Class B vs. Class A Clarifications (UPDATE 9/7/07, LTC Issued!)

O/U: Not to rain on your parade as I'm not sure when grouse season is but a couple of weeks is a dream! My son applied for an FID card in April and just received it a week ago! I have a class A-Unrestricted LTC (since 1974) and applied in early June for my renewal (expired mid-July) and just got my re-newed license to me on wednesday (9 weeks later). Good luck.

O/U: Not to rain on your parade as I'm not sure when grouse season is but a couple of weeks is a dream! My son applied for an FID card in April and just received it a week ago! I have a class A-Unrestricted LTC (since 1974) and applied in early June for my renewal (expired mid-July) and just got my re-newed license to me on wednesday (9 weeks later). Good luck.

Did you apply in Salem, MA?

It's very easy to justify a LTC-A, as I've laid out in the Sticky on Licenses (that I guess few bother to read <sigh>). If you ever want to own/shoot a S&W 41, 622, 422 - All TARGET guns, they are by definition "HIGH-CAPACITY" handguns and require a LTC-A!! Has nothing to do with CCW at all.

That's a start. Other ideas for ALP are also covered and most PDs won't even ask for your sob story.

Where is this thread? I looked for it a bit but have not yet found it.

Thanks.
Paul

If your license says "Sporting" according to this document from the Freetown PD, you will get more mileage than from "Target and Hunting." In fact, if you are hiking and camping, it would seem allowable for you to actually carry, wouldn't you think?

What really stinks is, if you are approached by a police officer in East Bumpus, telling him about this document, or what your lawyer, or what your chief said, isn't going to help. It will all get hashed out in a messy, expensive, embarrassing manner.

Has anybody you guys know ever caught hell for violating a restriction but acting in good faith?

http://www.town.freetown.ma.us/forms/police_firearmlicensingpacket.pdf

IX. RESTRICTIONS
Restrictions include but are not limited to the following:
None – The LTC is issued for all lawful purposes with no restrictions. This is used for all FID cards, as by statute, they may not be issued with any restrictions imposed.
Target & Hunting – Restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational
shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; and for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns). Includes travel to and from activity location.
Sporting – Restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location.
Employment - Restricts possession to business owner engaged in business activities, or to an employee while engaged in work related activities, and maintaining proficiency, where the employer requires carrying of a firearm (i.e. armored car, security guard, etc.). Includes travel to and from activity location.

Interesting post, Wayne.

To confuse things even more, the restrictions my LEO put down were "Sporting & Target".

I'll let you know what the actual card says when I get it.

Hi folks,

Quick update: I just got a phone call from the Salem PD. I can pick up my Class A license on the 7th of September.

So from application to pickup it will have taken 17 days in Salem, MA.

Congrats on the Class A- I wouldn't have gone about restricting myself the way you did, but if you're happy, then that's good.

ETA- And I know this isn't on you, this is on me, but as one "professional" to another- I am also a firearms instructor. The organization I help teach with would never, ever, EVER recommend that anybody apply for anything other than a Class A- ALP. If the asshats at the police station want to restrict you, that's on them, but why do it to yourself? I'd love to have a talking to at your "instructor" and find out what sort of crack s/he's smoking. What sort of teacher tells their students to try for anything but the best, even if the outcome is out of their control?

Last edited:
Congrats on the LTC. Hope you weren't restricted.

How come you have to wait until 9/7, are they closed for vacation? [rolleyes]

Or do they only take walk-ins on the 1st Friday of each month? [thinking]

Our PD mailed my Wife's LTC to her, although it wouldn't have been much hardship for us to drive the 4 miles RT some evening, as our dispatchers are always at work and leaving stuff at the front desk (incoming or outgoing) has been a way of life at our PD for longer than I've been here.

Hi folks,

Thought I would put this thread to rest by saying that I picked up my class A LTC this morning at the Salem MA PD, 17 days after my application was submitted. It does have "target and hunting" restrictions, and I do indeed regret not just going for the ALP during my interview.

I immediately took advantage of my new status as an actual human being and bought 400 rounds of 20 gauge target loads from Dick's.

I pick up my new shottie tomorrow, and I'm looking at getting my first handgun, a Mark III .22, in a few months.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I'm really glad I didn't go with my original plan to get a class B.

Cheers and Happy Shooting!

Tom

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting my first handgun, a Mark III .22, in a few months.
Tom, may I suggest STRONGLY that you get a used Mark II, instead?

The MK III is a masterful tribute to the dangers of allowing the lawyers to dictate the features of a gun. The MK III, while a nice shooting gun, is the most pussified handgun it's ever been my displeasure to deal with. Magazine disconnect, magazines that won't drop free, magazines designed so that they hit the edge of your hand so that even if they were drop free they couldn't, you have to put the damned magazine in to take the gun apart, then you have to take it out... and you have to do the same crap to put it back together again. [rolleyes]

It's also got a truly obnoxious loaded chamber flag, and I DO mean flag - sticks out like a Chasid in a whorehouse. [rolleyes]

As I said... I'd look for a used MK II.

Tom, may I suggest STRONGLY that you get a used Mark II, instead?

Yes, I've read about all of these little quirks and had originally wrote it off. Then I got to fondle the Mark III Hunter and just loved the way it balanced and pointed. I also like the location of the mag release on the IIIs as they're more in line with general semi-auto design.

Not to derail the thread, but any more advice on this would be appreciated. Maybe we should just start a new thread in the hardware section of the forums as I'd love to hear more about the pros and cons of the different Ruger Mark interations.

Tom

At the Steel plate / pin range @ DF&G last Sunday i discussed this with a Salem Resident.
He has a Class A restricted-hunting,sporting. The licensing officer told him he would upgrade it to unrestricted in a "year or two" if he produced a business license proving he owned his own company. This fellow cleans houses with one employee.

Next door in Marblehead , my town , is a bit different. My LTC doesn't say "restrictions" , it says " Reason for issuance - All Legal purposes" which is what the officer SUGGESTED I put on the application.

The whole state's system is effed , but you are sandwiched between two Red Towns , Danvers and Marblehead. Pick one and move.

Back
Top Bottom