Combat Shooting

I went to my club's outdoor pistol range the other day with my favorite pistol, my H&K USP Compact 40. After shooting 50 or so rounds at 50 feet, I thought I would walk down range to about 15-18 feet for some draw and fire work. As no one else was at the club, I could do this safely. I loaded 5 rounds in my mags, set the pistol for double action on the first round and holstered it. I drew and fired double followed by 4 single action shots rapid fire in 5 groups of 5 shots. I blew my mind. After 25 shots, all but 3 were in the black on a 50 foot slow fire pistol target. Most were within a 2 inch group. One outside the black was a flyer, with the other two just outside the black. Decent shooting, the way I see it. I've always said my H&K's will shoot way better than I ever will.

I went to my club's outdoor pistol range the other day with my favorite pistol, my H&K USP Compact 40. After shooting 50 or so rounds at 50 feet, I thought I would walk down range to about 15-18 feet for some draw and fire work. As no one else was at the club, I could do this safely. I loaded 5 rounds in my mags, set the pistol for double action on the first round and holstered it. I drew and fired double followed by 4 single action shots rapid fire in 5 groups of 5 shots. I blew my mind. After 25 shots, all but 3 were in the black on a 50 foot slow fire pistol target. Most were within a 2 inch group. One outside the black was a flyer, with the other two just outside the black. Decent shooting, the way I see it. I've always said my H&K's will shoot way better than I ever will.

What club? The WSA won't alow someone shooting in front of the firing line without a range officer present.

What club? The WSA won't alow someone shooting in front of the firing line without a range officer present.

Tell me about it!

I am hopeful that one day they will have the 25' outdoor range finished.

And forget about rapid fire.

I do love it, because it is exactly 1.44 mile drive from my house, but I am considering joining a second club that will allow me to work on things I want to work on. There are a plethora of other clubs in this state that allow rapid fire, and having the targets at whatever distance you please, and there are no accidents.

Hell, I got yelled at by 2 old-timers that walked over to the HP range from the BP range because "You are NOT allowed to have more than 7 rounds in a magazine at one time" even though I was waiting the required 2 seconds between shots... BTW, I told them to show me in the rules where it said 7 rounds, and happily pulled out my rule book to show them 10 rounds was the limit, and that's what I had loaded...

Hell, I got yelled at by 2 old-timers that walked over to the HP range from the BP range because "You are NOT allowed to have more than 7 rounds in a magazine at one time" even though I was waiting the required 2 seconds between shots...

That sucks. At my club it's reversed, we get those 7 rounds off in under 2 seconds and the oldtimers think it's great (and then they remind us the proper drill is to shoot the fastest 6 shots).

Find a USPSA club or a club with USPSA shooters. They understand the beauty in the combination of speed and accuracy (and power).

I can see a club that has a rule of... "Shoot as fast as you can keeping your shots on target" or something similar, but I hear, and see all these videos and such of folks bump firing their guns, or doing full 30 round AR/AK mag dumps. Or even double tap defensive drills, and I start to think my club is LAME!

My club is in Bedford, and I would like to find a club that is "somewhat" close to home, that will allow me to do the things I want....

MRA is the same way, you cant draw and fire. (rr.1.16)
makes for shooting practice pretty much useless from a tactical standpoint and just an exercise in wallet emptying. i understand it form a safetly standpoint, but i would like to have some freedom.
hell in the outdoor range max capacity is 1 round(summa)(shotgun range). havent even bothered to qualify out there.

what i wouldnt give for a good backstop in some woods..

I can see a club that has a rule of... "Shoot as fast as you can keeping your shots on target" or something similar, but I hear, and see all these videos and such of folks bump firing their guns, or doing full 30 round AR/AK mag dumps. Or even double tap defensive drills, and I start to think my club is LAME!

My club is in Bedford, and I would like to find a club that is "somewhat" close to home, that will allow me to do the things I want....

That's another thing I like about Westford. As long as you keep control over your gun and put the shots where they're supposed to be, nobody cares how you do it ... draw, rapid fire, bump, move, up close, ...

Ken

You need to join Harvard and start shooting USPSA matches. Not only do they have several ISPC ranges they encourage you to practice these techniques so long as you are safe.

If you think what you did was fun try an IPSC/USPSA match and you'll have the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Not only will you draw and engage 1 target with only 5 shots, you'll engage several targets in several directions, possibly behind obsticals and even with moving targets etc.

What you did today is just the beginning of IPSC/USPSA shooting.

So when are you coming to a match???

seriously, you should take a trip to watch a local match. I'm sure you'll fall in love with this type of shooting.

Pete

+1 To what pistol pete said. I am a member at MRA and I think that club is great for alot of things, but I might end up moving to Harvard or joining both. I don't think that not being allowed to draw from a holster is a such a large handicap in practice. You can always draw and dry fire at home.

None needed

At my club, range officers are only present at scheduled events or team events. As my club is available 24/7 for indoor range use and from 9:00 AM on for outdoor use, it is usually member policed, which is how I, and fellow members, like it. Low-key atmoshere. I've been at clubs with range officers who think they're Marine boot camp instructors, and I don't like it. At our club we don't need "mother hens". We, as members, practice safety FIRST all of the time, and if there are violations, they are reported to the executive board.
As I emphatically stated, it was a morning weekday with no one else on the range or at the club, which is not unusual at that time. SAFETY OF OTHERS WAS NOT A FACTOR. It was an exercise, not something I engage in frequently. If you don't test your reaction time and accuracy in "hostile" situations, it's your business. I had a ball, and it proved to me that the money I've spent on advanced combat and handgun courses have paid off.

At my club, range officers are only present at scheduled events or team events.

Same situation with range officers at WSA. Hence my frustration.

I've been at clubs with range officers who think they're Marine boot camp instructors, and I don't like it.

And that's the other problem with some of the ROs at my club. [angry]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you enjoyed the practice. No USPSA in NH anymore but if you want to try IDPA they have it at Pelham and at Pioneer. Both have web sites and both welcome new faces.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom