Civilians wearing surplus BDUs?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Got a question for you vets out there.

I'd like to pick up a decent pair of pants for camping, paintball, etc. There's a surplus store in W. Boylston that sells surplus BDUs. Only thing is... I kind of feel funny about wearing them - as in, I didn't serve and I don't want people thinking I did or am trying to make people think I did. I just want a set of tough pants for outdoor use, and possibly for hunting in the fall.

What do you guys think about it?

I hate to say it but I think civilians wearing BDUs look like poseurs. Of course, this is said by a guy who wears 511 pants, so go figure...

I'm really just talking about the pants, not a full uniform. Again, just looking for something sturdy & cheap. But if many more folks feel like you do, I'll give it a pass.

It used to bother me...not anymore.

You can buy them anywhere....so I say if they are good for your needs use them.

Not to mention that we are changing to the ACU so who cares bout the BDU's. It is the person that is wearing them that makes the decision to be a pouser or not, not the BDU's he is wearing

I wear BDU pants at the range when we do QUALs, active shooter and training. BDU's are not only worn by the military. They're used by LEO, EMS, Fire, security. They're comfortable and useful.

dwarven1 said:
Got a question for you vets out there.

I'd like to pick up a decent pair of pants for camping, paintball, etc. There's a surplus store in W. Boylston that sells surplus BDUs. Only thing is... I kind of feel funny about wearing them - as in, I didn't serve and I don't want people thinking I did or am trying to make people think I did. I just want a set of tough pants for outdoor use, and possibly for hunting in the fall.

What do you guys think about it?

Sadly Ross, your respect for the vets and the BDUs seems to be rare these days, as it seems to have become a fashion trend of sorts. I see more girls walking around in camo skirts, etc. than I care to think about. I am with you. I do however wear BDU pants and jacket when hunting ONLY.

I've also seen a lot of construction workers wearing them - I suspect because they're cheap and tough. I'm thinking that the woodland pattern won't show the dirt like jeans will... Or paintball paint (once they're washed afterwards, that is) Hmm... they probably won't show bike grease as much, either. [smile]

I did not realize you were just talking about the pants....BUY THEM

they are strong and last a long time though can hold the heat in a bit too much some of the time.

basicly as long as you are not getting dressed in a uniform and trying to look as though you are a soldier then who cares at that point all it is is low cost long lasting clothing

I have a set of BDUs that I got at the surplus store here in North. But the only times that I've worn them was at the Paintball fields. And only because the fields we play at are completely wooded. If it was one of those open fields, then I don't care as they serve no purpose.

But, I'm with you...no need for people to think that I'm in the military, so I make sure that they have no patches on them...if they do, then I take them off.

But it's different up here... Back in the South, if you were wearing BDUs without any patches, and you were seen out and about, someone wouldn't thank you, or get pissed at you depending on the person. They would ask you how big was your bag? As most hunters wear them.

What I don't get is all this new digital camo...

BDU's can be bought almost anywhere as it has been pointed out. It's when folks start putting patches
on them and playing pretend games...

Last edited:
I wear em all the time, but then again I got mine for free when I was at Knox. If you're worried about the colors, get the black or navy blue. Wearing BDU pants doesn't make you a wannabe.

I agree with what has been said. Just wearing the pants isn't going to make you a poser. What irks me is the kids wearing the uniform with patches etc, that never served a day in their life. Shoot Glenn even has some of my BDU's left from 20+ years ago he still wears. He uses them for working on vehicles etc. They are strong and last.

Who cares? They are just pants. As for putting on patches, I think that doesn't matter much either. People don't really think you are a soldier just because you have on different pants. They'll figure it out soon enough, if they even want to bother to figure it out. I don't see the harm. I had some German army pants in college which lasted a long long time. I never pretended I was in the German army nor did people confuse me for a German army soldier. Again, they are just pants.

Our company as uniforms wear a 6 pocket BDU style workpant.

Through Galls or Quartermaster

20239.jpg

Tough and comfortable - recommended.

If big kids are playing dress-up or cowboys and indians, I think it is pretty easy to tell real from fake. I can't imagine anyone caring about it.

derek said:
[rofl]

Wear this patch on Coronado beach and see what happens if you weren't on a team.

tridentsmall.jpg
A Trident? That'd be for SEALS?

No thanks, I know a couple of real ones, and I wouldn't disrespect them like that. Besides, they're both Brothers of mine. [wink]

Ross

I bought some good, tough BDU type pants at Sam's Club in Hudson NH a few years ago (Union Bay brand). All those extra pockets come in real handy for shooting classes where the more ammo and mags you carry the better off you are.

I chose solid colors (tan and khaki).

I also bought some BDU style shorts there, again in solid colors when I could. I do have one pair in the camo layout (only because they didn't have my size in a solid color) and generally feel uncomfortable wearing them out in public other than to gun clubs or a quick run to the USPO.

BTW, I didn't pay more than $20/pair for any of them and usually they were $13-15 each.

If my opinion counts - get them.

I personally don't like camo but if I could find some old OD fatigues or field jacket, I'd gettem. I still wear one of my old field jackets when I work on the car in the cold or plow snow on my tractor. it's a greasy mess but it is over 30 years old...damned near indestructable if it's real military stuff.

Last edited:
It's funny when Glenn went in the service he was issued the OD green fatigues, think we still have his field jacket around. I was issued the BDU's we have all of mine which when I got out I gave to Glenn. I prefered the OD greens.[laugh]

M1911 said:
<SNIP> Of course, this is said by a guy who wears 511 pants, so go figure...

511 rocks! I haven't worn jeans since I discovered these. Awesome.[rockon]

And with the proliferation of knock-off cammies in the department stores, a pair of BDU trousers shouldn't be an issue. IMHO.

RJ

Cross-X said:
Some dwarves are SEALs? Who knew?
No, some Masons are SEALS. Or were... my Brother Chris just rejoined the Nat'l Guard, and my Brother Rich is a SAS programmer for a health insurance company.

dwarven1 said:
No, some Masons are SEALS. Or were... my Brother Chris just rejoined the Nat'l Guard, and my Brother Rich is a SAS programmer for a health insurance company.

Thanks for the info.

Just so you know, Mr. Grammarian, the last "s" in SEALs should be typed or written in lower case. (grin)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom