• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cost of Ammo

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Went out looking for some .45 Colt for my new Ruger.

One place had Remington only at $39.99/box !

M&M in Plymouth had Bullseye at $34.99 and Ultramax at the same price.

I might take a ride to Bullseye in Woonsocket and see what they sell the stuff for at the horses mouth.

I gotta get my reloading stuff up and running quick, or I'll be a collector only, not a collector/shooter!

Oh, I went in and asked the guy at M&M if they had any .45 Colt ammo. He said, "45 Long Colt?" I said yes. Then he goes to the shelf and get me a box of Bullseye and Ultramax each marked 45 Colt.

I guess old habits die hard.

I gotta get my reloading stuff up and running quick, or I'll be a collector only, not a collector/shooter!

Do it and don't look back - nothing has satisfied me more then saving the money and putting some extra time into my favorite hobby.

I just returned from Dicks looking for some 45 ACP. The only thing they had in stock was Remington UMC at $20.00 a box. I can't believe how much they're charging for that crappy ammo!

Mansfield I believe or close to it --- +1 on his ammo and prices (i was extremely pleased)

Read a little more on his main page about what he does:
http://www.qmmo.net/reloads.php

+1 for the qmmo reloads. I bought some 303 Brit from him last time I went to a Mansfield shoot and have brass to return at the next shoot in a few weeks if he'll be there.
Its great ammo and shoots consistent and is cheap because he asks that you return the brass from the ammo you buy.
Plus I got a great deal from him on some Portugese .308 that he had left over. I bought that at the NES pumpkin shoot in Shirley.
I vote he attends every NES shoot including the one I'm hosting at Sippican. I'll gladly pay his way for food if he shows up in Rochester.

Went out to get some Black Hills .223 (reloads) which I paid $18.99 for a box of 50 about a month ago. Today I paid $23.99 for the same exact ammo. This hobby is getting more and more expensive.

Blame the Chinese

They are using up lead, copper, brass, you name it faster than anyone can make it. Hence the price increase. Don't you love a global market?

I just picked up a couple of bulk packs(100 count each) of Winchester 45 at wally world for $29.95 per box. It is not the best ammo but good for plinking and at a decent price.

Pilgrim I live near Bullseye and usually his price is the same as what you see his loads for at other dealers. Lately he can't make the stuff fast enough. I buy reloading supplies from Paul, its the going rate but no shipping and he can be helpful with experienced advice.

I fired 100 rds. of 44mag the other day. It cost me around $.06 per rnd. using home cast bullets made from free wheel weights, & 10 grains of Unique that I bought in 8 lb. kegs. I will be switching to Universal in the future because it is cleaner burning. This load yields w/ a 255G bullet, around 1050 fps.

ammo cost

Big Gun :has the right idea reload RELOAD and RELOAD.midsouthshooters.com has the best ptices on tools.
I use Lee and their moulds.
you want to plink I load 45 acp 200gr swc 3.6 gr 700x and roll crimp.never had a jam. and my AMT longslide feeds fine.
press $80+Mould $36[6 cavity+12 handles]
25 acp win $30[crying][laugh2][rofl][rolleyes][smile]

Last edited:
multi box puchase discounts, ten bucks off for each extra box. 180ea for 2 170ea for 3 guess you can't beat it..Tiger rounds from amursyk russia. only 2 duds out o f the first 500, from the yugo SKS...

I fired 100 rds. of 44mag the other day. It cost me around $.06 per rnd. using home cast bullets made from free wheel weights, & 10 grains of Unique that I bought in 8 lb. kegs. I will be switching to Universal in the future because it is cleaner burning. This load yields w/ a 255G bullet, around 1050 fps.

Amen Big Gun, thats the only way to go!! Pilgram has to get off the Rock and get
down in the basement grab a Dillon 550B thats as much fun as shooting and grab
a tire shop and get the guy to save all his weel waights even if you have to give
him $5.00 a bucket, and just melt and shoot as is they will be a little lighter in waight
but not enough to shiv-a-git i am verry lucky i have 500 Lbs of linotype in my basement
and the way things are going i might be doing alot of casting in fact is is a pleasure
to shoot an 03A3 at 100Yds with a 200grain Lee Cast bullet over 12.3 grains of Unique
powder great accuracy NO Recoil at all,I use a #23 Drum in a Little Dandy powder Measure
that throws 12.3 of Unique!! Way To Go and NO I DONT WANT TO SELL ANY LEAD!!!

just my two pennies Sheriff Dudley

They are using up lead, copper, brass, you name it faster than anyone can make it. Hence the price increase. Don't you love a global market?

Gotta love how they take all of our metal then under-cut other manufacturers prices to the point where they actually lose money just to get a better hold on our market. Smart little buggers.

.45 cal UMC for $20 a box? Those cases I bought two years ago on sale at Dick's for $8.99 a box weren't such a bad deal after all.

I forgot to put some 22lr CCI SV in my range bag. So I stopped at a local gun store and bought a brick. I bought a case of it last year so I wasn't prepared when he said...

35 bucks!!!!!

I forgot to put some 22lr CCI SV in my range bag. So I stopped at a local gun store and bought a brick. I bought a case of it last year so I wasn't prepared when he said...

35 bucks!!!!!

Damn, that's expensive. Aguila SV is that much where I get my .22 ammo; CCI is about $25.

It's not going to get any cheaper, either.

Went to Kittery Trading Post early this morning to buy new rings for my scope. I grabbed a box of Hornady Tap .308, went to pay and almost had a heart attack. $30.00!!!!. You're out of your mind. I could get Fed Gold Medal .308 for the same price at Four Seasons and it's much better ammo. They were selling their Gold Medal for $35. I could go on but No, I didnt buy it.

Honestly judging by the information they've been throwing out there on CNBC everyday it doesn't look like prices will be getting back to normal for a while if at all. They expect increases in commodities of about another 15% or so by the end of summer I believe it was. I say just start shooting a lot of .22 in the meantime.

.45 cal UMC for $20 a box? Those cases I bought two years ago on sale at Dick's for $8.99 a box weren't such a bad deal after all.
I bet you're wishing you bought 10 cases instead of 2.

This is from Four Seasons web site. Notice that it's for the CCI sv #035 that's packaged in the cardboard boxes. The CCI sv that's packaged in the plastic is #032 and a lot more money.

CCI .22LR Standard Velocity Target ammunition

in the 500 rd. paper "bricks". CCI part number 0035.

Back in stock now: $29.95 / brick

I paid $25 for this last month at Collectors and paid $35 at Hunters for the plastic one which is #032.

I really can't tell the difference in the performance between the 2. My Model 41 is fussy and won't work with any thing else.

Back
Top Bottom