Click-bang, Click-bang, Click-KAPOW!!

I was at the range today shooting my ruger mark I pistol. As I was squeezing off the third round in a clip.. KAPOW, and I felt debree spray against my hand.
A spent shell had failed to eject and wedged against the next round just as the bullet was entering the chamber. The impact fired the round and the case blew out at the rim! (With the bolt open) [shocked]

After counting my fingers and clearing the gun I Got back to shooting but was having some stopepiping problems. Looking closer I found that the extractor was gone.

I'm going to contact ruger on monday but until then has anyone ever tried to replace an extractor on a mark I, II, or III pistol?
Any info on ruger service would be appreciated too.

Luckily I've never had to disasemble mine, I don't even do it for cleaning because I've heard they're a real PITA to do so. I use a bore snake on the barrel and make sure I run it through the magazine well so the feed ramp gets a cleaning to.
Check online for some take down info and bolt repair schematics. Good luck on the repair and glad you're ok.

Luckily I've never had to disasemble mine, I don't even do it for cleaning because I've heard they're a real PITA to do so. I use a bore snake on the barrel and make sure I run it through the magazine well so the feed ramp gets a cleaning to.
Check online for some take down info and bolt repair schematics. Good luck on the repair and glad you're ok.

The bolt is pretty easy to remove but putting it back together requires a few steps to get everything in the right position. If you have the instructions its not that bad, but not realy worth doing more then once a year.

Replacing an extractor doesn't appear to be a difficult job but I could be wrong. I'll see what Ruger has to say on Monday.

Ruger should do it for free, but you have to send it to Arazona and pay shipping there and back, which isn't cheap (~$50 each way for overnight). You might be better off going to a local smith.

Matt

You are lucky you weren't hurt. I don't think overnight would be necessary, but if so, I'd say see if you can get them to spring for shipping.

I clean my MkII most every time I use it. If I don't take it apart, I still clean it with a toothbrush inside and run a few patches to clean the barrel up. I wouldn't want to leave residue and gunk in there to attract rust.

I have a MKIII and it is real easy after you've done it 2 or 3 times.

Be sure to follow the instructions.

I bought it new last fall, and had it to send it back, there were 7 lines on the
work order including one new mag.... shoots good now, but what a mess.

JimB

Replacing the extractor is easy... taking apart the gun is the hardest part

there should be the extractor, small metal rod and spring. If there extractor piece is still in. take a small punch, push the metal rod all the way in ( towards the back of the bolt) then the extractor will come out.
becarefull to keep the spring from shooting out
To install... put in spring then metal rod,, compress the spring by push the metal rod towards the back of the bolt, install the extractor... you will see that a knotch will fit into the bolt and the forward prssure on from the spring will push the metal rod against the extractor, keeping it in and giving it tension

11 69 70 on this image
r-mkIIs&t.gif

good luck

Thanks supermoto, it sounds like it should be easy enough once I get the parts. (The extractor, plunger, and spring are all gone) Hopefully I can get them from ruger pretty quickly. I feel a case of range withdrawl coming on. [sad2]

I called ruger and they are going to ship me the parts tomorrow.
When I asked if they would cover the parts his reply was "It's not our fault it blew out". [thinking] Aah, ok...
It's only like $5 so I don't mind paying it, but the attitude was a surprise after all the good reports I have heard about ruger service. The guy seemed kind of out of it so maybe he was just having a bad day.
Anyway, hopefully my nine-shooter will be up and running in a few days and good for another 37 years.

Back
Top Bottom