• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Citing a ‘catastrophic hardware failure,' Maryland State Police report delays in gun background checks and licenses

Reptile

NES Member
Maryland State Police warned this week of delays to background checks for those purchasing firearms because of a “catastrophic hardware failure” to a state data system.
The hardware failure of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services has caused an interruption in the state police department’s licensing division’s ability to complete background investigations for regulated firearm purchase applications, handgun qualification license applications and state wear-and-carry permit applications, state police said in an advisory Monday.

I’m sure the system runs on commodity hardware and there are backups. Right? *cough*

lol if they said software. I would have said someone dumped the database backup to the root directory and crashed the server. *cough* never done that before. Hardware. someone leaned on the server cabinet and knocked it over. no backups because modernizing and back up systems would require caring about the product.

Plainly, somebody forgot to turn in their TPS report on time.

Nothing to see here...

Maryland State Police warned this week of delays to background checks for those purchasing firearms because of a “catastrophic hardware failure” to a state data system.
The hardware failure of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services has caused an interruption in the state police department’s licensing division’s ability to complete background investigations for regulated firearm purchase applications, handgun qualification license applications and state wear-and-carry permit applications, state police said in an advisory Monday.

hardware-failure.jpg

Given that the system supports citizens' exercise of a fundamental right, wouldn't one expect the system to be architected with fault tolerance to 99.999% availability?[rofl] Sounds more like a catastrophic failure of due diligence/due care, or simply a failure to care at all.

catastrophic hardware failure:
When you don't care enough about the data on your server or your user base to have a proper disaster recovery plan.

In the mid-80's I was the sysadmin at an international air freight forwarder. Those systems had to be up all the time except for a monthly scheduled PM, (preventive maintenance). On that scheduled PM we installed hardware, did OS upgrades, did DBMS upgrades, whatever. Other than that - we had to be up and running. We managed it, 35 years ago, within our budget.

I had a standby machine networked to the primary, with redundancies like you wouldn't believe. Hot swappable drives, spare drives, spare controllers, spare tape drives, spare async boards. I had the local field engineer's home phone number, and the district manager's home phone.

There's really no excuse for this kind of crap nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom