• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Congressman calls for ban on 3d printed guns

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/09/congressman-calls-for-ban-on-3.html

Rep Steve Israel has called for a ban on of Wiki Weapons. The congressman points out (correctly) that all-plastic 3D printed weapons would not be easy to spot using traditional methods, such as metal detectors.

well, its about time.

He is calling for the renewal of the 1988 federal "Undetectable Firearms Act" because he is afraid of plastic guns.
http://www.meetthe112th.com/latest-news/rep-steve-israel-urges-congress-to-renew-wiki-weapon-ban/

Other officials at the news conference included Suffolk County Police Chief of Department James Burke, who said 3-D printers could bring about the proliferation of guns “in our children’s bedrooms, in basements and in dorm rooms.”
“With the prices of these printers under $1,000, I think anyone can imagine the rise of an amateur gun maker in our community,” Burke said.

The horror!

has anybody been able to even succesfully print out from start to finish all the pieces to make a functional gun? Might as well ban tools too, gon knows what kind of shit somebody could make with tools...[rolleyes] GMAFB

they havn't banned inkjet printers you can print fake money on those things. I'm gunna print me up some fake money at work today and buy a 3d printer and print me up some guns

I can't believe this bill is getting in the way of my proposed ban on unicorns outfitted with tank treads. This is an important issue. Think of the children!

Can someone tell me the last time they saw a gun with a plastic barrel and chamber... Just asking... OR plastic cartridges?

How are they any less detectable than any other polymer pistol?

This is really the silliest part of this whole thing! Yes, you can "print up" a receiver, or stock, etc., but any real functional parts still need to be metal.[rolleyes]

I heard there is something circulating on the internet that some guy made an AK-47 out of a shovel, I checked on Snopes and there isn't anything about it

:)

Time to stock up on preban 3d printers.

In Russia shovels don't shovel, they shoot!

I heard there is something circulating on the internet that some guy made an AK-47 out of a shovel, I checked on Snopes and there isn't anything about it

:)

Last edited:
Mental retardation at its finest
He is clearly hysterical, paranoid and delusional and overcome with irrational fears of inanimate objects and a danger to self and others - thus he requires involuntary commitment to ensure that he is of sound mind and does not harm himself or others while in this mental state. [wink]

Meanwhile, there is an epidemic of illegal flame throwers. We need to ban setting farts on fire to save the children.

Some of his other submitted legislation...

12. H.R.2039 : To suspend temporarily the duty on nightlights of plastic.
Sponsor: Rep Israel, Steve [NY-2] (introduced 5/26/2011) Cosponsors (None)
Committees: House Ways and Means
Latest Major Action: 6/6/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade.

19. H.R.3621 : To suspend temporarily the duty on certain adjustable metal lighting fixtures.
Sponsor: Rep Israel, Steve [NY-2] (introduced 12/8/2011) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 12/13/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade.

29. H.R.5130 : To suspend temporarily the duty on certain time switches.
Sponsor: Rep Israel, Steve [NY-2] (introduced 4/27/2012) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 5/2/2012 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade .

30. H.R.5131 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain porcelain lamp-holder housings.
Latest Major Action: 5/2/2012 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade .

31. H.R.5132 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain aluminum lamp-holder housings.

32. H.R.5133 : To suspend temporarily the duty on certain occupancy sensors.

33. H.R.5134 : To suspend temporarily the duty on certain surge protectors.

34. H.R.5135 : To suspend temporarily the duty on certain tamper resistant ground fault circuit interrupters.

35. H.R.5136 : To suspend temporarily the duty on banana jack connectors.

36. H.R.5137 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain brass lamp-holder housings.

37. H.R.5138 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain plastic lamp-holder housings.

38. H.R.5139 : To extend the temporary reduction of duty on certain 12-volt batteries.

39. H.R.5140 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain electrical transformers.

40. H.R.5141 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain 6-volt batteries.

41. H.R.5142 : To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain color video monitors with flat panel screens.

42. H.R.5433 : To suspend temporarily the duty on lightweight digital camera lenses measuring approximately 10 mm or more.
Sponsor: Rep Israel, Steve [NY-2] (introduced 5/7/2012) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 5/14/2012 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade.

43. H.R.5434 : To suspend temporarily the duty on lightweight digital camera lenses measuring approximately 70 mm or more.
Latest Major Action: 5/14/2012 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Trade.

44. H.R.5435 : To suspend temporarily the duty on lightweight digital camera lenses measuring approximately 55 mm or more but not over 200 mm.

From http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.php

Back
Top Bottom