desiccant for ammo cans

Just wondering if anyone has tried speedy dry( perlite) as a desiccant for ammo cans. I have a bag at home and didn’t want to buy silica gel if I don’t have to. Thanks

I used to use dririte that I kept in perforated Altoids tins. Seemed to work fine, and you can bake it in the oven to reuse it . I eventually got tired of all the ammo cans and got a storage cabinet for my ammo, and now just use golden rods.

You can also buy can liners made out of that anticorrosion stuff. I think ZCORR makes the ones I used. Not the cheapest option but they work.

Never used it and never had any corrosion issues. I think it's a waste of time if your ammo cans seal correctly. If they don't seal correctly, you're just attracting moisture into the can.

I've never seen any small arms ammo packaged in ammo cans for the military with a desiccant in them.

In a properly sealed container the only moisture is what was in the air when you sealed it. If the relative humidity is less than 50% you won't get corrosion.
Pack the container on dry condition and you should be fine.

If you don't have sealed containers then keep everything in a dehumidified room (<=50% RH) or plan on rotating out dessicant packs.

Back
Top Bottom