• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

corrosive .30 ammo

anyone know a good website where i can find out if my surplus ammo is corrosive or not? just got a garand and carbine with some older ammo and wanna make sure it aint corrosive before is shoot it!

This is a handy site for identifying headstamps although it won't necessarily tell you if it is corrosive. http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm Once you identify the headstamp and post it here, someone will probably know if it is corrosive or not. I will not shoot any corrosive ammo through any autoloaders, but I'm sure plenty of people don't mind breaking everything down to properly clean after corrosive ammo use.

I love the Garand and the carbine, both are great guns to shoot, enjoy!

non corrossive chart

I recieved this from the CMP a while back. Im not sure how to read it? I was told for the most part after 62 you should be OK. When in doubt treat as corrossive. was told the greek ammo is non corrosive.

Last edited:
All US manufactured lots of carbine ammo are non corrosive. The kicker is there is some Chinese manufactured .30 Carbine kicking around that has a headstamp of LC 53 that is corrosive. I dont know how to tell the difference but you can probably find it on the net. From the above chart any .30-06 ball manufactured after 5-52 is NC and any AP after 6-54 is NC. If you are worried about it sell it or just shoot it and clean. I dont understand why people worry so much about corrosive ammo. It just takes a little more effort.

I dont understand why people worry so much about corrosive ammo. It just takes a little more effort.

I think its because lots of people (myself included) sometimes just put a rifle away after shooting without cleaning. If I know ammo I'm shooting is corrosive or I suspect, that rifle gets cleaned later that night after I get home. If not, it may sit in the vault for weeks, months even before it gets cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom