Did I pay too much?

I just had a weaver scope mount drilled and tapped to a .22 pistol...paid 107.00 mount included. Two screws or maybe one big screwed!

Guns smithing is all about time. If it took him an hour or so, thats what it should of cost. You didn't over pay in my opinion. He needs to add a percentage so when a job doesn't go so well, and he needs to fix it, he will stay afloat.

It's not about 2 screws. If it was, you would of done it.

---Mike

You should check the Brownells Shop Price Survey. I agree that it is all about the set up time, but it seems a little expensive to me. In the survey they have listed a bunch of stuff, but the Minimum Charge per Gun category lists a range of between $35 - $70 with mounting sights a little less than that at around $35 - $50.

FWIW my biggest complaint with gunsmiths is not the price, but getting it done right and done when they tell me it's going to be done. Beyond that it's not worth it to me to worry if they made an extra $25 - $100.

B

EDIT: I didn't read it closely enough to see where you had the mount included. In that case it's a pretty good price.

I always ask for an estimate before having work done. If I think the price is too high I'll ask for a break down of the price.

I think it cost me about $30 to install night sights on my sig... of course he had just bought the sig sight pusher....and wanted to try it out.... He did an ok job and I can't complain.

The work is already done and you've paid. Sounds like you have some buyers, or should I say service remorce. If it was done right and it does what it's supposed to, I wouldn't say you got ripped off.

I am in the service business, well, I teach students going into the service business. One of the best things I can hear when people talk about my work is; "He's expensive, but the job was perfect, and worth every penny." If you are satisfied with the work, be satisfied with the price. It sounds fair to me.

Chris

drilled and tapped to a .22 pistol...paid 107.00 mount included
Sounds like a decent price for "failure is not an option" work done right, plus the mount, yes.

One of the best things I can hear when people talk about my work is; "He's expensive, but the job was perfect, and worth every penny."

Yup. I've used an appliance repair company three times. They were pretty expensive. But I got an appointment within a day or two of calling, they gave me a 1 hour window for when they would arrive, they arrived on time, they fixed it quickly, they fixed it the first time, and it stayed fixed. He's 3 for 3. I don't care that it cost me $100 for him to find what turned out to be a very minor problem in 5 minutes -- each time the appliance was not working at all and he fixed it.

Next time an appliance breaks, you know who I'm going to call.

I'll gladly pay for good service. What pisses me off is bad service.

Sounds fair enough to me. Not like you can take your Black and Decker hand drill and drill the holes yourself.

And this method is much cheaper than buying a drill press and doing it yourself.

Gunsmiths make investments in their business, and all those tools cost money. For a perfectly aligned drilling/tapping, $100 doesn't seem too bad. Maybe slightly on the high side, but not extortion or anything.

And this method is much cheaper than buying a drill press and doing it yourself.

Gunsmiths make investments in their business, and all those tools cost money. For a perfectly aligned drilling/tapping, $100 doesn't seem too bad. Maybe slightly on the high side, but not extortion or anything.

What I would have said if I could have thought of the right words

Let me answer you by asking a couple questions first:

What kind of pistol?

What Weaver mount was installed?

Where is your gunsmith located?

Right now the "work" or price is not an issue. Getting my slide back is.
When I was leaving the shop I said that I would like it in a week or so if possible. He said nothing. A week later I e-mailed him, no reply. A day later I called him, left a message ( a polite one), no return call. Two days after that I called again and he returned that call. I asked him what was up and he replied that he was running 10-14 days and that if he depended on my order he would close his business. I said since two weeks is on the next Thursday that I hopped he would get it back to me before Friday because I had a shoot Saturday. Nothing nada no call no e-mail! +)*&&*&&**%$#$%^%! I paid him already and paid for next day delivery! His shop is 2 hours away from me.
After all this I have left a message NOT to do any work on my slide and will be coming by to get my dough and slide.
All this would have been avoided if he just told me up front what his lead time was. I would have taken the slide home knowing I had a shoot in a couple of weeks and then after sent it to him.

Yup. I've used an appliance repair company three times. They were pretty expensive. But I got an appointment within a day or two of calling, they gave me a 1 hour window for when they would arrive, they arrived on time, they fixed it quickly, they fixed it the first time, and it stayed fixed. He's 3 for 3. I don't care that it cost me $100 for him to find what turned out to be a very minor problem in 5 minutes -- each time the appliance was not working at all and he fixed it. Next time an appliance breaks, you know who I'm going to call. I'll gladly pay for good service. What pisses me off is bad service.
Very good advice. My hot water tank let go the other night. No warning, no leaks, just let go. Fortunately my wife heard water running. Grin, with my hearing, I heard nothing. Went through volumes of towels to soak up the water after shutting off the water supply. This was about 7 P.M. Called a local 24-7 company. They had someone present by 9:30 P.M., looked over the situation and gave me multiple choices as to how to go. Made a choice and they were back by 9 A.M the next morn to do the job. They installed, took out the old and were done by 11 A.M. More expensive than "do-it-yourself"? You bet. But, it was worth every cent to have it done right....and quickly. Grin, choked my way through spraying the entire laundry room floor with a mix of bleach and water to kill any mold that have started, but all is back to normal. Again, I agree. The pros came in, got the job done, and it was back to normal within a day. The idea holds true for more than a hot-water tank.

Yup. I've used an appliance repair company three times. They were pretty expensive. But I got an appointment within a day or two of calling, they gave me a 1 hour window for when they would arrive, they arrived on time, they fixed it quickly, they fixed it the first time, and it stayed fixed. He's 3 for 3. I don't care that it cost me $100 for him to find what turned out to be a very minor problem in 5 minutes -- each time the appliance was not working at all and he fixed it.

Next time an appliance breaks, you know who I'm going to call.

I'll gladly pay for good service. What pisses me off is bad service.

At $100 a pop, I would consider a new appliance.

An honest gunsmith is also accepting responsibility for any mistakes he makes on your gun as part of what the fee covers. Mis-drill a hole on a received and you're looking at anything ranging from a delicate weld job to buying the customer a new gun.

Yup. I've used an appliance repair company three times. They were pretty expensive. But I got an appointment within a day or two of calling, they gave me a 1 hour window for when they would arrive, they arrived on time, they fixed it quickly, they fixed it the first time, and it stayed fixed.
I see "near Framingham" - I've used "Quick Appliance Service" from Ashland, and they have always given me a same day appointment, not a "day or two" (I guess that's why they named it Quick). If it's something of a less urgent nature you'd like to try yourself, try http://www.repairclinic.com. I have great luck with both the professional and do it yourself approaches.

Yup, and when something like a water heater goes, you not only need the appliance, but the good service that goes with it. I would say that calling a company at night and having all resolved by 11 the next morning...pretty good service. Only my opinion of course. [wink]

3 different appliances were involved. First time it was the stove. $100 to fix it or $500+ for a new one? We spent $100 to fix it 5 years ago. It is still working.

Second time it was our dishwasher that stopped working last year. It is a 3-year-old GE Profile. $100 to fix it or $1000 for a new one? Turned out to be a bad connection. It is working fine.

Third time was our dryer. Turned out to be a bad fuse -- I've never seen a fuse that looked like that and never would have found it. $100 to fix it or $500 for a new one?

I don't know how you came up with your analysis, but in all three cases fixing was far cheaper than replacing the appliance.

I see "near Framingham" - I've used "Quick Appliance Service" from Ashland, and they have always given me a same day appointment, not a "day or two" (I guess that's why they named it Quick). If it's something of a less urgent nature you'd like to try yourself, try http://www.repairclinic.com. I have great luck with both the professional and do it yourself approaches.

I've used Sudbury Appliance.

Back
Top Bottom