Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
And revolvers are safer than any other firearm?

I'd say the more accurate statement is

"Glocks are no less safe than any other pistol once you have your finger on the trigger"

I have a cut-away glock that would be great to show people how the internal safety parts work.

I have a glock here with a trigger that does not reset to the "safe" position.

Not that I have ever considered their design a true safety, but until I find out what is wrong with this gun it is relegated to safe queen status.

I do not believe the design is idiot proof.

Of equal important are the internal safeties such as the firing pin interlock that preclude the possibility of a discharge if a Glock is dropped.

The "trigger mounted safety" is actually present to assure that it will be absolutely impossible for inertia to move the trigger if the gun is dropped.

Of equal important are the internal safeties such as the firing pin interlock that preclude the possibility of a discharge if a Glock is dropped.

The "trigger mounted safety" is actually present to assure that it will be absolutely impossible for inertia to move the trigger if the gun is dropped.

I have a glock here with a trigger that does not reset to the "safe" position.

Does it reset to safe when you are firing it? If you rack the slide while pulling the trigger back, and then release the trigger, will it reset to the forward position? If so, chances are your Glock has the coiled trigger return spring (the default configuration) and that spring has broken (a not uncommon failure).

And revolvers are safer than any other firearm?

I'd say the more accurate statement is

"Glocks are no less safe than any other pistol once you have your finger on the trigger"

Fair, but my point was a lot of people believe this and that is who the video is for, not Glock owners who carry.

Glock gets a bad rap and is probably safer than most pistols.

I think the only reason Glocks "get a bad rap" is that they're one of the few manufacturers that people recognize and the media reference. Subsequently, people associate them with accidents more often. I don't think there's really any question (at least among people who actually know something about guns) as to how "safe" they are.

Most modern firearms are designed to fire iff you press the trigger.

just saw this on another site:

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/new...y-fatally-shoots-himself-outside-giant-store/

A Spotsylvania County man died Sunday following a bizarre accident in which he shot him outside a county Giant store, police said.
The 45-year-old man, whose name had not been released as of Monday morning, was at the store in Harrison Crossing with his wife and children shortly before 5 p.m. He had parked in the fire lane to allow his wife to return a DVD to a box outside the store.
Sheriff’s Capt. Liz Scott said the victim was in the driver’s seat of a minivan when he apparently went to unbuckle his seat belt and hit the trigger of a Glock 40-caliber handgun. A bullet was fired into the victim’s hip. He looked at his wife, who had already returned to the van, and said, “I just shot myself.”...............................

You did a good video but I just can't accept the premise that a Glock is as safe as any other gun.

You did a good video but I just can't accept the premise that a Glock is as safe as any other gun.

So you're going to blame the gun because someone pulls a Plaxico on themselves? Is it Glock's fault that people are stupid? [rofl]

Maybe it's me but that story is a terrible example to try to determine intrinsic safety. That's like saying a car is unsafe because someone drove it off a cliff and the driver didn't survive the impact. [laugh]

-Mike

What I'm saying is that my 1911 wouldn't go off like that, nor would any of my 3rd gen S&W's nor any of my revolvers, nor my Browning, nor any of the other handguns I own...I own no Glocks.

That indicates to me that the Glock is not as safe as most any other gun.

You can be stupid with a Glock and get shot. You can be stupid with anything other than a Glock and probably not get shot.

I'll never convince a Glockaholic of this though. Just stating my opinion.

And some people wonder why our moonbat government in this state thinks, that Glocks are not safe ('only Police should have them') - when even some people here - who should know better - think the same way.

I'm not saying 1911 users or other types of guns don't have ND's, but they have to take off the safety, and/or squeeze the grip before they pull the trigger, unlike a Glock where there is no safety (argue away about this if you want).

Look at the sheer number of Glock ND's and ask yourself if they would have been ND's if it was another type of gun.

Don't anyone say that the safety is between the ears. Focus on the equipment, not the dumb operator.

I told you I can't convince Glock owners of this but Logic is logic and facts is facts.

I'd like to hear unbiased opinions from non Glock owners on this, not just Glock owners trying to justify their purchases.

I'm not saying 1911 users or other types of guns don't have ND's, but they have to take off the safety, and/or squeeze the grip before they pull the trigger, unlike a Glock where there is no safety (argue away about this if you want).

Look at the sheer number of Glock ND's and ask yourself if they would have been ND's if it was another type of gun.

Don't anyone say that the safety is between the ears. Focus on the equipment, not the dumb operator.

I told you I can't convince Glock owners of this but Logic is logic and facts is facts.

I'd like to hear unbiased opinions from non Glock owners on this, not just Glock owners trying to justify their purchases.

On your own terms, consider this: Take a 1911 and a Glock. Load both by inserting a full mag and racking the slide. Right then and there, which is the "safer" gun? To get that 1911 to even come close to the safety of the Glock you have to do something -- engage the safety. See how the user gets into the problem so quickly? You can't ignore that, even to make a simple point. The safety is in the shooter, always.

Look at the sheer number of Glock ND's..

Look at the market share - with 65-70% of all Law Enforcement pistols in the US being from Glock, of course the number of NDs is higher as for the 1911 with a market share of maybe a few percent.

The other factor is - many people who switched to Glock in the past 10-20 years grew up with a pistol that had a safety...

It's never the gun's fault if the operator fails to get proficient with the gun.

I have never seen a Glock that goes bang without someone pulling the trigger!

As to the gov't posting:

you should be able to buy whatever gun you want to buy, even if it's not as safe as others.

Driving over a cliff:

The Glock is like sitting at the edge of the cliff waiting for the driver to drive over whereas other guns are like someone down the block having to take a turn on the road to get to the cliff before driving over. There's a difference.

I have no problem with anyone having Glocks, if you want one you should be able to have one, just don't keep saying that they are as safe as other types of gun, they're not.

I don't consider the trigger interlock on a glock a "safety", I never have. When I got my first Glock way back when, I never carried it with one in the chamber because I didn't trust the trigger interlock. It wasn't until I invested in a good holster with retention that I started carrying it chambered.

After finding the problem with one of my G22's, I am convinced even more that it is a false sense of security to rely on the trigger interlock as a safety.

I have never relied on a safety on any gun I have owned. I think a good holster that protects the trigger, and proper trigger discipline are the only way to protect yourself from a ND.

It was only by accident I found that my trigger was not resetting all the way forward after a take up on the trigger rearward and releasing it before the weapon fired. The chances of anyone duplicating that in actual use are slim. I don't think there are may reasons to make the trigger travel back and not fire the weapon and then put the weapon back in the holster, but if for some reason I had done that with this particular gun, and the trigger had contacted another object when re holstering it, it would not have taken much force to make the gun discharge.

Look at the market share - with 65-70% of all Law Enforcement pistols in the US being from Glock, of course the number of NDs is higher as for the 1911 with a market share of maybe a few percent.

I don't have numbers to back it up but I'd bet that the ratio of ND's of Glocks related to the number of Glocks is considerably higher than the same ratio of 1911's, and goes off the chart when comparing it to revolvers.

Also restrict the counting of the percentage of ND's in Glocks to non LEO as you would with a 1911 and you'll see more ND's with Glocks.

Again I repeat I don't have the numbers but I think it's a pretty safe bet.

I don't have numbers to back it up but I'd bet that the ratio of ND's of Glocks related to the number of Glocks is considerably higher than the same ratio of 1911's, and goes off the chart when comparing it to revolvers.

I'd hypothesize that the characteristics of 1911 owners, compared with Glock owners, are different enough to render that higher ND ratio meaningless for judging the inherent dangerousness of the Glock. Watch some youtube Glock videos to get a sense of the owner characteristics I'm talking about.

I love Glocks and think they're perfectly safe.

As to the gov't posting:

you should be able to buy whatever gun you want to buy, even if it's not as safe as others.

Driving over a cliff:

The Glock is like sitting at the edge of the cliff waiting for the driver to drive over whereas other guns are like someone down the block having to take a turn on the road to get to the cliff before driving over. There's a difference.

I have no problem with anyone having Glocks, if you want one you should be able to have one, just don't keep saying that they are as safe as other types of gun, they're not.

And I disagree with you. I have carried a Glock for 15 years and it is as safe a gun to carry as any. Just don't carry it without a holster, which was the case in the GA discharge. He had an unholstered loaded pistol in his pocket. It could have been any pistol. The trigger got pulled it went BANG

So are Sigs unsafe because they have no external safeties? Or does the long heavy double action trigger pull make them safe? Is a Glock safer if it has a 10-pound trigger? And does any of this matter if the shooter isn't an idiot?

What I'm saying is that my 1911 wouldn't go off like that, nor would any of my 3rd gen S&W's nor any of my revolvers, nor my Browning, nor any of the other handguns I own...I own no Glocks.

You can be stupid with a Glock and get shot. You can be stupid with anything other than a Glock and probably not get shot....

So your revolvers don't go off when you pull the trigger?

As for your other statement, does the fact that you're not getting shot right now prove your point?

[/sarc]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom