Did Federal change the load on their bulk pack .22LR (and did I screw myself over)?

I just got my new ammo cans, so I figured it would be a good time to do an inventory, then pack my ammo away in my new cans. I have a couple dozen boxes of the Federal Value Packs of .22LR from Walmart, and some of the boxes are beginning to fall apart. So, brilliant idea, I figure I'd just dump the ammo into the cans.

The trick is, the Value Packs are packaged in two different boxes. The older boxes are gold, the new boxes are red. I look carefully at each both - both say Federal Value Pack, .22LR High Velocity, 36 grain copper plated hollow point, etc, etc. So after an inspection, I decide that Federal simply changed the packaging, and the product remains the same. So into the first ammo can goes 5500 rounds - 8 red boxes and 2 gold boxes. It was as I was breaking up those first 10 boxes I saw the ballistic information on the side.

Red boxes: muzzle velocity, 1260 FPS, 5.6" drop @ 100 yards
Gold boxes: muzzle velocity 1280 FPS, 3.4" drop @ 100 yards

So did I just screw myself over? If I'm shooting at 25 yards, are 1/5 my shots going to wind up 1/2 inch higher than the rest???

-TD

The drop vs. range curve is not linear. For a .22 LR, ballistic delta equating to 0.5 inches at 100 yards would be negligible at 25 yards.

Back
Top Bottom