Comcast Recordings

So I have Comcast with over a hundred classic movies recorded or I did have. Seems Like Comcast choose to wipe out 30% of them so you might want to check your recordings out

i have not quite figured out the "recordings" you do on comcast. I am not sure they are all residing on your hard drive in your set top box.

we lost internet coverage, and i said "no problem, i will just watch a saved movie"....but it would not play. it needed the connection to the comcast server for something.
Why?

My guess is Comcast lost the rights to those movies. So there customers can no longer view them.
Just like how some movies/shows are available on Netflix one day and then gone the next.

"Recording" in this sense is making a movie you buy "perpetually" available for viewing, so long as you maintain your Comcast, Verizon or whatever cable provider sold you "ownership" of a copy of the movie.

If you want your own recording, get Playon TV and record the movie as it plays on your PC. You can create a standard media file. Only downside i that PlayOn TV inserts a preamble with the IP address that did the recoding, and there is no assurance the IP address is not hidden in the body o the recording as well.

Just pop into Blockbuster if you need a tape...

View attachment 398819
Amazon/Hulu/ et al are the new Blockbuster. You just aimlessly scroll through the thousands of movies you don't want to watch( while making mental notes of which ones to watch when the wife is away) just to find the one you do want to watch has just ended its run with that streaming company. I guess the plus side is you don't have to Be Kind and Rewind the ones from the streamers.

I had an older combo cable box/ dvr with the hard drive, fan, etc, in it. New box is way smaller, no fan or whatever. What is odd is that although i Totally removed the old box before plugging in the new, the old soccer and rugby games that were on the old are still on the new?

I'm hitting some resistance on Blockbuster I see... [rofl2]

I had an older combo cable box/ dvr with the hard drive, fan, etc, in it. New box is way smaller, no fan or whatever. What is odd is that although i Totally removed the old box before plugging in the new, the old soccer and rugby games that were on the old are still on the new?

I did the same thing, apparently everything is now at the "head end" (main office). When there is a problem with the cable now you can't even watch what you supposedly recorded because it's not really sitting in your box.
At least that's how I understand it.

I guess the plus side is you don't have to Be Kind and Rewind the ones from the streamers.
fb1_8cd19d3a4398f389c9e9d5c4.jpg

My guess is the software on the box with the disk was updated to use the head end storage. It's much more efficient as it is almost certainly deduplicated.

I would not be surprised if there was eventually a class action suit over this selling movies using phrases like "own it". If you "own" your recording, it certainly can't be pulled if someone else's license to stream the movie is pulled, or if you cease to be a customer of the place where your "owned property" is stored.

Want to own a rental movie? Rent is and use PlayON TV to capture a copy as it streams to your system.

did you exceed your storage limit?

The way copyright laws are in the US, there is not one copy of a show that everyone can watch, each individual request to record a show has to create a new copy from the network source

did you exceed your storage limit?

The way copyright laws are in the US, there is not one copy of a show that everyone can watch, each individual request to record a show has to create a new copy from the network source
The line between single and multiple copies is blurred if the system used a true hash based dedupe file system to reduce redundant storage while maintaining individual separate files.

Use the app and download?

I hate comcast and it is my only option. Couldn't change things on my 92 year old dad.

... Oddly, until i added the word "CANDY" to my image search, i was not seeing any pictures of my Sugar Daddy!
Man am I glad I didn't have any mega-fillings as a kid.

Because even only eating 1-2/year for Halloween,
they practically removed my well-rooted molars.

Should probably put one in my go-bag first aid kit,
for field-expedient extractions.

Back
Top Bottom