Considering a "snubby"

Another 642 vote. Never shot an LCR, could be a nice gun but I'll never know since I don't see the value in 357 here.

I love revolvers I just hate snubbies. With .357 the 340PD is almost impossible to control. Try hitting 3 shots on target in a row, it's ridiculously hard for me.

I was one of those stupid women who let myself get talked into a snubbie as a first gun. What an absolute mistake that was.
Its not a woman problem snubbies are an everyone problem

I love my snubby, S&W 638, .38spl. It has the apex trigger spring in it, and I've easily shot over 1k rounds throught it. For a while, I even collected j-frames, but I sold all of them except the 638 - they can bury me with that one.

I have several semi-autos that I like, I bought them with the intent of CCW now that I'm older and have a damaged arm/hand. But 100% of the time, I've got that 638 in my pocket. I know I can put my shot where I want it, and a .38spl or two should most likely do the trick. I'm mostly concerned with coyotes where I am.

Anyway, for you folks not liking your snubbies - I'll give you a few bucks for them :cool:

Oh yeah, I'm currently waiting on my second Robert Mika holster. Should be here before the end of the week. Best snubby holster for pocket carry IMO.

can't go wrong with an sp 101 357, little heavy just needs a good carry holster. i love mine
I disagree. IMO, the SP101 is completely pointless.

I had an SP101 and sold it. It's too heavy for a pocket and if you are going to carry in a holster then you can carry a small semi-auto like a 43x or P365 which has a lot better higher capacity.

I love revolvers I just hate snubbies. With .357 the 340PD is almost impossible to control. Try hitting 3 shots on target in a row, it's ridiculously hard for me.

I was one of those stupid women who let myself get talked into a snubbie as a first gun. What an absolute mistake that was.
See if you can find a Smith J frame model 49. I have one in nickel. I had a blue 49.before this one. With 38+p carry ammo its pretty easy to shoot.

I believe there's a $50 rebate on sw j frames right now.

I shot a LCR with 38's at MFS, wasn't a fan and am not a fan of Ruger in general despite having several. I've been looking at j frames lately, just not sure which one! This might be too hard to pass up, not sure if they deal with MA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_124550_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_124550_Reddit.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 14
K frame snubnose
I had a Model 13 snubbie, and with .357 ammo it was still a handfull, again I ended up with Pachmayer grips on it.

But damn that was a great gun.

I had a 642, I could not get used to it not having a hammer, so it got sold

Anyone have a kimber k6s? That’s a 357 and holds 6.
And it’s too heavy for a pocket.

There is no free lunch here. If you want small enough and light enough for a pocket then it will suck to shoot .357. If you want big enough and heavy enough to comfortably shoot .357, then it is belt holster time and you can carry a Glock 19 (or something similar) instead.

I’m not a revolver hater. I’ve got two 4” K-frames and they are lovely guns. I shot my Model 66 in IDPA for a year. But for defensive purposes a compact semi-auto is better all around than any small or midsize revolver.

I have a smith 360PD. If you can get a perfectly smooth trigger pull and not flinch when it breaks you've mastered double action.

It took me YEARS to get my groups fist sized at 10 yards. It makes me tired in 5-10 rounds like no other gun I own. An exercise in concentration for sure.

Great backpacking gun though.

642 here. S&W J frame over Ruger LCR any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The LCR trigger gets a lot of love, but I just do not like it at all. It's smooth but has non-constant weight. It's also easier to short stroke than the S&W. Granted, I don't remember short stroking the 38 or 357 LCR, whatever I rented from MFS back in the day, but my son got a 22LR LCR. We're both very experienced defensive revolver shooters, and both of us have managed to short stroke the LCR in rapid fire. The 43C is a much, much better gun.

Last edited:
And it’s too heavy for a pocket.

IMO even an airweight J frame is too heavy for pocket carry. Really obvious printing unless you have pleated pockets. You almost need to put a lb of something in your opposite pocket to not look odd. I found from doing a bunch of force on force that it's pretty inaccessible and slow.

Appendix carry works really well for me, but that's not for everyone.

IMO even an airweight J frame is too heavy for pocket carry. Really obvious printing unless you have pleated pockets. You almost need to put a lb of something in your opposite pocket to not look odd. I found from doing a bunch of force on force that it's pretty inaccessible and slow.

Appendix carry works really well for me, but that's not for everyone.
I carry a PM9 in my pocket in the summer. I find it easier to carry than when I carried a 642, but YMMV. It never attracted attention.

One advantage that pocket carry has is that you can nonchalantly put your hand in your pocket and grip the gun without people realizing.

I’ve tried several appendix holster but none has worked for me — they were all uncomfortable and printed badly. For belt holsters, I carry on my right hip for both IWB and OWB.

I carry a PM9 in my pocket in the summer. I find it easier to carry than when I carried a 642, but YMMV. It never attracted attention.

One advantage that pocket carry has is that you can nonchalantly put your hand in your pocket and grip the gun without people realizing. I’ve tried several appendix holster but none has worked for me — they were all uncomfortable and printed badly. For belt holsters, I carry on my right hip for both IWB and OWB.

someone walks up on you
'you know what this is. come up off that phone and wallet fool'
and that comes out of your pocket instead, that's really funny to me for some reason

the smartcarry works fine for me. completely invisible. not really comfortable sitting down for a long time. taking it off at the end of the day is like taking off a pair of boots.

the advantage to appendix carry over any other is that's the hardest place to touch someone. i've been pickpocketed before from my front pocket, and have seen videos of people sneaking up and getting hip carry guns off people, but if you touch me near my dick you're going for a ride and getting planted in the ground guaranteed.

I might try the Phlster. I’ve tried several quality appendix holsters for my 43x and they just don’t work for me.

I agree that appendix carry has some advantages if you can make it work. Every carry method has advantages and disadvantages.

I let a new gunowner shot my .357 sp101 the other night. He said "that gun hurt my hand"
I found that the 642 with .38 +P smacked my trigger finger. 50 rounds through that and I was done for the day.

Edited to add: you can put larger Pachmayr boot grips on the 642 that make it far more comfortable to shoot, but then it no longer fits in your pocket, which defeats the whole purpose of the gun.

Last edited:
It's too heavy for a pocket and if you are going to carry in a holster then you can carry a small semi-auto like a 43x or P365 which has a lot better higher capacity.
For myself I have to agree, unfortunately. But I wouldn't say it is pointless for everyone. I have yet to sell my wife on any semi-auto, and I'd never hand her a 38+P J frame. For her I'm either looking at something at about the size and weight of an SP101 or a rimfire J frame. Pick your poison. That's why I haven't sold my 3" SP101 in 357M. I wish it were chambered in .327 Federal Magnum, though.

Back
Top Bottom