Classified Trolls

Would they be doctors who treat dwarfs?

Lol,i missed that. I have a hard time with cheif and chief. I wrote it wrong on the last form 4 i filled out.even though i expect it would have slipped pass the atf i still refilled out the form.

I don't sell alot but I have recently had a few items on the classifieds here and on armslist. I think Maura and gang are trolling sellers. Either that or the world is full of idiots.

Example 1: From NES Classifieds--Hi, I'm really interested in your gun and would like to secure the purchase of it while I'm out of the country. Can I send half the money to hold it until I get back?

Example 2: From Armslist---Thanks for getting back to me. Are you firm on price? How would you like to receive payment? I am currently working in Michigan right now. I'll arrange for a pick up through my FFL dealer as soon as you receive payment. I am serious about the purchase.

I know we can't do anything about the armslist fools; But can we report, create a list or just shit can offenders that are on NES to discourage such behavior?

Ok to start with I am not trying to be an ass,so don't take it that way.I don't understand how you might think it's a scam.Example 1,you agree on an amount,and a time when he will pay the rest,You state that if he does not pay by that time you get to keep the deposit.How could that be a scam you don't send the gun until you have payment in full,and a legal place to send gun to.Example 2 is very simple I have done it a few times with buyers.They send you the money for the gun,and FFL copy.I make sure money clears,and do an FFL easy check to make sure it's real. I always set a time limit with them on when things are going to arrive give, or take a few days.I only Had a problem with a guy that I was buying a gun from.He was kind of new to that forum. I asked him if he could email me a copy of his drivers licence,so I knew where I was sending the money to.Well that's when he started saying he never had to do that before,and that he just moved so the address was not the same.I just told him OK BYE, BYE NOW.

I assume OP is getting these responses through pm/email...over the years of selling items on Craigslist I've figured out a few simple rules for myself to follow and now it's pretty easy to weed out the bs...one of my rules is give them your number and tell them to call you to talk...serious buyers will call you or ask to talk to you...if they don't call then you know they weren't serious or were a scammer...pretty simple and it doesn't waste time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was just a thread by someone who got scammed despite a lengthy, detailed phone conversation and use of a USPS money order. But yeah, a phone call will weed out most riffraff right away.

You can get the usps money orders refunded.... half the reason for using one is they actual look into fraud.
i forget the charge, if its mail fraud or whatever, but its a serious offense.

There are people on the forum who do travel overseas for work, ahem. It's possible that someone is interested in the item and would like to complete a transaction upon their return. Their rating & level of activity on the forum is usually a good filter, and the willingness to meet FTF.

That said, when I offer something on the forum it's first to bring cash- no holding beyond my first availability unless it's someone I know personally. Always cash FTF...

The guy was registered in 2012 and has no posts or transactions. Total troll.

Any public forum's going to face the same problem craigslist does- scammers are everywhere. Last year selling my Ruger LCS9 I had someone that wanted to send me a cashier's check, and then send a courier for pick up because they were out of the country.

There was just a thread by someone who got scammed despite a lengthy, detailed phone conversation and use of a USPS money order. But yeah, a phone call will weed out most riffraff right away.

You can get the usps money orders refunded.... half the reason for using one is they actual look into fraud.
i forget the charge, if its mail fraud or whatever, but its a serious offense.

^^^this...and there is also PayPal...I know a guy who got his motorcycle stolen via fake bank check...face to face = cash...shipping = PayPal...at least that's how I do things

^^^this...and there is also PayPal...I know a guy who got his motorcycle stolen via fake bank check...face to face = cash...shipping = PayPal...at least that's how I do things

Paypal does not secure firearms transactions, end of story.

I 'bought' a gun while I was overseas - seller was paid via credit card in a text message, gun was then shipped to my FFL. Picked it up when I got home, a week or two later. Some buyers do travel for work....and Gunbroker works well even from hotel wifi on the other side of the planet.

There are also people who will buy using paypal, then claim you shipped a brick.

And paypal will lock you down, take the money back, and then tell you when you appeal that they are taking the buyer at face value and you need to provide definitive proof past a shadow of a doubt or you will not be paid.

I don't sell alot but I have recently had a few items on the classifieds here and on armslist. I think Maura and gang are trolling sellers. Either that or the world is full of idiots.

Example 1: From NES Classifieds--Hi, I'm really interested in your gun and would like to secure the purchase of it while I'm out of the country. Can I send half the money to hold it until I get back?

Example 2: From Armslist---Thanks for getting back to me. Are you firm on price? How would you like to receive payment? I am currently working in Michigan right now. I'll arrange for a pick up through my FFL dealer as soon as you receive payment. I am serious about the purchase.

I know we can't do anything about the armslist fools; But can we report, create a list or just shit can offenders that are on NES to discourage such behavior?
Those aren't trolls, those are scammers. They do that on CL ads all the time. Same scam, different outlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

.....and Gunbroker works well even from hotel wifi on the other side of the planet.

A few years ago I was visiting in-laws in Germany. Bored one night, I was browsing GB just to kill time. Next time I logged in back home to find my account suspended for some reason. Googling revealed this was common. Customer service straightened it out, but took a while.

To the topic of this thread, there is a difference between a Troll and a Scammer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

No screenshots? some friend you are

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

3CC256B300000578-4183924-image-a-5_1486035817256.jpg

I assume OP is getting these responses through pm/email...over the years of selling items on Craigslist I've figured out a few simple rules for myself to follow and now it's pretty easy to weed out the bs...one of my rules is give them your number and tell them to call you to talk...serious buyers will call you or ask to talk to you...if they don't call then you know they weren't serious or were a scammer...pretty simple and it doesn't waste time

Every time I see this for something I want to buy, I think "talk. On the phone? Nah." And I buy something else. I hate talking to people on the phone. My boss doesn't even call me anymore, he just texts.

My buddy almost got conned by a guy on Armslist maybe 2 weeks ago. Guy was selling a Kimber "whatever model" for 1/3 of retail. He proceeds to tell my buddy he's shipping it to his local FFL and needs him to pay the courier. Courier website wanted name, etc etc and topped it off with your last 4 SSN lol.

Paypal does not secure firearms transactions, end of story.

Ahh that's right...I don't think I would do anything other than face to face for firearms anyway...if you want it that bad you'll drive...I have driven to different states for motorcycles...haven't sold any firearms yet anyway

There are also people who will buy using paypal, then claim you shipped a brick.

I stick to selling mostly and when I buy its from a forum member who has a lot of posts if I have to PayPal

Example 1 - I dont see what is wrong with that. Yes. Send me half the money and if you don't buy it, I keep it.

Example 1 - I dont see what is wrong with that. Yes. Send me half the money and if you don't buy it, I keep it.

Possibly a scam with a fake check. The account is real, it has money so it will clear but a month or two later the issuing bank comes back and takes the money back because it was someone who got their identity stolen and it took them some time to figure out. As soon as they give you the check they will be looking for the money back because their dog is sick and they can't afford it anymore, and if you give it back in clean money (A check from you) they get that cash, plus you lose it when the other bank claws it back from you.

Back
Top Bottom