Dillon Square Deal

Ok,
As you may remember I own the Lee Pro 1000 press for loading my 45ACP reloads. Other than some simple maintenance, the press is performing adequately, and I am able to get the volume of 45ACP out of the machine with little effort.

I am a lazy bastard! Plain and simple. I would rather shell out some extra money to get a press setup for a caliber than to have to bother with changing out a press for multiple calibers.

That being said, I was looking at getting a new press to load 40S&W. I have been shooting FAR more 40S&W than 45ACP so it would make sense that my new press be able to perform better, and be able to handle the output I would be looking for.

The Dillon presses seem to be where it's at, and the volume stated are better than the ones for Lee. So, I would like to get a Dillon press to load my 40S&W. I would like to stay somewhere in the range of the Square Deal press.

Does anyone have any feedback on this press? Now keep in mind, this press will be dedicated to running 40S&W only.

Thanks for the feedback.
Adam

I don't know much about the square deal. But I didn't think that it was progressive. And I don't have my blue press handy to check it out.

I love the 550B. And once you get the height set on the dies, you never have to set them again. Even to clean them. And, once you get one set set up. You can change calibers in about 10 minutes and be ready to go.

Discounts on Dillon are available thru Grafs & Sons if you have a C&R FFL.

Square Deal with dies = $289.99 (or $245.99 with C&R FFL)

Description from their website:

Product Information

Features automatic indexing, automatic powder measure, and automatic priming system. Comes complete with one caliber conversion including factory adjusted dies. Loads rate: 400-500 rounds/hour. Quickly change calibers with optional conversion kits (sold separately).

Good people, family run business.

I was actually reading that just the other day. Thanks for the link though.

I was just reading through the Dillon page and noticed a couple of things...

the press I have now has a couple of features that I like. First it automatically places the empty cases into the shell plate, it auto indexes to the next station, and it places the bullet into the case mouth. So, when you are ready to start reloading, you fill up your primer tray (as simple as dumping them into a flat tray, tapping it a couple of times to get them all the right side up). You fill your powder hopper (just open the cover and dump it in). You fill your empty cases (dump handfuls of empty cases into the collection funnel and shake lightly) They fall down into these tubes right side up. Fill a tube that contains the bullets. All that takes about 2 minutes. You start pulling the handle and pushing it up and by the time the first round is ejected from the shell plate, every full stroke of the handle (up and down) ejects a fully loaded round out the left side. It is truly a one handed operation once you are going.

Well, it's really a 2 handed operation because you can continue to fill the bullet seater with your left hand every 25th round loaded. The primer tray holds about 200 primers although I find it works better with 100 in it, and it will hold 100 empty cases.

But people just swear by their Dillon presses...

I think I need to get some time on a Dillon press to see how it feels, and see if manual case loading, and manual bullet placing (not something I am unfamiliar with the automatic bullet seater is an option on my press) is as fast as the times they claim...

Anyone out there need someone to come over and load up some ammo for them?

Adam

Well, because I don't have any space, my press is in my buddies place and I just go over there when I need to reload. Problem is his house is in Plymouth... So when I go over there, I just load for like 2 hours.

And if you're used to it, you can load as fast as they say.

I guess that I pop out about 400 rounds in about an hour and half or so. But then I take it slow.

I think that you need to get to the 650 to get auto indexing.

Like I said, with Dillon dies, they're very Roncoish. You just set it and forget it. :D

I'll find out when things are going on out at his house, I'll see if he minds you coming over and we can load up and you can check out my Dillon.

Or if you live closer, then I'll just move my press over to your house and I'll load there. Just kidding.

I bought my Dillon 650 from Ted at Northeast Trading. He has a bunch of 650s and 1050s in the back. They could probably give you a demo, that's what sold me.

I've had a Lee Pro1000 and now have a Dillon 550B. No comparison. The Lee worked, but it just seemed like it was some kids' science fair project. This chain pulls that doohicky that advances this doowapper, and so on and so on. Kind of like that old boardgame "Mousetrap". I have never seen a Square Deal or used one, so I can't comment on them, but the 550 works very nice.

So you find that you can reload as fast as the Lee even having to load every case into the press, and manually seat the bullet and so forth?

Adam

GTOShootr said:
I bought my Dillon 650 from Ted at Northeast Trading. He has a bunch of 650s and 1050s in the back. They could probably give you a demo, that's what sold me.

I'm pretty sure that he's got a 550 or two back there as well. He's offered to loan me dies when I've been waiting for a new caliber to come in before. So I'm sure that he'll let you check out the 550 if he's still got one.

Adam_MA said:

Adam
I should have my 650 mounted on my bench in a few days. Its going to take me awhile to figure out the powder check and case feeder. My 550 is all set up to do .40. It too is almost new. I'm in Hanson if you want to try them both out side by side. One pull of the lever and you'll be addicted to the "Blue Kool-Aid" forever.

Adam_MA said:

Adam
I should have my 650 mounted on my bench in a few days. Its going to take me awhile to figure out the powder check and case feeder. My 550 is all set up to do .40. It too is almost new. I'm in Hanson if you want to try them both out side by side. One pull of the lever and you'll be addicted to the "Blue Kool-Aid" forever.

Adam_MA said:

Adam

ArmedMainer.....where in Hanson are you? I live there also. I am just three doors down from Damiens Pub. What is your load data that you are using for the .40?

I am resetting up my 550 and I am waiting on the conversion kit as we speak.

Do you belong to the Hanson R&G club?

Hamar said:
ArmedMainer.....where in Hanson are you? I live there also. I am just three doors down from Damiens Pub. What is your load data that you are using for the .40?

I am resetting up my 550 and I am waiting on the conversion kit as we speak.

Do you belong to the Hanson R&G club?
Been there all afternoon shooting my muzzleloader Just got laid-off from Landers last week. My wife and I both belong there but we mostly shoot near our house in Maine. We're on State Street. I just drove by your house on the way back from Hanson R+G. I'm using 3.7 grains of Titegroup 1.130 OAL and 180 Gr. Zero JHP's. Nice soft load,meters well,and fairly clean. What was your 550 set up for before you decided to load .40?

ArmedMainer said:
I'm using 3.7 grains of Titegroup 1.130 OAL and 180 Gr. Zero JHP's. Nice soft load,meters well,and fairly clean.

I have tried that load in my Glock 35 and it is very nice shooting.

In my STI, I have to go to 4.7 TG at 1.15oal with a 180 Zero to make Major comfortably about 950fps (not the "squib" loads some people say IPSC shooters shoot).

Hamar, you're welcome to try some, just let me know.

The 550 is currently set up for 44 mag. I also have a complete setup for 9mm for it.

I'm just starting to reload again. All the stuff is still packed in a box waiting for me to build a new loading bench.

Steve,
I'd love to try some of those loads!

Armedmainer....sorry to hear you were laid off. Do you know Ed and SuLin?

I've got a Square Deal and a Dillon 650. The Square Deal is automatically progressive, but you need to place both the case and the bullet by hand. It cannot load rifle-length cartridges. Still, it's a good deal for the money. When you buy it from Dillon, it comes with all dies pre-set for factory spec ammo in the cartridge that you choose.

The 650 is automatically progressive, but the case placement is automatic.

I change cartridge set-ups in both machines regularly. While it is vastly different changing the two machines, it takes about the same amount of time (15-20 minutes including primer-size change and a thorough cleaning).

My typical loading rate: 400 per hour in the Square Deal, 600 per hour in the 650.

I have a Square Deal press and like it, however...
If I was to do it again, I'd definately buy the 650.
The SD is great if you're absolutely never going to change calibers.
The dies are special for the press. Standard dies won't work and the dies for the press are somewhat expensive.
My load-em-once-a-year calibers just don't justify the added expense.
Being limited to a small selection of the more popular pistol calibers and no rifle capability is sometimes frustrating.
If you drop a caliber, the dies are too expensive to just forget about and too specialized to sell locally.

I use a 650 and load a few different calibers on it. The 650 is awesome and I usually load around 700 round an hour. I don't usually rush my reloading because I want consistant rounds. I would recommend getting the 550 over the SDB because it is quicker and you will have more options as far as calibers go. It's only about $100 more and if you ever sell it would bring better resale I would imagine than the SQD.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom