%^#$^%#! Class A with restrictions!

Yah, I'm pretty disappointed. Just received my RESTRICTED class A RESTRICTIONS: Employment and Target and Hunting.

I had explained in the letter to the chief of PD that I would like the license because of work. I work in computer repair and have to make house calls allot of which take place late at night. I also explained about having to make weekly deposits carry larger than normal amounts of cash.

A couple reasons why this concerns me is because most of the time I am off work when I receive a call out for a house call. This would mean I would have to go home to get my firearm. Also, I do all my deposits whenever I can fit them in ..not on work hours.

I just emailed the Officer in charge.. Any suggestion on getting the restrictions lifted are greatly appreciated. [frown]

Here is the reply:

The policy of our Chief is that all 1st time licensees of a Class-A LTC are restricted (usually for only target & hunting at that) but when an applicant also wishes to be covered for employment he'll accept adding to the restriction for that purpose. What I can suggest is drawing up a letter of request to be considered an "exception" and explain in detail why and see if he will grant the change. If he did, there would be no fee.

Last edited:
The town is Brockton *RED* ..The thing that kills me is my business is in East Bridgewater which is Green. I could have easily got an unrestricted there!
I am going to write a letter to him asking for the "exception" .
It would be great if one of the knowledgeable lawyers on the form could give me some pointers.

Last edited:
I dread the day I'll have to renew my LTC-A in Boston (2013). I've been issued a LTC-A ALP the last two times I renewed in the city of Chelsea, but had to formally changed my residence this year. I see a downgrade coming the next time around.

well, if you're on call all the time as your OP states, then you should be covered by 'employment' all the time

exactly. the op made me think it was restricted to Target and Hunting. But if it is also employment, and you are self employed, arent you on call all the time?

exactly. the op made me think it was restricted to Target and Hunting. But if it is also employment, and you are self employed, arent you on call all the time?

Eh I don't think thats How the chief will see it. I would stick to normal operating hours. While technically its right, just about any officer who questions it is going to be thinking security(armored car etc.), not personal protection while making house calls that can occur at anytime.

This is why restrictions suck from a legal point of view there are no definitions, just guesses as to what they mean.

well, if you're on call all the time as your OP states, then you should be covered by 'employment' all the time

Key word is "should". God forbid I ever had to use my firearm and explain that I thought I was covered..[hmmm]

EDIT: Though I would like to disagree ....I agree with FunYun :(

You absolutely have to hire an attorney and have him make the change for you. I live in a different town, but I did exactly that and it worked for me. The thing is, lawyers are used to fielding arguments and objections from people in authority. A good firearms lawyer isn't going to be shut off by the chief's stock refusal.

I wish you the best, and hope you go all the way with us, because it will help you and help us all, one victory at a time.

It would be great if one of the knowledgeable lawyers on the form could give me some pointers.

You absolutely have to hire an attorney and have him make the change for you. I live in a different town, but I did exactly that and it worked for me. The thing is, lawyers are used to fielding arguments and objections from people in authority. A good firearms lawyer isn't going to be shut off by the chief's stock refusal.

I wish you the best, and hope you go all the way with us, because it will help you and help us all, one victory at a time.

Just what I was going to suggest. One of the "Pointers" I would suggest is to hire one of them. Without being "on the clock" pointers would be hard to give...as you would really need them to do the work for you.

And while I know several of them on here....they do have to pay the bills like all of us...and if they always worked for free, it wouldn't happen.

You'd be suprised how far taking them out for coffee or a meal and paying will get you... Just saying....

And I would ask them in a PM, not open on the forum.

Glad we don't have to deal with that garbage in CT. The permit is for full carry, regardless of whatever a person is doing.

And while I know several of them on here....they do have to pay the bills like all of us...and if they always worked for free, it wouldn't happen.

Not only that, but they're professionally obligated to give out correct information. They can get in trouble for giving out bad legal advice. Why would they risk such a thing for free to a person they have no relationship with? A smart lawyer will usually keep their mouth shut when not on the clock. It's why you usually get Cross-X and Scriv only giving out vague hints or one word answers about legal stuff here.

Last edited:
I'd say keep your mouth shut and try not pissin the Chief off too much. You are self employed... I have a LTC ALP but I was prepared to receive it for Employment reasons if it came down to it. I do night deposits all the time and you could always say you're not sure if you will get a call in the night. Now if you're stopped 2AM and you're carrying just hope you have a significant amount of cash on you or maybe some supplies in your vehicle then you'd still be following the employment protocol. If it's a first timers deal then maybe you'll get an ALP then. That's what I'd do anyhow. The last thing you wanna do is be remembered by the Chief for being a pain in the ass then next time he'll give you Hunting and Target Only. My opinion and my opinion only.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to sound like I wanted something for nothing. I agree, they do need to pay there bills too. Unfortunately, the economy is so bad right now it's drastically effecting my business. I will go ahead and write a letter explaining my concerns to the Chief and see where this gets me.

What does ALP stand for?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to sound like I wanted something for nothing. I agree, they do need to pay there bills too. Unfortunately, the economy is so bad right now it's drastically effecting my business. I will go ahead and write a letter explaining my concerns to the Chief and see where this gets me.

What does ALP stand for?

All Lawful Purpose

The town is Brockton *RED* ..The thing that kills me is my business is in East Bridgewater which is Green. I could have easily got an unrestricted there!
I am going to write a letter to him asking for the "exception" .

Welcome to the club fellow Brocktonian... unfortunately it is not a club that anyone desires to be in... [thinking]

I have to wait until 2010 to renew... it is killing me... especially with the new presidents view on conceal carry... look at the up side... you got one more then most (employment).

I would surely fight it though. but there is an up and down side to everything... the new chief is actually worse then the old, and part of that has to do with the mayor IMO. (see, mayors against illegal guns).
I thought of fighting mine... but worry it would backfire on me.

If in 2010 it is restricted... i will be seeking a fellow legal NESer to assist [wink]

good luck and God speed.

I guess I could do this. Just doesn't seem right to have to pay for the license twice. Worst case I could try this route.

I would check with the legal guys first on that...

simply because some chiefs dont like stepping on the toes of others... And, you may want to check on bridgewaters policy too. I can't remember weather it is east bridge or bridgewater, but i know one of them is tight on the licenses.

What does ALP stand for?

ALP = All Lawful Purpose.

Welcome to the club fellow Brocktonian... unfortunately it is not a club that anyone desires to be in... [thinking]

I have to wait until 2010 to renew... it is killing me... especially with the new presidents view on conceal carry... look at the up side... you got one more then most (employment).

I would surely fight it though. but there is an up and down side to everything... the new chief is actually worse then the old, and part of that has to do with the mayor IMO.

Thanks Matt, Nope def not the club I'd prefer..lol

Yes, if only I had applied for this a couple years ago. I knew the old chiefs GF. I actually took the civil service test with her.

Thanks C-pher :)

Last edited:

What does ALP stand for?

If you are going to write a letter yourself I would be very polite. Something along the lines of:

Dear Chief XXXX:

I would like to thank you for my recently issued LTC for Employment, Hunting, and Target use. I understand that department policy is to issue first time licenses for Target and Hunting only, so I appreciate the addition of employment.

Due to the somewhat peculiar nature of my employment this leaves me in somewhat of a quandry.

(Go on from here to explain nicely what your problem is with the current restrictions and hope for the best.)

I know it is irritating to have to beg for what should be a right but that's the situation that we have in Massachusetts. Framing the letter like this is an appeal for help. Most people, unless they are really asshats, will often go out of their way to try to assist someone who is asking for help. It is non-threatening and reasonable.

A wise lawyer once told me: "Always be polite in your first interaction. You can always pull the gloves off if that fails." I've generally found that advice to be good. [smile]

Good luck with your quest.

Yah, I'm pretty disappointed. Just received my RESTRICTED class A RESTRICTIONS: Employment and Target and Hunting.

I had explained in the letter to the chief of PD that I would like the license because of work.

So you got what you asked for? If your job is that your on-call for making computer repair house calls, than employment pretty much covers 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom