• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deals and steals

So Scopelist is good or not??? Is it the same difference???? If you say Ex-peshully, I'll hunt you down for crimes against the English language. ;)
I was running around this morning, first call started at 0300. Typing as I was talking in my head. Let me clarify, using one of my wife's favorite non-words.

Irregardless, you know what I meant. Did I spell irregardless correctly? Computer is saying no. Anyways, Scopelist is a good company to deal with. They are tied into Euro Optic somehow. Probably sister company.

I was running around this morning, first call started at 0300. Typing as I was talking in my head. Let me clarify, using one of my wife's favorite non-words.

Irregardless, you know what I meant. Did I spell irregardless correctly? Computer is saying no. Anyways, Scopelist is a good company to deal with. They are tied into Euro Optic somehow. Probably sister company.
If it were a word, yes, it would be spelled correctly.

For anybody looking this A pretty good deal on a vortex scope.
View attachment 459310
i was looking today at that deal, but, still not sure if it is worth it. i am really used to an moa, and this one is mil.
not sure if it is worth changing habits... but, it checks all the other boxes for a decent 6-18x scope. what do you think?

i was looking today at that deal, but, still not sure if it is worth it. i am really used to an moa, and this one is mil.
not sure if it is worth changing habits... but, it checks all the other boxes for a decent 6-18x scope. what do you think?

Those Crimson Trace 5 series really do tick a lot of the boxes and seem like a fantastic buy... but I don’t know anyone who has actually has one

Night and day that's really not a budget scope in my eyes. But some guys spend three grand on scopes. It's definitely a nice scope much better than the vortex. If $$ are not a concern I'd go with the crimson Trace.

I'm not sure. I bought a couple of 16" stainless steel Rock River Arms complete uppers.
It is my understanding that these are not real high end barrels, but they're not junk either.

Sounds like you just really want a scope.. Just read your last reply where you do want a scope lol

Honestly, it comes down to how much you want to spend.

I have a 1-8 NF that cost a lot, and you can get a 1-8 that cost 1/10th of what a NF costs. You can also get a 1-8 that costs more than my NF.

In other words, get a LPVO and decide on your budget. Not really versed on cheap Chinese optics, but you can spend up to $4k on a LPVO, and on a budget I'm sure there would be something in the $300 range.

So I suggest a LPVO in 1-8 or 1-6, get the best glass you can afford. Full size scopes look ridiculous on an AR and aren't really practical unless maybe you are a competition target shooter or something.. LPVO is the best of both worlds IMO.

It's all about looks man :)

Last edited:
Completely depends what type of shooting from 75-150y. Run & gun, bench rest, off hand, prone? Are you ringing steel or punching holes in paper for groups in a dime?
Benchrest for holes I would say the Vortex 5-25 Strike Eagle all day every day.
Run & gun, off hand I would say a LPVO like a used SWFA.

It really is pretty easy to convert from using MOA to MIL with a little practice. For me, the simplest way is to use MOA for the imperial system (inches and yards) and MIL for metric (centimeters and meters). So for MOA you just remember 1 MOA will span just about 1 inch at 100 yards (10 inches at 1000 yards) while 1 MIL will span 10 cm at 100 meters (1 m at 1000 meters). Actually MILs are easier to use no matter what measurement system you’re using because 1 mil will always span 1/1000th (.001) of whatever distance you’re shooting at. So if you’re shooting at 1000 Smoots, 1 mil will span 1 Smoot and 1/10 mill will span 1/10th Smoot. So at 100 yards, 1 mil will span 1/10th of a yard, or 3.6 inches while 1 MOA will span about 1 inch. For accuracy we use 1/10th MIL (spans 1 cm at 100 meters, about .4 inches or .36 inches at 100 yards) and 1/4 MOA (spans .25 of an inch at 100 yards).

I find MILs much easier to use at indeterminate distance. For example, if I range an average human torso target (90 cm) and it covers 5 MILs I know it’s at 180 meters (each MIL is spanning 18 cm, so I multiply 18 cm by 1000 and get a range of 18,000 cm, move the decimal place over two to convert cm to meters to get 180 meters). And that’s why all good MIL scopes come with a First Focal Plane reticle, so the distance that the MIL marks span are consistent no mater what your magnification is.

ETA If you want to do the above example in yards, it’s the same. Use a standard 36 inch (1 yard) torso target. It spans the same 5 MILs, so each MIL is sparing 0.2 yards. Take 0.2 times 1000 gives you 200 yards (182 meters, close enough for government work; the difference is caused by using a 90 cm target vs a 1 yard target, 90 cm is actually 0.98 yards).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom