Customer Service vs Gun Store Edetiquette

You save more than $25 buying online?
I have to save a lot more to drive 120 miles to get a gun.
Last time I drove more than a hour was to save $1800 on a Browning Trap Gun up kittery. Plus saved sales tax. More than paid for gas , lunch and dinner and still had enough savings to buy a shit ton of 12g

Agreed, which is why I asked the shop owner "May I field strip this or would you prefer to?". The issue was not offense at them not trusting my skills, but at not allowing a complete pre-purchase inspection, using the professional's expertise to prevent any handling damage.
What makes you think the FFL is a professional gun dissembler, lol

What makes you think the FFL is a professional gun dissembler, lol
If you ask 99% of the dealers they will tell you they are Dog's gift to gunnery; are expert in all forms of firearms and are trusted sources of authoritative interpretation of state and federal law. If you find a FFL dealer who does not claim to be an expert, you may have found an actual expert. Dunning-Krueger and all.

If you ask 99% of the dealers they will tell you they are Dog's gift to gunnery; are expert in all forms of firearms and are trusted sources of authoritative interpretation of state and federal law. If you find a FFL dealer who does not claim to be an expert, you may have found an actual expert. Dunning-Krueger and all.

Once transferred, the gun is “used” by any reasonable measure. I list guns as “used, unfired” for many reasons including because the transfer was completed and I end up with the gun again. “Used, unfired” is not “new” and the price is lower.

This is not Walmart where items cost $0.42 so loss or returns are baked into the pricing. Manufacturers don’t take returns and refund money on guns, ever. They make repairs.

If a customer has an issue I will always take the gun and engage customer service for them. I also explain that they can do this themselves and with some notable exceptions, the company has good customer service. Sometimes my dealing with customer service is the right choice. They will ship me parts to do the fix where the customer has to return the gun. Broken sight, cracked mpx barrel retainer, etc and they will always just mail me parts and that is easier for everyone.

I can’t refund the gun or replace the gun as now even after fixing it I have a “used, unfired” gun.

I explain this all. 99% of people get it. 1% are self centered, obnoxious pricks named Karen who promptly get told to get bent and buy elsewhere in the future.

I can’t refund the gun or replace the gun as now even after fixing it I have a “used, unfired” gun.
Technically speaking the term is "won't", not "can't" .... but your position is indeed reasonable.

A couple of other differences::

- Guns a low margin items at independents. It's one of the few products that are priced higher at big box stores.

- If you buy something expensive at a big box store, the manufacturer gets it back if you return it in non-resaleable condition and credits home depot/whatever. This is why stuff like shelving units, self-assembled furniture, etc. usually comes with a notice "Stop - do not return if you have a problem, call us if you are missing a part or need help". It is far cheaper to send out extra hardware if someone loses a screw than refund Home Depot. I

Guns a low margin items at independents.
man, that is so true. when i started helping my buddy out in his store years ago, i was shocked. he expected to make the margin up with ammo sales and the peripherals...holsters, cleaning supplies, targets and the like. of course internet shopping was just in it's infancy then so as long as you treated your customers decent you hoped for repeat business. now a good customer thinks he's doing the ffl shop a favor by buying a bottle of hoppes once a decade or a pack of targets a couple times a year. even today, i'm a customer like everyone else and try to keep a high profile at the 2 shops near me. they don't know my name but know me by sight as a regular and that has helped immensely on numerous visits.

This is very confusing...

Are the FFL and the Rehoboth gunshop two different people?

The "FFL" was the source of this gun and sent it to the Rehoboth gunshop.

Here is a good question...

IF the OP inspected this transferred gun at the gunshop and noticed the flaw- the OP still must take the gun. The gunshop did their job and accepted the package, put it in his bound book.

If you want your money back from the FFL for the flaw- good luck.

Maybe you can give him bad feedback on Arms List.

If you don't want to gun - the gunshop should charge you a daily holding fee for wasting all his time until you accept the gun.

Lots of scammers on Arms List.

You need to send the gun back to the factory for repair.

Without a FFL you're only option is either FedEx or a UPS shipping hub- not a UPS Store.

If I recall one of those two no longer deals with individual gun owners---
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx.

UPS Only ships guns next day so it could cost you about $90.

You could find a FFL to ship it for you but if the gun is not "Mass Legal" - when the FFL gets if back from the factory- he may not want to transfer it to you.

Last edited:
This is very confusing...

Are the FFL and the Rehoboth gunshop two different people?

The "FFL" was the source of this gun and sent it to the Rehoboth gunshop.

Here is a good question...

IF the OP inspected this transferred gun at the gunshop and noticed the flaw- the OP still must take the gun. The gunshop did their job and accepted the package, put it in his bound book.

If you want your money back from the FFL for the flaw- good luck.

Maybe you can give him bad feedback on Arms List.

If you don't want to gun - the gunshop should charge you a daily holding fee for wasting all his time until you accept the gun.

Lots of scammers on Arms List.

You need to send the gun back to the factory for repair.

Without a FFL you're only option is either FedEx or a UPS shipping hub- not a UPS Store.

If I recall one of those two no longer deals with individual gun owners.

You could find a FFL to ship it for you but if the gun is not "Mass Legal" - when the FFL gets if back from the factory- he may not want to transfer it to you.
The FFL is the Rehoboth gun shop.

The dealer in Rehoboth posted them on Arms List. He went to the shop to buy it from him.
Ok, I see now.

Well then the OP should have examined the gun and tested it out first.

I think if this magazine problem were to be discovered before the OP left the store - the dealer would have to make good one way or another.

If the dealer refused to demonstrate a functioning gun - leave the shop and don't go back.

If I were the dealer - to show good faith - I would pay 1/2 the shipping fee back to the factory and transfer if back to the OP once the repair is made and the gun shipped back.

The big risk was the 60 mile ride.

That's like buying a car in from another state and discovering something wrong with it.
The dealer wants to make good but you'll have to travel back to the dealer to fix the problem.

Yeah, the wife asked the same question....didn't you try it out before you bought it? :rolleyes:

My bad, but thought that a NIB gun would actually work
You have obviously never bought a Ruger before.

./ducks. As I'm a huge Ruger fan, but sometimes a gun needs help to make it's way into this world.

Think of yourself as a midwife.

It is unreasonable to ask a dealer to field strip a brand new gun.
Then field strip and inspect before leaving the shop.

When I buy peanut butter from the supermarket it is unreasonable to break the seal and inspect it before purchase.
But, if I buy some and open the jar and find a roach on top before I leave the store - the supermarket better make good on it.

The gun shop got lucky that the magazine catch flaw was not discovered right away.

The gun needs to be sent in for service.

Since the gun shop is so far away - when the gun returns from service - the OP will have to return AGAIN.

That is 2 more round trips 60 miles each way.

How about shipping the gun yourself by UPS from a UPS shipping hub - that way when the gun is shipped back to you it will be direct to your house.

You'll just have to pay $90 for next day.

Once transferred, the gun is “used” by any reasonable measure. I list guns as “used, unfired” for many reasons including because the transfer was completed and I end up with the gun again. “Used, unfired” is not “new” and the price is lower.

This is not Walmart where items cost $0.42 so loss or returns are baked into the pricing. Manufacturers don’t take returns and refund money on guns, ever. They make repairs.

If a customer has an issue I will always take the gun and engage customer service for them. I also explain that they can do this themselves and with some notable exceptions, the company has good customer service. Sometimes my dealing with customer service is the right choice. They will ship me parts to do the fix where the customer has to return the gun. Broken sight, cracked mpx barrel retainer, etc and they will always just mail me parts and that is easier for everyone.

I explain this all. 99% of people get it. 1% are self centered, obnoxious pricks named Karen who promptly get told to get bent and buy elsewhere in the future.
Can't ask for much more than that.

I will be the first to say that i have spent more time than i should at gun shops. Ive been into this hobby for just under 20 years and never once have i ever seen anyone field strip or even ask to field strip a brand new gun at an ffl. I do recall me going to a local shop and asked if i could pull the trigger to feel the reset and was told no, and thats where the gun stayed. Went to the shop down the street, they said yes and it went home with me.

I have been told that too. I've also been glad to know how to field strip a few weapons I was interested in over the years.

First AR I tried to acquire, ended up not having a bolt. Literally NO BOLT. Bolt carrier was missing everything north wall. No firing pin, nada.

I bailed on buying used and began collecting parts along with @CoastieRon to build my own.

Last three pistols I purchased off NES, I think I asked if they were OK if I did a quick field strip. All said yes.

Only AR I ever sold, I asked the buyer if he wanted me to show up with it stripped or complete and make sure he knew he could pull it apart to make sure.

Really? I don’t feel like it’s too much to field strip and do a function test before finalizing the paperwork and transaction.

If you are just browsing, then yes, but as a serious buyer, it should be within your right. If you drop or damage it, sure, you should have to pay, but unless it’s a rare, unfired preban or collectible 1/69 hi-point or something, it’s reasonable in my mind to be able to pull the slide back and test the trigger pull.

Plenty of the FFLs will let you handle common handguns or rifles with no issue.

Really? I don’t feel like it’s too much to field strip and do a function test before finalizing the paperwork and transaction.

If you are just browsing, then yes, but as a serious buyer, it should be within your right. If you drop or damage it, sure, you should have to pay, but unless it’s a rare, unfired preban or collectible 1/69 hi-point or something, it’s reasonable in my mind to be able to pull the slide back and test the trigger pull.

Plenty of the FFLs will let you handle common handguns or rifles with no issue.
I think most don't want to risk the firearm getting scuffed or damaged would be my guess.

I think most don't want to risk the firearm getting scuffed or damaged would be my guess.
I get that if you’re just browsing, but a serious buyer that has already filled the paperwork out, cash/card in hand, should be able to field strip/check everything over before the final submission of paperwork.

You don’t buy a car, house, clothes, or food without looking them over, I don’t think a firearm is any different. You wouldn’t sign the title and pay for a car before looking it over, and I wouldn’t expect a seller to take it back if it broke down a few weeks later.

Why? The dealer is supposedly a professional who should be expected to be able to do this without risk of damage. We're not talking about popping the sideplate of a S&W revolver here.

I have only once encountered a refusal, and I never ask unless I am in "but unless a defect is discovered" mode. Ultimately, it is a decision for the free market to determine.

You don’t buy a car, house, clothes, or food without looking them over, I don’t think a firearm is any different. You wouldn’t sign the title and pay for a car before looking it over, and I wouldn’t expect a seller to take it back if it broke down a few weeks later.
Care to guess how far "that hood is not getting opened until the car is paid for, at which defects will be between you and the manufacturer" would go at a stealership? And there are defects that can be spotted opening the hood - for example, someone skilled in body work will likely be able to recognize if a fender was replaced on a "new car".

Back
Top Bottom