. This will maximize the blood flow to and from your feet.

Thermacare back wraps will do wonders for keeping you warm on stand.

Bob

Lots of great info as usual. I generally underdress for the walk in, carrying extra layers either in my pack or attached to my stand. I use a hang on style of stand that I pack in and pack out each hunt. Once I get up and situated in the stand, I'll wait awhile to cool down just a little and gradually start adding layers.

I use a harness with linesman belt as I'm setting climbing sticks as I go up, but the belt I have has a spot on the back where I can attach a deer drag strap which doubles as a strap to be able to put one foot into to release pressure if I should fall off the stand and not be able to get back on, or reach the climbing sticks. Hanging for any length of time will cut off blood circulation, so it's good to be able to release the pressure of the weight if you can. I have the strap set up to the right length in case I have to get to it.

With that in mind, I primarily hunt alone, and always let my wife and my sons know where I'm going. Once I get out to the tree I'm set up in, I set a waypoint using my OnX hunting app. It will pinpoint the location I'm at. I take a screenshot of it, making sure it's not too enlarged so as to show landmarks, streets, the name of the WMA if I'm in one, etc. then I send the screenshot to them with a text saying "I'm the blue dot". If I move, I repeat the process. For ground hunting, I'll do the same and update my location every so often.

With that in mind, I primarily hunt alone, and always let my wife and my sons know where I'm going. Once I get out to the tree I'm set up in, I set a waypoint using my OnX hunting app. It will pinpoint the location I'm at. I take a screenshot of it, making sure it's not too enlarged so as to show landmarks, streets, the name of the WMA if I'm in one, etc. then I send the screenshot to them with a text saying "I'm the blue dot". If I move, I repeat the process. For ground hunting, I'll do the same and update my location every so often.
This is important, especially if your over 50 like I am. Climbing trees isn't as easy as it used to be for me. So, I do exactly the same thing. Someone knowing where you are if you didn't return could mean life or death. The faster someone can get to you the better. Plus this is so easy with OnX technology now.......really no excuse not to do it right before the climb.

Back
Top Bottom