Customizing a Saiga

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've spent the last hour reading posts on the Saiga 12 forums regarding customizing the 308 I recently got and my head feels like its spinning.
Some of the rifles there have been way overdone for my tastes, but there are quite afew that are simple and still have a classic military look to them. I basically just want to add a Dragunov style stock to mine and a ventilated handguard. The hand guard is a simple replacement but the stock I like is the Choate model and that requires moving the trigger.
I've seen some people say the conversion takes roughly an hour and is simple but it still looks like enough to make me sick. Then there's talk of having to follow the 922r crap and have enough US made parts. [puke]
I suppose I could use the handguard and Dragunov type stock that doesn't require trigger modification. But even though they'll look and feel better than whats on the rifle now, its not what I really want.
If I didn't think it be expensive I'd send the rifle out and have all the work done for me, but than again I was reading some stories of hack conversions out there and unhappy customers.
Has anyone from here done a Saiga conversion and if so what are your thought on the process? I wish these were as easy as swapping out 10/22 parts.

I'm sitting here next to a VEPR 308 with the choate stock you're talking about and a Saiga 12 with the no-mod dragunov stock you're talking about and the handguard vented with a milling machine.

Not sure why you don't want the no-mod dragunov stock, but I thought it was a great solution to the problem of moving the trigger. I actually prefer the size of the grip on that one over the choate stock and both of them are solid. The nice thing about the choate is the texturing and the buttpad, but you could put a pad on the no-mod stock too.

There's no way that trigger mod takes an hour unless you already have done a few and already have your templates set up.

What I gathered when doing my S12 conversion was that the Saiga stocks that don’t require moving the trigger guard don’t put the grip as close to the trigger guard as it should be. Also, in doing the conversion to that extent, you change the trigger group, grip, and stock, which take care of all your 922 compliance parts. I didn’t bother counting because I knew I was way over the requirement. I just lopped off the tang and stuck an ACE stock on. I don’t know about the .308, but for the 12 the trigger hole is usually already there. Mine was cut for a “single hook” trigger and I only had to cut a square hole for the grip. The square holes are pretty easy. I used my Bridgeport, but to be honest, it would have been just as easy to have used a drill and a Dremel. Layout the lines per the template, drill the corners, connect the dots with the Dremel, and clean it up with files.

The thing I can’t comment on is a bullet guide that is shown in the .223 conversion web page.

Not sure why you don't want the no-mod dragunov stock, but I thought it was a great solution to the problem of moving the trigger. I actually prefer the size of the grip on that one over the choate stock and both of them are solid. The nice thing about the choate is the texturing and the buttpad, but you could put a pad on the no-mod stock too.

One of the other things that worries me is some people say a standard POSP scope with side mount is too far forward on the Saiga 308s to be usefull.

I am in the process of putting this stock on my .308

(removed the link... PM me if you want it)

You will not have to move the trigger and it takes about ten minutes to do.
I also just ordered a side mount from XXXXXX for $22 and mounted a 3-9x scope. Since the side mount is a "flat top" I can adjust the eye relief or mount any optic I want.

If this stock works out I was thinking of putting one on my Saiga12.
Good luck

Last edited:
To bring this thread up again I have a question. Can I add a door breacher to the end of the barrel of mine? it's not a flash hider so I'm thinking yes. Also, is this a gunsmith job or with the standard end cap just come right off?

Put the trigger back where it belongs. It is very simple to do, it gets rid of all the extra moving parts and restores the proper balance to the rifle.
Those rifles/shotguns were never designed to have there trigger in that position it was only moved back there so that they would be considered a "sporting configuration" so that they could be brought into the country. All the extra linkage used to do this hampers the trigger feel.
Making it 922r compliant is also a piece of cake. You need to replace 5 "countable" parts. the FCG gives you 3, right off the bat. A US made forearm and MD would make you legal.

Back
Top Bottom