crimping dies

Do crimp dies help make a more uniform cartridge ?
I have tried with and without ,and do not notice a difference.
I have tried the lee full length roll crimp dies. They seem to work fine, then after about 20-30 I get a stuck Loaded round in the die.
I have tried lubing, but wonder if its the die, or me.
Just wondering if its worth the trouble?
Thanks, Mike

I'm a bit in the same boat. I keep wrinkling .38 cases and have tried belling more and going real slow on the seating/crimping using the same length brass and still having issues. I just ordered a lee factory crimp die so I am interested in the responses you receive. I'll also post to tell you my results with the lee die when it arrives.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I had some wrinkled 38 special cases and the lee factory crimp die straightened them out and they shot fine (wouldn't chamber before). You don't need to have the seating/crimping die to any crimping when you use the factory crimp die for your last step, doing that also eliminated the wrinkled case problem I had when seating.

Do crimp dies help make a more uniform cartridge ?
I have tried with and without ,and do not notice a difference.
I have tried the lee full length roll crimp dies. They seem to work fine, then after about 20-30 I get a stuck Loaded round in the die.
I have tried lubing, but wonder if its the die, or me.
Just wondering if its worth the trouble?
Thanks, Mike

Are you talking rifle or pistol? What caliber?

You shouldn't be roll crimping a 9mm (or any other straight/tapered rimless cartridge intended for a semi auto pistol).

A taper crimp to remove the flare from the expander die should be all you need. If you need an FCD to get your rounds to chamber, you're doing something else wrong.

The easiest way to set your crimp die is to use a factory round as a gage.

You shouldn't be roll crimping a 9mm (or any other straight/tapered rimless cartridge intended for a semi auto pistol).

A taper crimp to remove the flare from the expander die should be all you need. If you need an FCD to get your rounds to chamber, you're doing something else wrong.

The easiest way to set your crimp die is to use a factory round as a gage.

The only reason I started was that I shoot a glock 34. I heard about "the Glock bulge" and did not want this to interfere with chambering.
I will now skip that process.

Thanks, Mike

The only reason I started was that I shoot a glock 34. I heard about "the Glock bulge" and did not want this to interfere with chambering.
I will now skip that process.

Thanks, Mike

The "Glock bulge" appears near the base of the case (just above the rim) . A crimping die won't do anything to fix it - you need to take care of it with your sizing die. It's not as common on 9mm as it is on .40 or 10mm. If it's happening to your brass, you'll see it or you'll know you have it because your reloads won't chamber.

The best way to 'fix' it is to use a replacement barrel with a fully supported chamber. You can also try an undersize sizing die from Evolution Gun Works (EGW). These dies can remove the bulge during the sizing process.

Back
Top Bottom