Clubs that do not require (or preferably do not even recommend) NRA membership?

[laugh2] As is your response. And he needs a defender?

He asked a f***ing question. Stop preaching and either answer it, or just don't comment. Because you don't agree with someone politically you shit all over him eh? That is a small man.

It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without actually accepting it -Aristotle

He asked a f***ing question. Stop preaching and either answer it, or just don't comment. Because you don't agree with someone politically you shit all over him eh? That is a small man.

It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without actually accepting it -Aristotle

Despite what you think, I've heard too much NRA bashing, especially from people who are either pro gun control or have very little familiarity with all of the various NRA programs, not just the lobbying end. I don't attack other gun owner organizations because they send too much mail or for whatever reason (aside from the pseudo-progun american hunters and shooters). They all have a place IMO. The NRA is the largest and although probably not the most fanatical it does command a fair degree attention when they speak. We need to speak with a single message or we will certainly be facing tighter and tighter restrictions on every aspect of our sport.

shemdogg

With 4 posts, starting this month, all in the same thread, anti-NRA, why don't you just go to another forum and post there? You obviously have not added anything to this one, and maybe the next forum would even enjoy your negative approach. I've just wasted more of my time than your posts were worth. <eom>

Maybe don't be a dick to new members. Maybe he, like a lot of us have a hard time seeing some of the good the NRA does. I personally don't like sending them money when they have no plans to ever help MA. I do support them because of what they do on the fed level and in other states with higher memberships. But in all honesty, i'm not very impressed with the NRA. They compromise too much, tried to derail Heller, and ignore memebers in states that don't meet their membership quota.

Telling someone with only 4 posts to leave the forum is a bold move from someone who has only a few hundred posts.

Try educating him on what YOU think is so good about the NRA. Maybe that will bring about dialogue and change his opinion. Telling a new member to f*** off because they insulted your precious NRA is BS.

I paid my money to the NRA and then received all $30's worth in the form of junkmail, offers, countless emails, etc.

They "magazine" is a sad excuse for an informative publication. It has gone from the first thing I read when it comes in to the bottom of the "on the throne" pile.

I'd very much appreciate if they showed me where exactly my money was going to demonstrate to me what value my membership dues are for the good of the pro-2A movement.

To the OP, most ranges I've heard of never ask.

I'll admit, I'm not yet a member of NRA or GOAL, my money's been going to other things recently.

No, I don't think either group has it 100% correct, but they'll do more to support my gun rights than Obama will.

To the OP, most ranges I've heard of never ask.

I'll admit, I'm not yet a member of NRA or GOAL, my money's been going to other things recently.

No, I don't think either group has it 100% correct, but they'll do more to support my gun rights than Obama will.

Dude, it's like 35 bucks for NRA and $5 less for GOAL. What are you waiting for.

Please never bitch about MA gun laws until you sign up for GOAL..

At least sign up for GOAL. NRA can wait.

Dude, it's like 35 bucks for NRA and $5 less for GOAL. What are you waiting for.

Please never bitch about MA gun laws until you sign up for GOAL..

At least sign up for GOAL. NRA can wait.

Like I said, my money's been going elsewhere.

And I reserve the right to b*tch regardless of financial contributions. [wink]

I would love to see the clubs that require NRA membership instead give you an option. If they are to require membership in a pro 2A organization I'd like to have the option of putting my $ towards Goal or Jpfo instead of NRA.

I would love to see the clubs that require NRA membership instead give you an option. If they are to require membership in a pro 2A organization I'd like to have the option of putting my $ towards Goal or Jpfo instead of NRA.

From my experience, those clubs that require 100% NRA aren't doing it for philosophical reasons . . . they are doing it because they have their liability and property insurance placed thru the NRA's insurance program . . . and they believe that NRA insurance requires 100% NRA membership. [I do NOT know if this is true or not, but I've heard it said enough times at gun clubs to understand that some believe this to be true.]

Likewise, the clubs that require 100% GOAL frequently do so since they use The Outdoor Message as their newsletter and if all their members are members of GOAL there is NO charge by GOAL to publish and mail the newspaper to members. [That said, I support the idea that all MA gun owners should be members of GOAL and I support 100% GOAL clubs.]

This is a pretty easy thing to figure out. Lot of good points made and some exaggerations but that is understandable.

I boil it down like other choices owners make about clubs.

Donate to GOA if you think NRA is not aggressive enough. You don't have to over-bash the NRA.

Donate to GOAL if you want changes in MA. Don't if you think they should perform miracles. As some said, donate to other related causes or volunteer.

People decide to join clubs on many other reasons. Whether there is a bar. Whether there are work parties. Whether there are range officers. Whether there are just paper targets, etc.

NRA and GOAL have a purpose. Clubs that require membership in one or both do for several reasons. I believe and from personal experience, clubs that require no membership do less about gun rights.

Dana

This is a pretty easy thing to figure out. Lot of good points made and some exaggerations but that is understandable.

I boil it down like other choices owners make about clubs.

Donate to GOA if you think NRA is not aggressive enough. You don't have to over-bash the NRA.

Donate to GOAL if you want changes in MA. Don't if you think they should perform miracles. As some said, donate to other related causes or volunteer.

People decide to join clubs on many other reasons. Whether there is a bar. Whether there are work parties. Whether there are range officers. Whether there are just paper targets, etc.

NRA and GOAL have a purpose. Clubs that require membership in one or both do for several reasons. I believe and from personal experience, clubs that require no membership do less about gun rights.

Dana

Agree with your sentiments and observations.

From my experience, those clubs that require 100% NRA aren't doing it for philosophical reasons . . . they are doing it because they have their liability and property insurance placed thru the NRA's insurance program . . . and they believe that NRA insurance requires 100% NRA membership. [I do NOT know if this is true or not, but I've heard it said enough times at gun clubs to understand that some believe this to be true.

FWIW, My club gets their insurance through the NRA and requires that atleast 51% of members belong to the NRA. I don't believe it's 100%, I could be wrong though...

FWIW, My club gets their insurance through the NRA and requires that atleast 51% of members belong to the NRA. I don't believe it's 100%, I could be wrong though...

I think that you are right. I've just heard officers in clubs state that 100% must be NRA to qualify . . . I think that it is an urban myth.

I think that you are right. I've just heard officers in clubs state that 100% must be NRA to qualify . . . I think that it is an urban myth.

There's a designation, "NRA Gold Medal Club", that's given to clubs that have 100% NRA membership plus a few other qualifications. Once upon a time it was required for the insurance program (or maybe just the best rates), but that hasn't been true for a while. Same thing with the "more than half must be members" rule.

Neither of these requirements still exist, or at least they didn't a couple of years ago. (The last time I was involved in the negotiation of a club's insurance.) Now it's just NRA club affiliation that's required, which as far as membership requirements go just needs three officers of the club to be NRA members.

Not to say that lots of clubs don't require it anyway, but they have their own reasons.

Back
Top Bottom