Deer hunting, help me step by step?

Doesnt have to be long. Even if it is a day or two before you hunt as long as they are scent free when you put them in there you will be fine.

If you use this technique, is the spray bottle scent killer not to be used?

Arlow,
Good camera setup! You are right about the cover, but there's 2 major trails there funneling into one on an urban plot that I just couldn't ignore. I've thought of putting a camo skirt around the platform, but I think less is more. The view there is from a pine gathering area going down into a dense swamp. I envision them coming from the sides where i either have the pines or maples behind me, and not the trunk.

I agree about old wooden stands, but this is new with pressure treated wood, deck screws, galvanized lag bolts, and 2x6 construction. I'll take it down in a few years.

My spike last year was in an oak peeking out of an evergreen like you describe. I couldn't tell the placement on your shot. How far did he run?

I saw 2 deer hits on the highway this week. I think we are in for a busy season.

Scott

Red Fox pee on your boots. The deer are intrigued by it. I have had them follow my trail to my tree or come back after crossing my trail at full run just to come back and sniff it.

Arlow,

My spike last year was in an oak peeking out of an evergreen like you describe. I couldn't tell the placement on your shot. How far did he run?

Scott

He stopped just out of camara view and looked around for about 10 seconds. I could see the blood just pouring out of him. He then took a 40 yard death run at mach 6 and was done. Never left my sight.

entry wound
entrance.jpg

Exit wound
exit.jpg

Just want to add my two (s)cents [grin] about covering smells, camo,stand height, etc. I typically sit less than 15' off the ground in a Cabela's ladder stand, cheapest thing they sell. It was about $60 and has lasted the past 5 years with no signs of deteriorating.
Last year I sat in this stand, completely exposed, sitting right on a logging road in the woods of Missouri. About 8:00AM a young buck came ambling down the road, walked to the foot of my stand, looked right at me and since I didn't so much as blink, continued to walk along. When he got about 20 yds past me where I figured he wouldn't be alerted by me raising my gun I did just that and made a good hit . He ran about 25 yds into the woods and laid down and quit. Since I could see him and it was still early I let him lie and continued to sit. I waited about an hour, started to get cold so I figured I'd get out of my stand, field dress him, warm up and then sit some more which is exactly what I did.
Not twenty minutes after getting back in my stand a doe comes from behind me, stops in the exact same spot and I shoot her as well.
My point is I don't worry much about scents, camo, or anything but staying still and putting my bullet where it goes without waiting too long. I have seen more opportunities lost to so-called hunters that aren't sure when/how/if to shoot. You need to make up your mind before you get in the field how this is going to happen and then just do it. You'll be surprised how successful you can be focusing on the basics.

He stopped just out of camara view and looked around for about 10 seconds. I could see the blood just pouring out of him. He then took a 40 yard death run at mach 6 and was done. Never left my sight.

entry wound
entrance.jpg

Exit wound
exit.jpg

What were you using for a broad head?? I love wasps sst

Last year I sat in this stand, completely exposed, sitting right on a logging road in the woods of Missouri. About 8:00AM a young buck came ambling down the road, walked to the foot of my stand, looked right at me and since I didn't so much as blink, continued to walk along. When he got about 20 yds past me where I figured he wouldn't be alerted by me raising my gun I did just that and made a good hit . He ran about 25 yds into the woods and laid down and quit. Since I could see him and it was still early I let him lie and continued to sit. I waited about an hour, started to get cold so I figured I'd get out of my stand, field dress him, warm up and then sit some more which is exactly what I did.
Not twenty minutes after getting back in my stand a doe comes from behind me, stops in the exact same spot and I shoot her as well.
My point is I don't worry much about scents, camo, or anything but staying still and putting my bullet where it goes without waiting too long. I have seen more opportunities lost to so-called hunters that aren't sure when/how/if to shoot. You need to make up your mind before you get in the field how this is going to happen and then just do it. You'll be surprised how successful you can be focusing on the basics.

That will happen with a young stupid buck or doe. With a mature buck or an older smart doe it is very unlikely.

If you did not say that was a Broadhead hit I would have sworn it was from either a 12ga or a rifle.....WTF!!!!!!!! that wound is insane..I never knew broadheads did that much damage.

Nice harvest by the way

-op

expandable broad heads hit with punch and a half.
most hunting weight arrows traveling anywhere over 250 fps will hit with 60+ pounds of force.

If you did not say that was a Broadhead hit I would have sworn it was from either a 12ga or a rifle.....WTF!!!!!!!! that wound is insane..I never knew broadheads did that much damage.

Nice harvest by the way

-op

Arlow, that was nice placement. That downward angle is great for leaving a blood trail. Most new hunters don't realize that the deer don't die immediately and tend to run off and hide.

I only have 3 deer under my belt. The ran: 100 yds (shotgun quartering away), 0 (spined, expired after flopping for a minute, my followups missed), and 50 yds (thought it was too far back, stomach and liver, but must have caught a major artery).

Do you have a feel for how far a deer goes on a great/good/bad shot? I've heard some horror stories.

Arlow, that was nice placement. That downward angle is great for leaving a blood trail. Most new hunters don't realize that the deer don't die immediately and tend to run off and hide.

I only have 3 deer under my belt. The ran: 100 yds (shotgun quartering away), 0 (spined, expired after flopping for a minute, my followups missed), and 50 yds (thought it was too far back, stomach and liver, but must have caught a major artery).

Do you have a feel for how far a deer goes on a great/good/bad shot? I've heard some horror stories.

its not how far they will go it's how long you wait for recovery.
good shot an hour.
bad shot dont start looking for at least 3.
nothing worse than pushing a wounded scared animal.

AM vs. PM

Because you may have to wait, or track a wounded deer, I prefer hunting in the morning so I have all day to deal with the deer later. The toughest part of hunting begins after the shot, and is much worse for a newbie. On evening hunts I tell myself that I will really limit myself to what distance and placement shot I will take, so that it is very good, maybe 15 yds broadside or 8 yds quartering away (bow). My 3 have all been AM, a little rushed, and could have been a little better shot (I'm new dammit). Lord1234, the other side of the coin is you may consider not struggling to be there before the crack of dawn, walking into unknown woods in the dark, and all that. Go in after lunch, and when other hunters return they may push deer to you. Lord123: How's your reading coming? When reading hunting magazines, ignore the huge racks/record breakers they are showing you. Those are what we dream about, not really see. Right now antlers beyond the ear span are my next goal, and over 4 points. I like the first timer stories, or the "What I did right/wrong" stories. It seems to me deer are taken at all times and all places, it's just about being in the woods a lot and being patient.

My reading is going great. I've learned SOOOOO much from this forum as well. I'm glad I posted, and got so many useful replies.

I hope this weekend is good so I can pull/re-place some more camera's. A friend of mine's father has 6 acres that I am going to be able to hunt on, and he says he has seen deer:)

Great news for you Lord1234. Have any questions yet from your reading?

Around here it's SUPER urban hunting, where some call it urban hunting when they are on 100 acres of farmland.

Good luck with the cameras.

Good shots are good, animal is dead close by. Bad shots are highly variable. Pay attention closely to your shot impact, angle, penetration etc to put the puzzle in your head together.

The best advice I can give is be very selective on your shots with a bow. Make sure the animal is within what you call slam dunk range. Take your time and make a good shot. Do not rush, try to stay calm,and do not shoot beyond where you are 100% sure you can place the arrow where it needs to be. Even if it means the animal gets away because you dont get the shot. You put the arrow where it needs to be an the animal is dead in 2 minutes. If you do not follow this advice you will wound and not recover animals and you will feel really shitty about it.

That being said on a good hit even an animal in slam dunk range can move at the wrong moment, or you can be effected by nerves and cause a bad hit. 0-75 yards.

So good hit I wait 20 minutes or if I still have tags I continue the remainder of my hunt.

Unsure of hit I wait an hour, find the arrow and or bloodtrail and evaluate from there.

Stomach matter or smell on arrow I wait 4 hours. Back out quietly and went you return the first bloody bed should be within 100 yards most times.

Dark arterial blood and no smell I track slowly if there is enough land (stillhunting) and try to get another arrow in the animal. If I jump the anmal out of its bed wait 20 minutes and track again, and repeat as neccessary. Keeping the animal moving keeps the wound bleeding.

If not enough land to push the animal then back tot the 4 hour rule. Could be close, could be far.

I find the Primos "Original" Estrus Bleat Can easy to use. Because it didn't have a string on it to hang around your neck; I used the netting from a frozen turkey to make a holder for it and tied it off with a camo shoe lace. I wear that and a grunt tube.

By "our" type of hunting, I meant in the overgrown woods of New England where sub-100 yard shots are most common.

I like your "slam dunk" terminology and your 20 minute rule on stalking a bleeding deer.

well today was productive. I got to put my tree stand onto a tree and "climb" up. I didn't climb very high past about 5 ft off the ground because of 2 things
1) I didn't put the harness on right

2) was just a test run, more tests(with pictures) next weekend probably

Also, I placed camera's on his property. He has 6 acres that abuts on conservation land...yippee!

As was said before...It is crucial to know what you are doing or want to do ahead of time and do it. I was still hunting years ago and a ten pointer walked not thirty yards in front of me. It couldn't of been more perfect. Wind right in my face. It was snowing lightly with a couple inches already down. The thing was in full rut. Head down, obviously only concerned with that doe he was after. Walked just past. I kneeled, whistled to stop him and he froze. I had that red dot all over the hit zone and I fired right over his back. The only time I had ever seen a deer that big was when I had seen the same one while walking my bird dogs that Sept. He stood up from the swamp with full moss hanging off that enormous rack. I almost shit myself twice. I've never seen one like that since. I stopped hunting deer for a few years after that sad day. Buck fever I suppose. Don't let it get ya[grin]. I'll be out pushin em for everyone again this season.lol The moral of the story is be prepared. I never thought I'd see him with my gun in hand and the situation ate me up. It still pisses me off to this day to miss a trophy like that.

Seeing more deer

I've been using www.huntingfootage.com as a way to learn more about deer behavior, what others are wearing, and how they bowhunt. Tons of video clips.

Noticing: In high treestands they don't bother with facemasks; deer seem to swish there tail before putting head down (not the other way around); many ground blinds used (but often over feeders not allowed in MA); it takes a loud grunt to stop a moving deer.

I enjoy seeing the excitement of young hunters.

Have you looked at an aerial map to see where they might be bedding? Then you'll have 2 known points to set up in between.

Good luck!

Does IFG allow non-members to use the archery targets?

No the opposite: thick cover, perhaps a swampy area with a nice little protected island in it. Deer use cover to get where they are going too, so tree rows between fields might be their highways.

Being a newbie I'm trying to understand them. If I hear of a deer sighting I view the area and see why they might be there (food, cover, travelway, or water (not likely around here where it is everywhere)). If you see a "Deer Crossing" sign along the highway, look around and see what's there.

You must take Linebrook Rd to IFG? At Marini Farm I've seen multiple deer cross at the signs because the trees between the field meet closest to the road there.

Deer love swamps. I can't figure that out; I guess it's for security. I have a theory they crap before entering them to. Frequently you hear about them lying up on level surfaces along hillsides, and crossing hills at saddles.

I think I have bad eyes, but they do call them the "Ghosts of the Forests" too. LOL

Just keep enjoying the "doing" on the way to getting there!

actually the camera was placed facing directly into a swamp the first time...no luck. i placed it facing a different area, but i'll move it back there, and maybe place a few more...

also: should I be "descenting" before placing the camera? I've just been spraying myself with bugspray, and going in there...but that might be why I am having problems.

You must take Linebrook Rd to IFG? At Marini Farm I've seen multiple deer cross at the signs because the trees between the field meet closest to the road there.

Deer love swamps. I can't figure that out; I guess it's for security. I have a theory they crap before entering them to. Frequently you hear about them lying up on level surfaces along hillsides, and crossing hills at saddles.

TONS of deer at Marinis, across the street is willowdale state forest which is closed to hunting and has numerous swamps all through it. i see deer every time i go in there. At times i have seen 14 deer on one side and 10 in the other while driving from route one to mile lane

Back
Top Bottom