• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crow Hunting

Anybody crow hunted in MA or NH? Anybody interested in going?Figure it might be better than going to the range to get ready for the pheasants.

Crow hunting is an absolute ball. My brother and i go all the time, it's a great way to improve your wing shot. There a lot smarter than you think though, they see in a 12x zoom at 1000 yards, and see color quite good.

Yes, crow hunting is very challenging. Either you are full camo with ghillie suits or dress in unsuspecting golfing gear out in the open. Anything else, they will stay out of range. They are very smart and their eyesight is incredible.

I used to do it all the time and have calls, decoys, etc. I don't do it anymore since I've come to the realization of killing indiscriminately isn't for me. I try eat what I kill and crow isn't very good to eat.

Yes, crow hunting is very challenging. Either you are full camo with ghillie suits or dress in unsuspecting golfing gear out in the open. Anything else, they will stay out of range. They are very smart and their eyesight is incredible.

I used to do it all the time and have calls, decoys, etc. I don't do it anymore since I've come to the realization of killing indiscriminately isn't for me. I try eat what I kill and crow isn't very good to eat.

Very true, but it hasn't stopped me from having to eat it more times than I can recall [wink]

I don't do it anymore since I've come to the realization of killing indiscriminately isn't for me. I try eat what I kill and crow isn't very good to eat.

Good more for me. [smile] With the exception of varmints I only hunt what I eat, but I will shoot every crow and yote I come across. [wink]

We hunt crows all the time on Nantucket.
Just remember that crow hunting is only allowed on Friday,Saturday and Monday of each week here in Ma. and that the season is closed from mid April to sometime in the beginning of July.
We use hand held calls and I recently purchased one of those small electronic calls that uses the cards with different types of animal calls. Crows will also respond to varmint calls like a wounded baby bird or a rabbit squeal.
They sure are smart. There is one "pack" (actually a group of crows is called a "murder") down the road from my home that we hunt frequently. I swear they know my truck and screw as soon as they see it. They are smart enough to recognize a person in camo with a gun and they have an amazingly diverse vocabulary, according to studies that have been done.

Ive always wanted to raid a nest and get and raise a baby crow, just for kicks.

One of our methods here is to get a trash bag and a couple cereal boxes,meat trays etc and make it look like its been spread out on the ground. Stake the papers and such down with small sticks so it doesnt blow away and put a couple decoys around, then start gently calling. They will home right in on what looks like a free meal.

Ive always wanted to raid a nest and get and raise a baby crow, just for kicks.

Way back in middle school, a friend of mine had one that he raised. It would follow him to school and knew every classroom the kid was in. The crow would sit out on the windowsill looking in.

One of our methods here is to get a trash bag and a couple cereal boxes,meat trays etc and make it look like its been spread out on the ground. Stake the papers and such down with small sticks so it doesnt blow away and put a couple decoys around, then start gently calling. They will home right in on what looks like a free meal.

I like that!

Back
Top Bottom