• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Delayed Virgin

Infinite Jester

Navy Veteran
So after many years of buying firearms, I finally encountered the dreaded "delay further review".

Got the call yesterday that my second gun had arrived at the FFL that I use in Candia,NH. One was already there, but I waited so we could just do one form. As I was filling out paperwork, another guy was there to pick up a Bushmaster. He got delayed. We were both told that if nothing came back by Thursday, to just come in and get our guns.

This whole experience got me thinking. What would prevent this criminal administration from slowing down the whole system, extra judicially? They might not be able to stop the record sales of firearms, but working behind the scenes to slow it down might have impact on impulse gun buying.

So after many years of buying firearms, I finally encountered the dreaded "delay further review".

Got the call yesterday that my second gun had arrived at the FFL that I use in Candia,NH. One was already there, but I waited so we could just do one form. As I was filling out paperwork, another guy was there to pick up a Bushmaster. He got delayed. We were both told that if nothing came back by Thursday, to just come in and get our guns.

This whole experience got me thinking. What would prevent this criminal administration from slowing down the whole system, extra judicially? They might not be able to stop the record sales of firearms, but working behind the scenes to slow it down might have impact on impulse gun buying.
Not to burst your bubble but how would it slow down overall sales if yoh can get your gun anyway just after a few days?

its your name.

ETA: I get delayed all the time (common name). No, I haven't applied for the UPIN. There is NO guarantee that getting the UPIN will expedite/remove the delay in future transactions.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the record number of gun sales were unexpected and overwhelming the system? I mean we are talking about the government here. Even Walmart is smart enough to predict on run on the store and have more employees, the government would be standing around clueless.

Not to burst your bubble but how would it slow down overall sales if yoh can get your gun anyway just after a few days?

Because most shops will not give you the gun after the wait period is up. Most will make you wait for approval, thus it does slow down sales.

Not in my situation, as I've already paid for and shipped the gun. I was thinking of a situation where someone might be on the fence, looking around the LGS, maybe new to firearms. They get delayed, walk out, and maybe the spell is broken, so to speak.

With your name, Infinite Jester, I'm surprised that you haven't been delayed in the past. You might want to check the no-fly list too.

Because most shops will not give you the gun after the wait period is up. Most will make you wait for approval, thus it does slow down sales.
Was not aware of that. Thought they would sell it to you after the delay was up

Was not aware of that. Thought they would sell it to you after the delay was up

A good shop will. The law says that a delay turns into a proceed automatically after three days. If a shop won't give it to you after three days, they suck.

Some shops will also ring up the sale prior to making the call, so if you get delayed, you can't back out.

I used to get delayed about 50% of the time. I did not get a UPIN, but I never got delayed again since getting my C&R. I have no idea if that is just a coincidence, but I was delayed about 5 out of 10 times prior, and 0 out of 10 since (roughly).

The only time I got a delay is when the request was put through without a SSN (according to the dealer I was buying from). Curiously, it was the time I bought my Seecamp, which is not usually known as the gun for committing violent crimes with.

A lot of places that have been burned in the past won't proceed after 3 days of no-news. Some smaller shops will but I doubt places like KTP, Cabela's, Shooters etc. would proceed.

Had to wait about 20 mins buying my Hi Point 9 today. I don't have a common last name at all, but upon a google search, apparently there is another guy with my name in CT who is also a bigtime gun nut whose had his picture take at NRA rally's. lololol.

Hope the bastard just didn't steal my identity. <tinfoil>

I have noticed a considerable uptake in delay's recently, folks who have bought from me for years without hassle and now they're getting delayed. I'm also hearing back from the FBI with less regularity and transfer the firearms legally without hearing either way. In any case, whether it is malicious or staffing issues, it is definitely occurring with more frequency...

I was told they would give it to me after the 3 days, so I'm not really that concerned. What kind of got me thinking was the clerk's comment that delays had been happening more frequently, in his opinion.

How does this happen in the great free state of New Hampshire

I guess it could happen anywhere. My wife has bought a few since we moved up here, and was never delayed. Maybe it was the rifle/handgun combo I was picking up. Meh. Last night I ordered a Hi Point 995TS. I'm sure 3 gun purchases in a month probably sends up some sort of red flag in their system, but it's Christmas time. A time of giving. Guns. To myself. [laugh]

A good shop will. The law says that a delay turns into a proceed automatically after three days. If a shop won't give it to you after three days, they suck.

Some shops will also ring up the sale prior to making the call, so if you get delayed, you can't back out.

I used to get delayed about 50% of the time. I did not get a UPIN, but I never got delayed again since getting my C&R. I have no idea if that is just a coincidence, but I was delayed about 5 out of 10 times prior, and 0 out of 10 since (roughly).

Well, Dick's Sporting definitely sucks. They treat a delay like a deny.

How does this happen in the great free state of New Hampshire

Becuase it's fed .gov, not state .gov that issues the dealy

This whole experience got me thinking. What would prevent this criminal administration from slowing down the whole system, extra judicially?

Nothing. If there is one thing that you should have learned about Obama by now, it is that he manages by executive fiat. Aside from the potential outrage that might occur if it became public, I don't know what would stop someone from giving the order to delay all NICS checks. I don't claim to be an expert, though.

Nothing. If there is one thing that you should have learned about Obama by now, it is that he manages by executive fiat. Aside from the potential outrage that might occur if it became public, I don't know what would stop someone from giving the order to delay all NICS checks. I don't claim to be an expert, though.

I get the impression that it would go down similarly to the IRS situation. No heads would roll, and eventually it would quiet down.

Even Walmart is smart enough to predict on run on the store and have more employees,

That isn't true at all. I'm the sporting goods dept manager at a walmart in the deep south. Where we actually sell guns. I have sold over 40 this month alone. There is only one terminal to do the 4473s on and only one gun sale at a time. All sales are finalized by salaried management who then walk you out of the store before handing it to you. It doesn't matter if you have one person on or 10. The number of employees in the dept. has zero effect on the speed of gun sales. I had 4 back to back yesterday. It just meant I didn't leave the counter for 1.5 hrs. Walmart is crazy about payroll. If you stay 10 min late today you have to take an extra 10 min on your lunch tomorrow. They have an "absolutely no overtime" policy. I have been forced to write people up for having as little as 5 min of overtime. They are absolutely not putting more people on the clock or hiring more people to deal with any potential run on guns. Hell they make practically nothing off gun sales. The profit margin is way to low. On average they make $30-60 off a gun sale.

They actually lose money on some of the sales. I bought the last AR15 my store will ever sell. After they decided to stop selling them they marked them down. I looked up the numbers on the AR when I bought it. Originally listed for $907. I paid $400. They company LOST $234 on that sale! ARs were the only guns that had a decent margin. I love being the one who does the markdowns. No one knows about a price drop, or the arrival of 22lr, before me. I'm making out like a bandit. I don't buy anything at full price. Walmart PAYS for a portion of everything I buy.

Correct. The 3-day default-proceed was put into the law specifically because of the risk a future administration might simply delay some or even all responses indefinitely. So if this administration decides to "go there" the most damage they can do is to impose a defacto 3-day waiting period.

I would not be surprised if they are or plan to be playing that card; it's that reason their recent calls to remove the default-proceed from the law, combined with past calls to require NICS for all private sales, should be seen as an effort to shut down almost all gun sales.

There's been a big push in recent years to get more disqualifying information reported to NCIS, especially regarding mental health, so I'd expect the number of false positives to go up as well.

Back
Top Bottom