• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

If you can't figure out how to store white rice, stop prepping. Pretty sure you could leave rice in a cupboard for 10 years and it would still be find. Lol.

Do not store brown rice. It will go rancid long term due to different oils breaking down.
Ive been vacuum sealing and freezing brown rice. Am I gonna make it?

Freezing probably helps but how long can you really freeze it for?
🤷‍♂️

eta- "Cooked brown rice can be stored, covered tightly, in a shallow container in the refrigerator for 4 days. It will maintain good quality in the freezer for 6 months but will remain safe indefinitely in the freezer as long as the temperature remains at 0 degrees F or lower."

My worthless 2 cents here. I would not use freezer space for rice long term storage. A freezer at all to me is not for long term storage. A freezer requires constant power. If you don't have power you'll have to eat or preserve the food in another way. I store meat in freezers because I can always jerky/dehydrate the meat if I loose power.

White rice stores basically a human lifetime at room temp in a mylar bag inside a bucket. Which is stackable. Requires zero energy to sustain and the bin can be opened and closed for consuming over the course of a few months if needed with little risk of spoil.

Finally getting into food storage and watching this thread. I’m late to party, but now that I have some of my other prep goals getting completed, I’m getting my ass in gear. I bought a freezer, vacuum sealer, and a pile of meat today. I’d love to start learning to hunt, but I kind of need a job right now lol.

f*** Joe Biden

Finally getting into food storage and watching this thread. I’m late to party, but now that I have some of my other prep goals getting completed, I’m getting my ass in gear. I bought a freezer, vacuum sealer, and a pile of meat today. I’d love to start learning to hunt, but I kind of need a job right now lol.

f*** Joe Biden

rice, beans, O2 absorbers and Mylar bags are your friend

rice, beans, O2 absorbers and Mylar bags are your friend

For serious Did 13 five gallon buckets today. 8 rice 4 beans and 1 oats. I load them a little under capacity and by the time the O2s have done their thing there is usually enough space to stick a freeze dried pouch of pork/ hamburger or fruit with each.

Attachments

• AFBE1AD2-5E0D-4F58-95E3-F339759F8B4F.jpeg
    AFBE1AD2-5E0D-4F58-95E3-F339759F8B4F.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 21
For serious Did 13 five gallon buckets today. 8 rice 4 beans and 1 oats. I load them a little under capacity and by the time the O2s have done their thing there is usually enough space to stick a freeze dried pouch of pork/ hamburger or fruit with each.

So, just get generic buckets and Mylar bags? Also… we are gonna need you to upgrade from a 1 megapixel phone camera 😅😅😅

So, just get generic buckets and Mylar bags? Also… we are gonna need you to upgrade from a 1 megapixel phone camera 😅😅😅

I have a mix of food grade buckets with gamma lids, Home Depot buckets with regular lids and even a few market basket buckets with snap lids on them. If the food is in the Mylar bag then the bucket doesn’t matter, just needs to keep pests out.

I like to have food grade buckets around in the event of hauling/ storing water or even storing an opened bag of rice or something. I mean if we’re talking shtf you’ll be glad to have every resource available.

good thinking on the pork/ burger in there. Do you have a freeze dryer or just buy it then RE-package it?

the freeze dried meat has gotten ridiculously expensive, wish I had pulled the trigger on the harvest right a few years ago

Market Basket Ziti from Aug 2016 is NOT GOOD. I repeat; NOT GOOD. Oddly, Squirrels like it though...

With, or without "Lines"...

1633821992659.png 1633822036448.png

good thinking on the pork/ burger in there. Do you have a freeze dryer or just buy it then RE-package it?

the freeze dried meat has gotten ridiculously expensive, wish I had pulled the trigger on the harvest right a few years ago
Repackaged. Just that Augusan Farms brand, or whatever. But yeah your right. Most of my freeze dried stuff came years before and or right at the beginning of the craziness.

Repackaged. Just that Augusan Farms brand, or whatever. But yeah your right. Most of my freeze dried stuff came years before and or right at the beginning of the craziness.

I just bought a truckload of A. Farms stuff. Nothing freeze dried though. Why can’t you just freeze dry your own stuff? I’m looking into trying it myself and then stuffing it in vac bags

I just bought a truckload of A. Farms stuff. Nothing freeze dried though. Why can’t you just freeze dry your own stuff? I’m looking into trying it myself and then stuffing it in vac bags

I’m not that confident in my freeze drying abilities. The is stuff I hope to store away and not open for +10 years. If I erred in some way I would have Rancid meat in a bucket with +30lbs of rice. Also the prepacked stuff is actually decent. I’ll use it once in a while to make a soup or something just so I have practice cooking with it…obviously a lot less now that it’s 2x as expensive.

Did you repackage/vac seal it? One problem with pasta is insects will figure out how to get into it. That doesn't take very long, either.
No repack or seal. Found it in the back of my non-expiry pastas. Must have slipped through FIFO protocols. No insects.

Thought I'd boil up a handful for science.

It broke into strips lengthwise and tasted mealy. Color was also off compared to fresh examples. Like 2 shades darker in the brown spectrum. Not tan or yellowishanymore.
Looked like whole wheat pasta. Wasn't.

This may have been edible 5 months past "best by" date. Not 5 years.

For science!
~Enbloc

1633829378077.png

Would love a Harvest Right...

with oil-free pump option.

1633829558806.png

holding out for the periwinkle... :cool:

I got an email saying 10% off beef from emergency essentials so I curiously clicked the link, $90 a can on sale normally $100!!

so I looked back at the last time I bought beef crumbles in 2016, $60 a can (plus I had a coupon).

2013 receipts were like $45/ can.

man I need a harvest right

I've kept and used pasta in cardboard packaging for over a year with no effect on taste. But I have a dry basement with a dehumidifier I run all year round on hughest setting.

Keeping air dry is critical for storage if you're not mylar/bucketing everything.

Edited - fixed grammer

Last edited:
Here’s a little bit of my storage. As @xtry51 said I also have 2 dehumidifiers going 24/7. Dinty Moore is from 2012 @ 7.98. They first one crapped out after a straight 13 years. Big freezer and shelves full as well. I need to do the bucket thing as well.
49E2BE87-0BF9-44FF-BC50-23B6A53C0940.jpeg

I’m looking into trying it myself and then stuffing it in vac bags
If you end up going the mylar bag, bucket route and wind up getting into gamma lids. The below company is where I order from. Much less than Amazon as long as you order a bunch at a time.

Yeah I order Uline for my my screw tops. They are expensive though and not required. Home Depot buckets or others are fine.

I "splurged" because when I started my kids were toddlers and the screw lids have deep recesses for stacking. The buckets are also stronger allowing 4 high for 13+ years as of now with no buckling.

Keep in mind a 5gal bucket full of sugar or salt is 50lbs and flour is 33lbs. So it's significant. The nice buckets have wide handles which makes carrying them easier. The regular paint bucket wire handles are f***ing awful with 50lbs in a bucket.

If you want preps that are more easily mobile for bugout to a separate location, I would strongly recommend using 2.5gal buckets instead as they are much easier to carry. Kids and small women can help move 2.5gal pails. You stack 30-50lb home depot buckets with those shitty handles, the kids and wife aren't going to be able to help you load a vehicle or trailer up.

If you want preps that are more easily mobile for bugout to a separate location, I would strongly recommend using 2.5gal buckets instead as they are much easier to carry. Kids and small women can help move 2.5gal pails. You stack 30-50lb home depot buckets with those shitty handles, the kids and wife aren't going to be able to help you load a vehicle or trailer up.
great point. Presently I was planning on having them be in charge of the oats and freeze dried fruits/veggies. Maybe time to add some smaller buckets as well.

Yeah I order Uline for my my screw tops. They are expensive though and not required. Home Depot buckets or others are fine.

I "splurged" because when I started my kids were toddlers and the screw lids have deep recesses for stacking. The buckets are also stronger allowing 4 high for 13+ years as of now with no buckling.

Keep in mind a 5gal bucket full of sugar or salt is 50lbs and flour is 33lbs. So it's significant. The nice buckets have wide handles which makes carrying them easier. The regular paint bucket wire handles are f***ing awful with 50lbs in a bucket.

What size O2 absorbers do you use in the 2.5# and 5# buckets?
Do you scale the size of the O2 absorber based on what is stored in the bucket?

2000cc absorbers for 5gal.
Amazon product ASIN B086CWKVX1View: https://www.amazon.com/AwePackage-2000cc-Oxygen-Absorber-Storage/dp/B086CWKVX1/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=9H7G9C3GYE4I&dchild=1&keywords=2000cc+oxygen+absorbers&qid=1633968812&sprefix=2000cc+&sr=8-4

1000cc for 2.5gal
Amazon product ASIN B08G879RKTView: https://www.amazon.com/wisedry-1000CC-Absorbers-Dehydrated-Storage/dp/B08G879RKT/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=1000cc+oxygen+absorbers&qid=1633968851&sr=8-6

I do not alter based on what's in bucket/bag.

DO NOT put an 02 absorber in the bucket, outside the mylar bag. And DO squeeze or vacuum out as much air as possible from the mylar before you seal it. I squeeze.

If you do not follow the above you WILL collapse a bucket or break it because that O2 absorber will vacuum the bucket in on itself. Good luck getting the lid off after that starts to happen.

If someone wants a video, I can make a bucket and film it start to finish sometime in the next month.

Back
Top Bottom