Comm2A files against the AG on LCIs, Draper v Coakley

It is a pleasurable building to be in though, the view of the water is beautiful. (I'm sure it's not a pleasure if you're there as a defendant though, especially in a criminal matter.)

It is a lovely building. It seems to be greatly underutilized.

Justice delayed is justice denied. There should be a thread.[wink]
Reading the courts is like Kreminology or reading tea leaves. Sometimes, it will appear that the judge fully understands your position, asks all the right questions, then hammers you with an adverse verdict. Other times, the judge will "take it under advisement" when the decision is already been made - and the court prefers to screw you by mail rather than to your face.

But, other times, a lengthy delay does not have any negative implication. For example, we waited many months for a decision in Feltcher v. Haas, then got a totally favorable decision.

In other words, there is no telling what, if anything, the delay means.

Curious, why would judges not just make some sort of judgement or set a hearing date or something other than just letting a case sit in limbo like this. Are they really THAT busy, or is this just being lazy?

You would think the judge would like to reduce the open case count. If I let a ticket linger, my manager bitch slaps me.

The elite will make the peasants wait.

Reading the courts is like Kreminology or reading tea leaves. Sometimes, it will appear that the judge fully understands your position, asks all the right questions, then hammers you with an adverse verdict. Other times, the judge will "take it under advisement" when the decision is already been made - and the court prefers to screw you by mail rather than to your face.

But, other times, a lengthy delay does not have any negative implication. For example, we waited many months for a decision in Feltcher v. Haas, then got a totally favorable decision.

As an aside, this reminded me of 30 years ago there was a small claims judge in South Boston (IIRC) who refused to issue his verdicts from the bench, he sent them all by mail. He gets to avoid the drama, but it steals an opportunity for the parties to talk afterward and work out payment details. Then the winner has to chase down the loser all over again.

He must have thought it was like corporate proceedings where it's "Have your lawyer call my lawyer" or something.

We waited 5 years for Palmer and that turned out great eventually.

The court rescheduled the hearing to later in the day tomorrow. If I can reschedule my afternoon meeting I'll be in the court and will provide an update tomorrow evening. We don't expect the judge to rule from the bench, but we do expect a ruling on the motion fairly quickly. But we could be wrong.

Today, 3:00pm, Courtroom 4, 3rd Floor

bostonCourt.jpg

John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse
1 Courthouse Way, Suite 2300
Boston, Massachusetts 02210

Today's hearing is unlikely to be especially interesting as the merits of the case are not being argued. The AG will present her arguments as to why the case should be dismissed and we'll respond. The AG is basically presenting three arguments: 1) For various reasons, none of the plaintiffs have standing to challenge the regulation, 2) even if the plaintiffs do have standing, there's no harm that the court can address, and 3) even if there is a viable controversy here, it should be handled in state court.

This a pretty standard first round and I feel we've address those issues more than sufficiently.

The Moakley courthouse is a beautiful building with an incredible view of the harbor. We're very luck to have such a courthouse here in Boston and I would encourage everyone to visit. What goes on in the court rooms is a far cry from what we're used to in Massachusetts district court. You'll need to show ID and electronics are not allowed. I leave my cell phone in car rather than check it. I've actually been very lucky in finding metered parking in the area.

Today also might not be a good days as I believe there's an appeals court hearing on the defense's motion to move the marathon bombing trial out of Boston.

It is. In addition to Draper and the other cases on our site, we've recently made substantial commitments to develop and fund several 'stealth' cases. You won't hear about these for awhile.

Do you get a decent cash flow from the Amazon donations or is that negligible?

Today's hearing is unlikely to be especially interesting as the merits of the case are not being argued. The AG will present her arguments as to why the case should be dismissed and we'll respond. The AG is basically presenting three arguments: 1) For various reasons, none of the plaintiffs have standing to challenge the regulation, 2) even if the plaintiffs do have standing, there's no harm that the court can address, and 3) even if there is a viable controversy here, it should be handled in state court.

This a pretty standard first round and I feel we've address those issues more than sufficiently.

The Moakley courthouse is a beautiful building with an incredible view of the harbor. We're very luck to have such a courthouse here in Boston and I would encourage everyone to visit. What goes on in the court rooms is a far cry from what we're used to in Massachusetts district court. You'll need to show ID and electronics are not allowed. I leave my cell phone in car rather than check it. I've actually been very lucky in finding metered parking in the area.

Today also might not be a good days as I believe there's an appeals court hearing on the defense's motion to move the marathon bombing trial out of Boston.

The bomber change of venue appeal is today. I think it's over already but there may be lingering media taking up parking.

I was at the Moakley courthouse a few months back when he had a court date. Quite a bit of security theater out front, a bunch of media, plus the Tsarnaev's whackadoodle groupies. Quite the show, but it didn't seem to make much difference getting into the courthouse. I just had to resist the strong urge to smack the crap out of his groupies.

I was at the Moakley courthouse a few months back when he had a court date. Quite a bit of security theater out front, a bunch of media, plus the Tsarnaev's whackadoodle groupies. Quite the show, but it didn't seem to make much difference getting into the courthouse. I just had to resist the strong urge to smack the crap out of his groupies.

They're still there? I'm not sure how they can say he was set up when he was proudly saying they did it just after. Richard ramierez had those nuts, the menendez brothers, manson, etc. There are some f'ed up people. Stalers tend to be male, the murderer groupies are females. Same nuts, just diferent techique.

Do you get a decent cash flow from the Amazon donations or is that negligible?

It's more than negligible, but it's much less than half of what we bring in. In other words, using our shop.comm2a.org link should really be seen as additive and not replacing a recurring donation or individual donations by supporters.

Back
Top Bottom