Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to derail this, but Ive been looking online at cut away's and diagrams of Glock internals, but I don't understand how the drop safety works on one of them. (Maybe its because I'm not holding one looking at it). Anyone here have a simple explanation? Out of curiosity, does the M&P have some equivalent?

The "drop safety" is the geometry of the channel in which the cruciform sear plate rides, which is designed to prevent the sear plate from disengaging from the tab on the striker unless the sear plate is in the forward position.

As to "1911 being safer" - I am familiar with some of the testing done by one of the big name 1911 manufacturers. 1911s without the series 80 firing pin block, or Schwarz style grip activated safety, can and will go off if dropped onto concrete from a distance of only a foot or two, assuming they land on the muzzle. Techniques such as lightweight firing pins and heavy firing pin springs can work around this, but an unrestrained inertial firing pin does not match the drop safety of a system with a positive interlock.

Grip safety argument is null and void with the glock copy Springfield XD, its striker fired and its got a glock trigger and a 1911 grip safety.. onto next talking points.

There is obviously no room for error when it comes to trigger discipline with glocks, the same goes for reholstering. For this reason, I don't think glocks are for everyone. Some new shooters really struggle with keeping their finger off the trigger and with a glock it's only a matter of time before these people have an AD/ND.

With that said, I've carried glocks for almost 10 years now. I love them, the last thing I want is a safety to fumble with or a 10lbs tirgger pull to deal in the event I need to use my pistol under pressure.

On any gun without an external safety the holster is a necessary part of the equation. A Glock or any other DA gun without an external safety MUST be carried in a holster that fully encloses the trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The "drop safety" is the geometry of the channel in which the cruciform sear plate rides, which is designed to prevent the sear plate from disengaging from the tab on the striker unless the sear plate is in the forward position.

Thank you, that makes the pictures I was looking at make significantly more sense.

Working from memory, the M&P does not have anything similar...

I know the innards of a Glock.

Others are impossible to fire even if you do pull the trigger.

Which is safer?

The safest thing would not be carry a round in the chamber. However, if you need to use your weapon in a pinch, chambering a round is going to cost time and might be difficult to do under stress. For me the same goes for manual safties - they may make the weapon a little safer, but I don't want to mess with them in a firefight. Likewise, a 10lbs trigger may also make the weapon safer, but accuracy will suffer.

It's a trade off - but for people who can keep their fingers off the trigger, it's a tradeoff we are very willing to make for a pistol that is ready to go (without fumbling for a safety) and has a reasonable trigger pull. For those that have wandering fingers or who like low quality holsters, glocks are not the best choice.

I know the innards of a Glock.

Others are impossible to fire even if you do pull the trigger.

Which is safer?

So its PERFECTLY SAFE to pull the trigger on a loaded 1911? It won't go off? Safeties never fail?

If you don't want your gun to go off, don't pull the ****ing trigger. Safeties as with all things mechanical, can and do fail, and should never be depended on.

There is obviously no room for error when it comes to trigger discipline with glocks, the same goes for reholstering.

I don't agree. I was creating lots of error in my video and the trigger never broke. I was being quite aggressive with that trigger. That was sort of my point in the video, their is room for casual error. Not that anyone should ever do this on purpose. Stay off the trigger obviously.

Clothing; yes you must be very careful.

I don't agree. I was creating lots of error in my video and the trigger never broke. I was being quite aggressive with that trigger. That was sort of my point in the video, their is room for casual error. Not that anyone should ever do this on purpose. Stay off the trigger obviously.

Clothing; yes you must be very careful.

Agreed, thing does not off if there is a stiff wind, but if you pull it around 5lbs it will.....

Thank you, that makes the pictures I was looking at make significantly more sense.

Working from memory, the M&P does not have anything similar...

The m&p has a plunger that blocks the firing pin. There's a tab on the trigger bar that pushes it out of the way when the trigger is pressed.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

The m&p has a plunger that blocks the firing pin. There's a tab on the trigger bar that pushes it out of the way when the trigger is pressed.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I accounted for the firing pin block. Whats being talked about is a separate and distinct "safety". (See bold below)

Do some research on the Glock "Safe Action System".

The Trigger Safety, Firing Pin Safety, and Drop Safety all work together.

If you saw a cut away model or animation - you would realize that the Glock is the safest gun in the world. It is impossible to fire it without pulling the trigger.

It appears to be part of the trigger bar that is prevented from moving unless the trigger is pressed, and that part of the trigger bar is moved rearward past the part of the sear block (?) that is below it.
image004.jpg

I don't believe the M&P has a similar setup, relying instead on the firing pin block to prevent the firing pin from moving. I'll have to tear down my M&P and take a closer look at that area when I get home, because I'm curious now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom