Desert Eagle Megathread…

I guess I'm late to the party again. I consistently prefer revolvers to semi-autos in centerfire calibers for slow fire target shooting. I like 1911's in 45ACP best among semi-autos for that purpose, not as much as a revolver, but I've still never shelled out the money to buy any 1911--always something I'd rather buy instead. I can't see wanting a DE for defensive use, so I have no trouble talking myself out of one. Probably none of that helps if a DE is your second kind of cool.
I thought a DE would go well with my Dan Wesson 44. But the reliability issues and needing to keep it clean and changing recoil springs constantly, has me second guessing.

I used to own one.

I bought it because I was interested in having a .50AE pistol, and because the design intrigued me. The price was great, too.

It came with a .44 setup, which I wasn't that interested in. On a lark, I bought some .44 and brought that out to the range for fun.

Wouldn't you know it? That pistol is really well suited for .44. I feel like it's a novelty in .50, but in .44 I really could see situations where it would be legitimately useful. Not many, mind you, but some. Probably a revolver would suit you better, but I can understand the want for a DE and I approve of it in .44 mag.
I've got the DW 44 mag hand cannon and thought a DE would be a good companion?.... [laugh]

any color preference? And what price range do you consider ok?
I'd like stainless or chrome. No black or cerakote. If the price was right, I'd probably get a gold/gold tiger stripe model lol.
I'm really hoping I can get one for like $1600 max but given the panic now, they might be selling for well over $2k....we shall see.

Haha, someone just bumped a gold tiger stripe at the absolute wrongest price.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.59.22 PM.png

In these hard times I bet you can post a WTB and find someone willing to make a deal for quick cash.

The .44 mag DE's aren't as reliable as the 50AE versions. Rimmed cartridges in magazine fed handguns come with some challenges. If you want a fun way to get rid of .44 mag ammo buy a 629 and keep the wooden grips on it and play "shot for shot" instead of punch for punch with ur buddies lol

I wasn’t limp wristing it, if anything I was gripping a little more firmly expecting more recoil. I will say it was the strangest feeling action on any handgun I have ever shot, hard to explain. Was a used gun the guy just bought, first time he shot it, for all I know there was a problem w the gun. Never shot one before or since, but that experience did nothing for me. I would certainly hope that given the price, they’re more reliable than I experienced.

I haven't read all of the posts here, but limp-wristing was probably NOT the problem. The Deagle is a GAS operated pistol and the gas tube is integral to the barrel and not accessible for regular cleaning. This is why it is imperative that you only use bullets with sold bases. (No exposed lead) It will clog the gas port and lead to failures.

I have a Mark VII .357 model that unfortunately had a failure of the gas-plug retainer in the slide. The old style barrel/slide assemblies are just about unobtanium at this point. I have contacted Magnum Research and had to bite the bullet on a new complete upper. It was either that or have a big heavy super expensive chunk of metal in my safe that I could never use again.

Unfortunately like every other firearms related business, MR are going all out on production and I won't get my parts for a couple of months. It will be worth it. It is just one of those guns like the 500 W&W Mag, it just puts a smile on the face of anyone who fires it!

Go for it Andrew.

I say go for it. Everybody needs to have a friend that has one. With what you already have for a neat gun array, why not be that friend? That and the fact I know you'll actually shoot it. I'd stick with .44 mag. I think .460S&W and 500 S&W both have more to offer than 50AE.
That all being said. Always looking for a friend that has a DE to shoot their gun. Though I feel like you have bad juju and I'd be risking my life shooting your gun. ;)
Everybody is talking about tiger stripe gold and case hardened. You need the pimp gat if there ever was a chance.
View attachment 426398
White with tiger stripes could come out as pushing it. Like you are trying too hard to be a pimp/gangster.

Gold says "I am the real deal. Don't f*ck with me and those b*tches belong to me".

And there happens to be one on sale in the NES classifieds (I am not affiliated to the seller).

Andrew is more of a Primer gangster. So maybe this is better. Case hardened:

Screenshot_20201223-070151_Chrome.jpg
Beautiful.

White with tiger stripes could come out as pushing it. Like you are trying too hard to be a pimp/gangster.

Gold says "I am the real deal. Don't f*ck with me and those b*tches belong to me".

And there happens to be one on sale in the NES classifieds (I am not affiliated to the seller).

Andrew is more of a Primer gangster. So maybe this is better. Case hardened:

View attachment 426959
Beautiful.
Primer Gangsta... [rofl]

I haven't read all of the posts here, but limp-wristing was probably NOT the problem. The Deagle is a GAS operated pistol and the gas tube is integral to the barrel and not accessible for regular cleaning. This is why it is imperative that you only use bullets with sold bases. (No exposed lead) It will clog the gas port and lead to failures.

I have a Mark VII .357 model that unfortunately had a failure of the gas-plug retainer in the slide. The old style barrel/slide assemblies are just about unobtanium at this point. I have contacted Magnum Research and had to bite the bullet on a new complete upper. It was either that or have a big heavy super expensive chunk of metal in my safe that I could never use again.

Unfortunately like every other firearms related business, MR are going all out on production and I won't get my parts for a couple of months. It will be worth it. It is just one of those guns like the 500 W&W Mag, it just puts a smile on the face of anyone who fires it!

Go for it Andrew.

Yeah, it’s definitely a more involved action that typical handguns. We were using fiocchi .44mag that had some exposed lead, plus it was used so God knows what the maintenance on it was. It definitely felt like the ammo was underpowered in terms of cycling it. IMO it’s a specialty/fun gun that’s good for large calibers, anything less than .44mag seems a little pointless to me.

My friend got rid of it, I could tell he was underwhelmed when we shot it (was his first time w it, had never shot one before). I think it’s definitely a gun you want to shoot before buying it at that price point.

Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag and help my wallet[laugh]

I've literally never held or shot one but I've got a ton of 44 mag ammo (since I reload) and I thought it would be a nice addition to my DW revolver and Henry lever gun?? I just feel like I would enjoy shooting it but maybe I'm wrong?

So are the certain models/versions to look for? Are the older IMI/IWI (made in Israel) desert eagles better than the Magnum Research (made in USA)?? How do the triggers/reliability compare among the different versions? I'm hearing that the older models had consistent 2 stage triggers that were nice?

I suspect I won't even find one (especially at a price I like) so this whole discussion might be moot[laugh]

I will only buy one in brushed or polished chrome or SS. I have no interest in the black/nitride finishes. I wouldn't be opposed to the titanium gold if the price was right[laugh]

Who needs an impractical massive semi-auto hand cannon ? I did.

My DE44 in brushed chrome :

Not going to lie, DE44's can be finicky with ammo, so if you do end up buying one, PM me and i'll feed you all iv'e learned over the years about how to get them to run well. I chose the 44 over the .50AE as I already owned a 460XVR S&W mag , and the fact 50AE ammo is very expensive, and even handloading .50AE is pricey, so I just went with the 44 and zero regrets.

Last edited:
Who needs a massive semi-auto hand cannon that puts a HUGE grin on your face ? I did.

My DE44 in brushed chrome. Not going to lie, DE44's can be finicky with ammo.

Who needs an impractical massive semi-auto hand cannon ? I did.

My DE44 in brushed chrome :

Not going to lie, DE44's can be finicky with ammo, so if you do end up buying one, PM me and i'll feed you all iv'e learned over the years about how to get them to run well. I chose the 44 over the .50AE as I already owned a 460XVR S&W mag , and the fact 50AE ammo is very expensive, and even handloading .50AE is pricey, so I just went with the 44 and zero regrets.
That’s the exact one I want! If I can ever find one I’ll definitely message you. Appreciate that

A lever action 44 mag weighs less and is easier to carry. Maybe they don't actually weigh less but they feel like it. Get a DE if you want it, but they are just toys, if it is the toy for you go for it.

To put the .44 /.50 opinionated conversation to bed, i've shot both side by side and honestly the .50 did not produce much more punch than the 44, but ballistically the .50 carrys more energy downrange . The .50 DOES carry a hefty increased price tag to shoot. Make no mistake you commit to a DE you better be prepared to watch the bills fly out of your wallet. I handload .44 and still it's a pretty steep cost to keep her fed. It's about impossible to find inexpensive FMJ bullets, and if your thinking you can cheap out and load cast bullets, DON'T . Shooting cast lead through a DE you run a high risk of clogging the gas transfer ports inside the barrel and if that happens now you have a $1500+ dollar semi-auto single shot handgun and the clogged barrel can NOT be repaired.

To put the .44 /.50 opinionated conversation to bed, i've shot both side by side and honestly the .50 did not produce much more punch than the 44, but ballistically the .50 carrys more energy downrange . The .50 DOES carry a hefty increased price tag to shoot. Make no mistake you commit to a DE you better be prepared to watch the bills fly out of your wallet. I handload .44 and still it's a pretty steep cost to keep her fed. It's about impossible to find inexpensive FMJ bullets, and if your thinking you can cheap out and load cast bullets, DON'T . Shooting cast lead through a DE you run a high risk of clogging the gas transfer ports inside the barrel and if that happens now you have a $1500+ dollar semi-auto single shot handgun and the clogged barrel can NOT be repaired.
Yeah I stocked up on Zero 240 gr JSPs at 13 cents each and then got a ton of Speer bullets last winter at like 9 cents each. My reloads cost me like $10-$11 per 50 lol. Meanwhile 9mm is $30 per box...😬
That’s crazy that if you clog it up then you’re f***ed. That would suck.

... if your thinking you can cheap out and load cast bullets, DON'T . Shooting cast lead through a DE you run a high risk of clogging the gas transfer ports inside the barrel and if that happens now you have a $1500+ dollar semi-auto single shot handgun and the clogged barrel can NOT be repaired.
The barrel is made out of a substance with a melting point higher than lead's, right?
I'd loan it to @Michael J. Spangler and tell him he could keep all the lead that
he managed to harvest from the clogged ports.

The barrel is made out of a substance with a melting point higher than lead's, right?
I'd loan it to @Michael J. Spangler and tell him he could keep all the lead that
he managed to harvest from the clogged ports.
Yeah I would’t worry about that. ARs are run all the time with cast and no issues. Same for comped race guns.
if you do it right you will be fine. Just don’t plan on grabbing some shitty off the shelf cast ammo that was not tailored for your gun, but tailored to be the cheapest load that a manufacturer can make.

Back
Top Bottom