• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chrome vs TiN vs Parkerized

Is a chrome or TiN coated AR-15 bolt and carrier significantly better than the matte finished mil-spec bolt and carrier? I've heard that the clean-up much better and faster because fouling just doesn't stick to them very well.

What's cheaper and easier to replace? The upper or the bolt carrier? The bolt carrier.

So why do you want to make the bolt carrier significantly harder than the upper (thus possibly accelerating the wear on the upper)?

What's cheaper and easier to replace? The upper or the bolt carrier? The bolt carrier.

So why do you want to make the bolt carrier significantly harder than the upper (thus possibly accelerating the wear on the upper)?

It already is, AR uppers are anodized aluminum and the bolt carrier is steel.

I believe what his question is, is whether a chromed bolt carrier is better than a regular parkerized one. For cleanup and corrosion resistance, the answer is yes. For general shooting conditions where a gun is cleaned regularly, I don't see a need for it myself. Hardchrome also shines more...not good if you are trying to conceal your position.

You are correct Finalygotabeltfed. It was entirely due to my memories of scrubbing the bolt face on my M-16 in the army. The AR it's going in already has a bright target barrel, so concealment won't be an additional issue. Do you have any experience on TiN coatings? My general experience is that it's harder, but not nescesarily less subject to crud sticking to it.

Last edited:
You are correct Finalygotabeltfed. It was entirely due to my memories of scubbing the bolt face on my M-16 in the army. The AR it's going in already has a bright target barrel, so concealment won't be an additional issue. Do you have any experience on TiN coatings? My general experience is that it's harder, but not nescesarily less subject to crud sticking to it.

Here is all you need to know.

http://www.brycoat.com/tin/physprop.html

It is excellent against things sticking to it. Look halfway down the list.

Back
Top Bottom