• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

With this covid thing ive eaten everything on hand... only thing i threw out was a few packs of romon noodles due to rodent damage..It was only one package that was damaged. But the rest of them were 10 years old and fine.i think the oldest thing i ate was like 6 years past date... some kind of soup or somthing i dont like in general..... being as hungry as i was i thought it was great.

Finally i place an order at Walmart after not shopping there for 3 years. I hate Walmart.
Not open 24h and no ammo.They stopped carrying ammo/cigarettes right around the time they started selling liquor..What a shame they would’ve had everything I needed.

It’s kind of nice to empty your inventory. But it was really weird going to winter without any canned/dry goods.

I’m hoping to move pretty soon. Can’t wait to set up my next kitchen right.

You’d be better off keeping the price label on your cans just so you have a reference of what things cost a decade ago.does This really looks like $400 worth of canned goods?

I may not have bought any cans in about 5-6 years...But look at these pull tabs!

Attachments

• D03DC6DC-45E4-4079-82FB-F56E65E3B316.jpeg
    D03DC6DC-45E4-4079-82FB-F56E65E3B316.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 21

Attachments

• 8BA19FDD-42C7-419F-9191-472DE74987C1.jpeg
    8BA19FDD-42C7-419F-9191-472DE74987C1.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 34
Some old corn bread mix I stored for testing. Generic Big Y from July 2010 and Jiffy from May 2014.

The Jiffy smelled normal, no clumping and I noticed the bag was 100% dry. The Big Y was clumpy, smelled like cardboard and the bad had an oil soaked thru.

I opened 4 of each and found same result in each brand. None of the 8 boxes showed any signs of mold. I made the Jiffy and tossed the BigY. The flavor blanded out some due to age but still good.

Next time I see Jiffy stuff on sale, gonna scoop up a lot and do a 5gal bucket/mylar/02. Seems like the Jiffy will keep at least 10 years.

20210227_113326.jpg 20210227_113329.jpg 20210227_113518.jpg

Some old corn bread mix I stored for testing. Generic Big Y from July 2010 and Jiffy from May 2014.

The Jiffy smelled normal, no clumping and I noticed the bag was 100% dry. The Big Y was clumpy, smelled like cardboard and the bad had an oil soaked thru.

I opened 4 of each and found same result in each brand. None of the 8 boxes showed any signs of mold. I made the Jiffy and tossed the BigY. The flavor blanded out some due to age but still good.

Next time I see Jiffy stuff on sale, gonna scoop up a lot and do a 5gal bucket/mylar/02. Seems like the Jiffy will keep at least 10 years.

View attachment 456133View attachment 456134View attachment 456135
This is great, I love cornbread, and was wondering how well the Jiffy I had on the shelf would hold.

View attachment 456133View attachment 456134View attachment 456135

That corned beef hash is like my kryptonite. It's so bad for me but I love it so much.

That corned beef hash is like my kryptonite. It's so bad for me but I love it so much.
it's some pretty dense calories, and a can of it can be stretched to feed multiple people with eggs.

To stay on topic, I had a can that expired 2-14 (7 years) and it was fine, with a half-dozen fresh eggs scrambled into it.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is the shelf life of an egg. Or that you can put shit in the root cellar and it lasts forever....And when it “goes bad” you just plant it......

Pasta sauce from 2012. Two brands. Both had good seals. Both tops popped with a definitive snap when opened. I always rinse the caps to look for eveness around the seal.

If I was buying more I'd buy the BigY Chunky. It's WAY thicker than the Colonna.

When I bought them the Colonna was 2/$1 and the BigY was $1 each.
20210307_163202.jpg 20210307_163207.jpg 20210307_163413.jpg 20210307_163320.jpg 20210307_163527.jpg 20210307_163455.jpg

I've had problems with the Jiffy brand in the past. On more than one occasion, if I don't use it right away, and let it sit on the shelf for 2-3 months,I end up getting a serious infestation of cabinet worms/moths. I will never buy that product again (unless I plan on making it on the same day.

I gotta do some taste tests. I have some canned corn from ‘09. #10 cans from ‘07. Dinty Moore from ‘08. Multiple 50lb bags of rice from around ‘09 too.

@xtry51 If you vacuum sealed the Jiffy and froze it as well as the other brand do you theorize what the outcome would be? How did you store these cornbread bags?

I gotta do some taste tests. I have some canned corn from ‘09. #10 cans from ‘07. Dinty Moore from ‘08. Multiple 50lb bags of rice from around ‘09 too.

@xtry51 If you vacuum sealed the Jiffy and froze it as well as the other brand do you theorize what the outcome would be? How did you store these cornbread bags?

I think vacuum sealed in small pouches and then tossed in groups into a mylar zip lock would be mint. I was storing mine as is, on an open shelf in my basement. I have a dehumidifier, but the basement isn't climate controlled.

I have been working through 2008-2011 chicken, split pea soup, beef stew, diced potatoes, and carrots. All pressure canned by myself. All of it has been good. Needed seasoning but definitely edible and enjoyable. I've also been eating LDS canned goods from about 2014-ish. Fresh as the day it was delivered. Wish I bought more.

If you can't figure out how to store white rice, stop prepping. Pretty sure you could leave rice in a cupboard for 10 years and it would still be find. Lol.

Do not store brown rice. It will go rancid long term due to different oils breaking down.

If you can't figure out how to store white rice, stop prepping. Pretty sure you could leave rice in a cupboard for 10 years and it would still be find. Lol.

Do not store brown rice. It will go rancid long term due to different oils breaking down.
The white rice in a plastic bag was fine after 12 years. I’m sure it could have lasted another 10.

The white rice in a plastic bag was fine after 12 years. I’m sure it could have lasted another 10.
Our LDS friends say white rice in their steel cans with O2 absorbers will last 30 years. I have vacuum canned rice in mason jars and after 15+ years it is indistinguishable from new.
My daughter raided the pantry for her off campus apartment (I knew and approved) and one of her roommates asked what 12-09 meant on the mason jar cover. "It was put in the jar on December 9"

Sure......

Back
Top Bottom