Coyote hunting

Lots of coyotes running around the back of my property in Pelham and around Jeremy Hill area. Was able to throw up a trail cam and these yotes are huge.

Can someone please confirm if .223/5.56 is allowed to hunt them and if there is any restrictions when it comes to ammo choice. I know that during deer season you have to use either buckshot or slug(?).

Can someone please confirm if .223/5.56 is allowed to hunt them and if there is any restrictions when it comes to ammo choice. I know that during deer season you have to use either buckshot or slug(?).

Directly from the abstract on coyote hunting (assuming you are asking about Massachusetts:

From the abstract for Massachusetts on coyote hunting

Rifles and handguns:

-Daytime hunting: During the period from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset, there are no restrictions on size or caliber of rifles or handguns.

-Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.

-Prohibited on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons.

-Prohibited during the shotgun deer season.

If you read it.....It's pretty clear......You are OK with a 5.56 or .223 but only until 1/2 hour after sunset when the special night hunting rules are in effect. Your info says Newburyport? If you are hunting the Merrimac valley it's pretty close quarters with homes and businesses. My advice is be careful that you have a good backstop on that yote if you do opt for 5.56.

Last edited:
I was planning on going to the Martin Burns area as I've seen some there while doing walks. And thank you for the clarification I was always under the impression that it was nothing larger than .22

I was planning on going to the Martin Burns area as I've seen some there while doing walks. And thank you for the clarification I was always under the impression that it was nothing larger than .22

Only during night time restrictions are you limited to 22 on a rifle. Day time technically you could use any rifle any caliber.

I could never get my head wrapped around using a 22 rimfire for coyote.......Seems like there is a chance of alot of pain and suffering on that animal.

In fact my cousin took a coyote in NH with a 22 rifle.......It was not a clean kill he had to hit it 4 times to put it down. That was about 3 years ago. He had it made into a wall hanging for his den.

Last edited:
I've heard that people have had great success with .17HMR and the other variants due to the better foot lbs of energy on target, but I feel that .22LR is too small for yotes like you said.

I've heard that people have had great success with .17HMR and the other variants due to the better foot lbs of energy on target, but I feel that .22LR is too small for yotes like you said.

Wish you could use 17HMR at night for yotes. Iv dropped a few during the day with mine and with good shot placement they drop on the spot.

When I see the non rural area's being mentioned and the proximity to houses, I just think back to a capable air rifle. The capable one's are not cheap, but they limit your chances of getting into trouble, which will cost a lot more. They can all be legally suppressed without any licenses or restrictions.

Here's a good example. The quick change barrels on this one allows tuning from chipmunks to yotes

http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/impact/
http://www.airgundepot.com/fx-airguns-impact-silver-bullpup-air-rifle-telescoping-barrel.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji0GfAY7bAA&list=PLDDE0912CE3A989AE&index=2

http://yutub.live/watch/QDc5LVFzaURxM0g4/fx-impact-coyote-hunt-graphic.html

Last edited:
1776, I have a PCP airgun just not a big bore that would be good for this purpose; however, an entry level gun like the Benjamin Marauder in .25 cal has a green mountain barrel and they get great results up to 100 yards. The biggest issue with PCP is that you have a limited shot count so make the first count and if you need to refill in the field you either have to use a PCP pump or bring some sort of HPA tank.

But yes those FX Impacts are very nice looking guns and Ted's Holdover is a great channel and so isn't AirArmsHuntingSA as he is limited to only owning airguns.

Yeah so long as your are shooting on 1/2hr after and 1/2hr before you should be good to go, but it you bought one in .22 you would be fine at any point in the day.

Let's go back to coyote hunting, I went through some wma and state forests east of i93. Havent seen any coyote yet. wondering where should i start the call. any pointer? along stream? edge of the woods? Does it have to have some openning area?

Let's go back to coyote hunting, I went through some wma and state forests east of i93. Havent seen any coyote yet. wondering where should i start the call. any pointer? along stream? edge of the woods? Does it have to have some openning area?

Do you see any sign? Have you heard them in any of these areas? If so I would set up quietly in any shadows and just have at it. And I would call long enough to pull them out from the residential areas/backyards.

Season's over for me in MA, and I don't have much to show for it. Only got out for couple of evening sets, and did a couple more during the day while scouting for deer sign. Next season...

short.jpg

20170422_183433_zps2dmi1fuk.jpg

Nice job!
Over bait or calling?
I had good luck w/deer last season but came up empty handed with re. To yotes. I normally get a couple every year, didn't even see one. Oh well, maybe the numbers are down? Hopefully I'm not losing my touch!

Back
Top Bottom