• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a "snubby"

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
I've got it in my head that I'd like a smaller revolver for occasional edc.
Always been a ruger guy and I'm leaning toward an lcr in .357.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Is it a good choice ?
Should I look at something else and why?

Thanks

I pocket carried a .38 LCR for many years (I've switched to a Glock 43 but still carry the Ruger occasionally). Great little gun. I wouldn't shoot .357 through something this light but the .357 LCR is a bit heavier than the .38 version - good for taming recoil (I'd still load it with .38) but, well, it's heavier.

Pocket carry or holster carry?

Forget 357 in a J frame, 38 Spl+P's are going to be snappy enough in that small frame with factory grips

If you do end up with a J Frame, and you have to decide if you want a hammer or not, and airweight vs a more standard alloy, a Tyler T grip filler helps, but I am more of a fan of a full rubber Pachmayer grip BUT that makes the gun larger ruling out pocket carry.

Personally since I am old, my favorite is a Model 60 with +P JHP's and Pachmayer grips IWB in a Bladetech holster

But if you are a Ruger guy, the LCR is a proven gun, but again .357 in something that small is really hard to get back on target after the first shot, and a steady of diet of them at a range day will do a number on your wrists, a good defensive 38+p ammo is sufficient, remembering 2 well placed shots of +p is better than a miss with the 357

YMMV

I have a 442, pocket carry in a Sticky holster. I have the crimson trace grips on it also. they help with recoil thing is super light 16oz I think

I've been carrying the S&W 642 for more than ten years now, before that I carried the S&W Model 36 since the early 80s. Considering all the new ammo that's been developed in just the last few years I would never carry a .357 snubby. Anyone who has ever fired a .357 lightweight revolver will know exactly what I am talking about. In the right pistol or revolver, you can't be a .357, but in a compact lightweight revolver, they are just too hard to handle. After firing my buddies, after only 15 rounds I couldn't even feel my hands. I could easily shoot 4 to 5 times that amount of ammo in my S&W 642. Even my old Charter Arms Bulldog revolver in .44 special was easier to shoot than his M&P 340.

S&W 642 and put the apex spring kit in it

Ruger LCR in 38spl+p is 1 oz. lighter than the S&W 442/642

Ruger LCR in 357mag is heavier than both, due to stainless upper frame instead of aluminum

Now, you can put 38spl+p in the 357mag, (+p is a decent round)

but the weight is still there.

What pocket holsters are you all recommending for these little guys?
I have a DeSantis Nemesis that I like for pocket carrying a 442.

It's impossible to draw from while seated in a car with a seat belt buckled though. For driving I prefer a Galco neoprene ankle holster. But I always wear it with 8" boots. If I try it with sneakers or other low top shoes it slides down and is kind of annoying. But with boots... love it. Super comfortable.

357 is my favorite handgun round, but not out of a snub nose Airweight thank you very much.

S&W 642 and put the apex spring kit in it
I have to disagree here. I had one in my 442 and kept getting light primer strikes. I put stock S&W springs back in it and it runs 100%. I just dry fired until I learned how to run that heavy DA trigger.

I have both a S&W 642 (38) and a S&W 340 (357). If you want to carry it and shoot it regularly, get the 642. You will not enjoy shooting the 340, as mentioned above, it is pretty snappy.
I have the 340, and it is not fun shooting 357 out of it. You have the option for 38 special with that one, but, honestly you are not going to want to shoot 357 out of a j frame, and you‘ll save quite a bit with the 642 or 442 over the 340. I would have gone that route if I didn’t get a good deal on the 340.

I will say that I think snubbies really are a “starter drug” for all revolvers. Snubbies will most likely start you on the road to looking at larger ones, and eventually you’ll be here asking about shoulder rigs for your new 44 magnum, which isn’t a bad thing!

Interesting I never had that issue
I noticed it with CCI 500 primers. I tried Winchester small pistol primers and they lit off no problem. But I didn't want to fool around with being right on the edge of it working so I went back to stock springs and the issue stopped completely regardless of primer type.

I've got enough rounds through that thing that the cylinder lockup is getting a little wiggly so that probably didn't help.

Shooting .357 out of a small, light revolver is likely something you will only do a couple times. You're better off shooting .38 +P.

I had a S&W 642. I sold it because I never carried it or shot it. Instead, I use a PM9 as a pocket gun. The PM9 (or Glock 43) has real sights, higher capacity, is easier and faster to reload, and is much easier to shoot.

Shooting .357 out of a small, light revolver is likely something you will only do a couple times. You're better off shooting .38 +P.

I had a S&W 642. I sold it because I never carried it or shot it. Instead, I use a PM9 as a pocket gun. The PM9 (or Glock 43) has real sights, higher capacity, is easier and faster to reload, and is much easier to shoot.
But you can't press it in the belly of a bad guy right on top of you and count on it to reliably work. There's also something a little more psychologically effective when a bad guy sees a tiny J frame and the five little ash trays facing him vs something more tactical/high tech and 'modern'.

I took my S&W 442 to a steel match and went up against a bunch of guys running red dots on their full size 9mms. Unsurprisingly, I got my ass handed to me. On the stage where I had to reload a few times it was ridiculous. A real reality check.

I got my hits, but it takes me forever.

But you can't press it in the belly of a bad guy right on top of you and count on it to reliably work. There's also something a little more psychologically effective when a bad guy sees a tiny J frame and the five little ash trays facing him vs something more tactical/high tech and 'modern'.
There is something to be said of having to shoot your handgun so close that it may be pressing against your attacker, and a revolver obviously works better there. Or for a hammerless revolver, shooting out of a coat pocket. From all of the videos I’ve seen with people defending themselves with a handgun, I‘ve never seen one where someone is being attacked, pulls out their gun, the attacker looks at it, and then runs away. It’s always someone attacks, the person defending has to react, draw and get on target, and shoot.

I noticed it with CCI 500 primers. I tried Winchester small pistol primers and they lit off no problem. But I didn't want to fool around with being right on the edge of it working so I went back to stock springs and the issue stopped completely regardless of primer type.

I've got enough rounds through that thing that the cylinder lockup is getting a little wiggly so that probably didn't help.
I don't blame you I wouldn't mess around the whole point of a J frame is reliability.

I've got it in my head that I'd like a smaller revolver for occasional edc.
Always been a ruger guy and I'm leaning toward an lcr in .357.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Is it a good choice ?
Should I look at something else and why?

Thanks
can't go wrong with an sp 101 357, little heavy just needs a good carry holster. i love mine

Back
Top Bottom