Dangers of Fire Department Ammo Permit

Reptile

NES Member
I do not have nearly enough ammo to need a permit, but I am thinking there could be unintended results if I got one.

If I recall, a few years back, there was a man who was in his house when a fire broke out. He has a permit from the FD and when the FD arrived on scene the were afraid to enter the home to save him. He died as a result. Is that SOP? If so, I would not want to start stock piling if it were to mean that the FD would be afraid to rescue people that could be in the house.

Maybe there is a way to show that all I would have is regular ammo and not reloading equipment.

I though of spending all my extra funds on ammo since the AR I want is not available due to the damand.

PROPERLY trained firefighters KNOW how to handle these situations. I've had this discussion with my fire chief and he assures me that, although they want to know where the stuff is located, they also know that their turnout gear is heavy enough to deflect any flying brass from a cook-off. They don't hesitate to do their jobs!

YMMV . . . suggest talking with your fire chief.

I was a firefighter for 31 year and never heard of anything like that. If there was anyone in the house, we went in. That was our primary job. Putting out the fire was secondary.

Thanks Len and Garry for setting me straight.

I think I'm going to get a permit then. I'll explain that all my ammo will be secure and give the locations of the cache to the FD.

On a related note, is there a list of other approved containers other than ammo cans with locks?

wooden box ~ 1" thick would be nearly ideal.

yes, its not fireproof. it WOULD however not turn into a grenade given a catastrophic cookoff explosion...whereas the wood may actually absorb a lot of the energy released. (my thoughts anyways)

wooden box ~ 1" thick would be nearly ideal.

yes, its not fireproof. it WOULD however not turn into a grenade given a catastrophic cookoff explosion...whereas the wood may actually absorb a lot of the energy released. (my thoughts anyways)

I suppose if I put a lock on it that would be legal, right?

^^not true. yes, it's not in the MGL's...but its a MA fire code issue as to the storage of flammables/explosives.

technically, ammunition is supposed to be locked up. by letter of the law, spent brass casings are "ammunition", and *technically* supposed to be locked up.

there's a point where you kind of have to draw the line between legality and stupidity.

That is complete bullshit- How does the chief know you still have 10k plus rounds? What happened if yo got the permit then fired all your ammo and had NONE in the house at the time of the fire?

The chief says "dont enter the house because there is ammo in it" When the house burns to the ground and you prove their was no ammo the town has a major liability suit on their hands.

Just having that permit doesnt disqualify you from basic services like fire fighting. I think that is a rumor that some moron made up to scare people into getting a permit.

I have a permit and my chief said it was good for 5 years, It expires in 2013. If my house catches on fire the better attempt to put the fire out because how much ammo do they know I have?

Back
Top Bottom