Dealing with people that know you are a Prepper

PaulR

NES Member
I don't have but a handful of friends, and I really can't say I like them very much either, they're actually all my wifes friends.
Anyways, we all sit around and drink, and the topic almost always comes up, and the usual comment is "oh if the world starts to come to an end, we're ok, we'll just show up at Paul's house"

Finally at one point I said, well you best announce yourself real well because there's a good chance I'll shoot you when you get into range. Then of course the hemming and hawwing, "oh you really wouldn't shoot us would you?" My answer of course is "depends on the situation"

Anyone else experience these "problems?"
How do you gauge who you let into your compound?
Is it a smart idea to conceal all that you have?

It's come up before. My answer is always the same: "Well, obviously, my family comes first so don't count on me just opening the doors. I'll do what I can, but charity only goes so far. It's probably a better plan that you take care of your own than show up at my place with beer. Though, beer would be appreciated."

I keep a few 5 gallon buckets with some emergency staples to hand out should the need arise - I stole this idea: http://fivegallonideas.com/emergency-kit/

I'm not "strict" pepper I guess, I put away a little stuff. I also only have a very small group of close friends and they don't have much to say but on occasion I get eye rolls. I let out tiny bits of info and only if asked a question. A don't ask, don't tell kind of deal would be ideal but then theres the curious wife of a friend or two, quick with the wit but when the shtf, well, she'll find herself on the other side of a locked door when she's begging for a cup of water. [laugh]

OPSEC and PERSEC - you're doing it wrong. there aren't many ways the conversation you're having with those "friends" can turn out well, i'd either find something else to talk about or something else to do when they're around

The only thing I have told my wife is, to follow my lead when SHTF. That's all she needs to know. The rest is my problem. Single point of failure, but I'm ok with that since we will not be debating while I'm still around.

StevensMarksman

I had a wife on my street make the comment, "I'm coming to your house"
I told her be prepared to either take care of the actual workers, more than she does her husband [wink], or be food.

She cringed. [rofl]

I was at a neighborhood block party last summer when one guy starts to brag about how he's a prepper and has lots of stuff stocked. I asked him about guns and he was horrified and said he doesn't believe in them or have any. I take out my phone and start typing and he ask what I am doing. I said I own lots of guns and am just taking notes and walked away.

At least I know where there is lots of unguarded food in the neighborhood.

I was at a neighborhood block party last summer when one guy starts to brag about how he's a prepper and has lots of stuff stocked. I asked him about guns and he was horrified and said he doesn't believe in them or have any. I take out my phone and start typing and he ask what I am doing. I said I own lots of guns and am just taking notes and walked away.

At least I know where there is lots of unguarded food in the neighborhood.

Doing it right. You now either have A) Off-site food storage taken care of or B) Created a new gun owner in Mass.

Win-Win really.

I's simply switch topics and trivialize the whole thing. Like...why would you even bring up such a topic? I don't see the world ending just yet...people usually bring on remarks from other people by revealing too much about themselves. Most of the people I know don't even know I own guns, much less carry and that's the way I like it. If your wife talks too much about them or you, it's time to have a serious conversation with her about your privacy.

I have freinds who say the samething. I'll quote myself. Of course your welcome over here, my dogs are going to need to eat. then i laugh

I had a wife on my street make the comment, "I'm coming to your house"
I told her be prepared to either take care of the actual workers, more than she does her husband [wink], or be food.

She cringed. [rofl]

Beat me to it.
I was just going to reply "Start calling the men in the conversation 'Soylent' like it was a given name, and the women as 'broodmare'"

I have a relative that has been working on being more and more "self reliant" over the last decade. I have his personal invite to join him if SHTF......I have skills he does not and he has skills I do not and it would be mutually beneficial for both of our familes. He raises beef......has a massive garden........50 acres of land......heats everything with wood......windmill for electricity.......wood stoves for cooking for backup......hes on his way to off grid. Anyhoo........I was up his place for a holiday last year......his daughter had some friends over from college. He never mentioned being a prepper but they of course noticed his land, cows, agriculture etc.......one of them joked and said "man if stuff gets bad I know where I'm bringing my family"........the expression on his face changed imediately to full on seriouse.....then he stared at her and said "I would't do that". She almost choked! And we changed the subject.

Last edited:
I'm still a novice but I've been a collector of various things most of my adult life (music, bikes, tools, guns, cats). Whenever people bring up "How many ___ do you have these days?" I just answer in vague terms and try to change the subject. If they persist, I tell them that I don't really catalog my stuff. Typically people get the hint. If they don't I just say "there's always room for more". It's not too hard to dodge direct questions with vague answers. Hell, some people make a career out of it.

Anyhoo........I was up his place for a holiday last year......his daughter had some friends over from college. He never mentioned being a prepper but they of course noticed his land, cows, agriculture etc.......one of them joked and said "man if stuff gets bad I know where I'm bringing my family"........the expression on his face changed imediately to full on seriouse.....then he stared at her and said "I would't do that". She almost choked! And we changed the subject.

So she wasn't hot?

I don't have but a handful of friends, and I really can't say I like them very much either, they're actually all my wifes friends.
Anyways, we all sit around and drink, and the topic almost always comes up, and the usual comment is "oh if the world starts to come to an end, we're ok, we'll just show up at Paul's house"

Finally at one point I said, well you best announce yourself real well because there's a good chance I'll shoot you when you get into range. Then of course the hemming and hawwing, "oh you really wouldn't shoot us would you?" My answer of course is "depends on the situation"

Anyone else experience these "problems?"
How do you gauge who you let into your compound?
Is it a smart idea to conceal all that you have?

First Error: people you don't want to know, know you are a prepper

I'm still a novice but I've been a collector of various things most of my adult life (music, bikes, tools, guns, cats). Whenever people bring up "How many ___ do you have these days?" I just answer in vague terms and try to change the subject. If they persist, I tell them that I don't really catalog my stuff. Typically people get the hint. If they don't I just say "there's always room for more". It's not too hard to dodge direct questions with vague answers. Hell, some people make a career out of it.

So she wasn't hot?

Yes

We have the same situation. One of DH's prepping friends has a huge mouth and tends to exaggerate. They talk current events, prepping, guns etc.. I know this guy, in the spirit of trying to light a fire under his brother, has outed us. Due to the exaggerating I'm sure they think we have amazing amounts of stuff. We're all pretty good friends and I've heard the "We're coming to your house" thing a few times. On the plus side they have been invited to their brothers come SHTF and they have started keeping extra food in their house JIC.

The last time I talked to him I told him he needed to work on OPSEC. He said What??? I told him he needed to watch what he said and stop talking about us.

Back
Top Bottom